zombies in florida? The T virus is real!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jordanblythe104, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordanblythe104

jordanblythe104 Valued Member

I have been away from the interweb/google machine for a couple of days and a friend of mine has informed me that there are zombies cruising around in florida eating peoples faces off and causing chaos on police radios. I live about 6000 km away from florida and I havn't been on the internet for a while(school doesn't count because everything is blocked) so I was just wondering if this was the case. Also zombie apocalypse discussion thread(what would you do?)

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

There is actually a virus that is going around that is causing people to go crazy that was generated from the red tide on the wester coast of florida. That is why the "zombies" have been near the beach. They're not sure if it is contagious yet.

3. jordanblythe104

time to break out the nugget I guess

pic related, it's a nugget
    [​IMG]

4. jordanblythe104

sorry for double posting

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Heres the article its from.
    they speculate that he was a crack haed who got his hands on some of that there angel dust.

6. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

They have speculated everything thing from cocaine psychosis, PCP, plant food, bath salts, to “a new potent form of LSD” (which is absurd). I.E., they have no idea what happened, so until toxicology comes back, their all talking out of their back sides. I mean, there are so many different types of drugs that could be involved it’s not even funny. Of course there are the mainstream substances, and that list is long enough, but there’s also a rather large and growing list of research chemicals. Most of which I doubt any of these people have even heard of. Could it be something already mentioned? Sure, it could even be a combination of them, it could be drugs and poor mental health colliding, but it could be none of them.

I know, it’s a rant. But it irritates me to no end when journalists do this.

7. niftyniffler

niftyniffler Valued Member

I read about this incident yesterday - I am going with the theory that a sledgehammer will be a handy tool in the zombie apocolypse because it never runs out of ammo.

8. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Too slow, any time you miss, or if there's more then one, you're humped.

9. Asterix187

Asterix187 Valued Member

I hope its not Zombies, I am going over there is a few months and don't feel like going all Walking Dead! I was thinking more of Miami Beach...

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What I find dumbest about the whole incident is people making light of someone having being terribly maimed by having their face chewed off by a psychopath.

People grow the hell up.

I'm half tempted to lock this thread for sheer stupidity. I'm hard pressed to think of another incident where people think it's such great fun all at the expense of an innocent person
    that is this severely hurt. Have you muppets ranting about zombies actually read the report of how badly this man is injured? Have you tried putting yourself in the shoes of someone who is so badly injured? How long his recovery is going to take? Did you give it any though at all or did your brain just make the connection to whatever zombie game or soap opera you're on at the moment?! Let's throw all empathy out the window so we can be amused with our own witty connections to pop culture regarding this incident.

:bang:

Really, really dumb.

11. slipthejab

Of course they're going to play out scenarios in the news until the toxicology tests come back. This type of behavior could easily fit into any the drugs they've listed. Even more so if they're dealing with someone with some form of psychopathy or schizophrenia.

What does it matter if it's some new experimental drug that 'none of them have heard of'.... is this some sort of race to be the hippest and most up on what is the new high on the street?

It's well within a journalist sphere to speculate what the causes or motivating factors were on such an incident.

12. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

People make light of tragedy all the time, consider the news coverage, has ANY of it considered the victim? Every single item has been about the perpetrator. The only reason it's international news is the pop culture angle.

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Which is why it's extra screwed up. I'm all for making light of serious situations and I've been part of a culture that boasts about blowing people apart or shooting them and talking about doing some pretty messed up stuff. That's an entirely different attitude one has to adapt to do a certain job though, and at the very bottom of it there is often still a deep form of respect and acknowledgement for those that fall on either side of a conflict.

But there is a lack of any sort of respect here. There is a proper way to make light of things, and this particular situation is not combative or for a cause, it's just a tragedy and the jump to "oh no zombies!" is a little pathetic. I'm not going to get up on a soap box and reprimand anyone, but if people's first thought was "oh no! zombies!" rather then, "wow, that poor guy, that is something friggen crazy, I'm glad they shot that guy right away and I hope this guy's life can be recovered to some state of normality" then I find it a little troubling. I don't think that assessment can be based correctly on this particular thread though, as I'm sure its entirely possible that people had a different reaction before "making light" and posting on this thread. Who knows though, and honestly I don't really want to know. I like having faith in humanity.

14. WatchfulAbyss

What happened is gruesome enough without playing on public fears and perceptions. A man is dead and another had his face horribly mauled, so they don’t need to capture people’s attention with drug talk, they already have it. More than that, it would be nice if they didn’t give any reason to dismiss the veracity of any accurate statements which may follow, if there is indeed a drug involved.

Which I already stated.

It matters because people need to be able to believe them if something is found. Especially if it’s something obscure. If they just run off at the mouth eventually people stop taking them seriously. It’s a boy who cried wolf type of thing. As for this being an attempt at sounding cool, I assure you it is not. I have friends who are dead as a direct result of drugs, and drug crime. I see nothing cool or funny about it.

Edit*

I was in a hurry earlier and would like to add to this:

While it’s important if it’s something obscure, (like for example, MPTP which has been accidently synthesized while trying to produce MPPP/it’s a Meperidine-analog) it’s also important if it turns out to be an uncommon side effect of a fairly common drug. It would also be nice to know if it’s some sort of interaction between drugs that are generally perceived as being ‘relatively’ safe on their own (whether they are legal or not). As it stands, a lot of people have latched onto the idea of it being bath salts or even PCP on several sites that I frequent. It’s dangerous for them to assume that this couldn’t be a drug that they themselves may be using, now or in the future.

Now, it’s a given that some people will surely ignore the information regardless of how it’s reported; however, they do nothing but make it easier to ignore them when they just randomly name off substances. Some of which don’t even exist given that there is no “new more potent form of LSD”. The LSD remark was a reference to bath salts as far as I can tell, the problem is that the compounds aren’t related and it’s dangerous to have people watching out for ‘new LSD’ if they should be avoiding bath salts. (Of course they would be better served by just staying away from these things in general, but you know as well as I do that’s not how it plays out in the real world.)

Sure, they do this stuff all the time, that doesn’t make it a good thing.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  15. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

i agree with slip....gross! why the hannibals are comin out lately i have no idea.....we just had someone send a FOOT to the Conservative party of canada. Now I hate Harper as much as anyone but this is morbid! and another article about a man cutting himself and tossing his intestines at people. Sick!!

16. WatchfulAbyss

Are you referring to the guy in New Jersey? If so here is an article:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Hackensack_man_stabs_self_throws_intenstines_at_police.html

17. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

Apparently this guys wasn't the only person in Florida recently to attack someone in a "zombie like" way.

18. slipthejab

Ugh. Have you ever taken journalism? Seriously. Speculating that drugs may be involved and which drugs that might cause that type of behavior isn't somehow a violation of journalistic integrity. The case is sensational enough so I hardly think there is any attempt to capture more of an audience with a drug angle. In fact I'd wager that most people who read about this immediately suspected drug use. Or mental illness. Or a combination of both.

For the news media to go and speculate on those three same circumstances is totally normal and within common journalistic practices. Nothing wrong with it. If they had said that drugs were involved with absolute certainty and they didn't know... then you have a problem. But they haven't done that. Take a journalism class or several years worth and you'll see that there isn't any huge violation of journalistic integrity here. In any event where a person dies their life and their habits come under the microscope... people will speculate... the media will be the last to wait for toxicology reports before speculating. That is entirely normal. Speculation is a normal part of the journalistic process.

19. WatchfulAbyss

Nope, but I don’t think that bars me from pointing out what I think is useful and what isn’t.

This has nothing to do with what I’m saying. Whether it’s something violating journalistic integrity doesn’t speak to whether it’s a disservice to the general public. I.E., it irritates me on a personal level.

I disagree that the drug angle isn’t intentional. I don’t think it’s played up as much as it could be, but I do think it’s intentional.

As do I.

I agree that’s its common, I don’t agree that this means there is nothing wrong with it.

I am glad that nothing I’ve come across has made any claims to certainty. That doesn’t mean I like all of the speculation as it has negative and potentially serious side effects.

Unfortunately my personality and current station in life would seriously suggest that this would be a waste of money and time for me. That said, I’m not questioning whether these people are being true to journalism, I’m taking issue with journalism itself on this issue.

I agree that it’s a normal feature of their process; I don’t however think it should be where things like this are concerned.

20. slipthejab

Ok so speculation in journalism is something that rubs you the wrong way. If that's the case then I'd say it's time to reassess your understanding of what journalism is and how it works. What are the boundaries of journalistic integrity.

Personally I don't have an issue with it. News always has a bias. It's one of the first things they'll teach you in journalism 101... So anytime there's bias there's bound to be conjecture and speculation. Speculation and conjecture are part of what add interest to a news piece. If they take it too far and start making fact out of speculation then you have a problem... at least concerning journalistic integrity.

It seems this is just your own personal bee in your bonnet about drugs. Fair enough. Everyone has the things that bother them. I personally don't have a problem with it and by journalistic standards there is no problem with it. I'm not really seeing how it's a 'disservice to the general public'. Sorry to tell you.... but that it irritates you doesn't make it a 'disservice to the general public'.

So would you suggest there is no speculation of any sort in news pieces? Should journalists leave out the conjecture and just run out a very short list of 'facts' so as to strain towards some random ideal of 'the truth'? Or would you limit this to just any news story with drugs in it? How much would you limit it? What would your structure or your limits for mentioning anything other than the 'facts' be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.