Zma

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by CosmicFish, Dec 3, 2005.

1. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm thinking of trying ZMA. I'm not lifting (yet - starting very soon), but I'm also interested in it's reputed sleep-enhancing properties.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but could you get the same effects by buying Zinc tablets, Magnesium tables and vitamin b6 tablets from a chemist and taking enough to bring it up to the following dosage:

Zinc: 30mg
    Magnesium: 450mg
    Vit b6: 15mg
    (Above dosages taken from myprotein.co.uk)

I don't know a huge amount about vitamins or chemistry, so I'm wondering if ZMA is simply these three ingredients or if it's more complicated than that.

2. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

While I'd be the first to question any supplement, I'd also be the first to say ZMA works.

For sleep :)

I'm currently taking it just for that. Any other possible gains from ZMA are just pure hype, IMO.

The reason it helps with sleep is directly related to the magnesium aspartate; it relaxes skeletal muscles, and also causes vasodilation (to a lesser degree).

I've tried various forms of Mg, but none seem to work quite like ZMA; I'm fairly positive Zn has no relation in the sleep-inducing quality, but I can't be sure on the B6.

If your going to use it, make sure to steer clear of any form of calcium prior to taking the ZMA---Ca inhibits the uptake of Mg.

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

One of my friends stopped taking it because his acne went crazy, it might have been incidental, but it cleared up when he stopped.

4. JKD_forever

JKD_forever DEADLIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZMA works. And it's not a hype. It's scientificaly proven that ZMA increase anabolic hormone levels and muscle strength; it boosts test up.
    This is probably one of the best natural supplements you can have.

5. Hedgehog Ninja

Hedgehog Ninja New Member

I have to ask for those who don't know. What's ZMA?

6. JKD_forever

Zinc, Magnesium and B6

7. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

dreams

I seem to remember that the proportions of the ingredients are very important, so if you mix your own make sure that you get it right.

In addition to a great night's sleep, it also has the bonus side effect of giving extreemly realistic dreams ;)

8. CosmicFish

Thanks for the replies so far. The essential question "can I make my own" remains though. I think I might just try it and see what happens . . . :D

9. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Great supplement IMO. Apparently home concoctions work reasonably well but don't really compare to the potency of ZMA. It's cheap and it works - what more could you want?

10. CosmicFish

Any idea why? I was doing some Googling earlier, but could only find the usual sales blurb on it. Is it something to do with the way they mix it, or are the sources for zinc & magnesium different in ZMA to those used in the isolated vitamins maybe?

Oooh, I dunno, how about having it delivered to my door on a silver plate by a lady in a bikini? Actually nah, I might forget to take it then!

11. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

It's the form that's the most important Zinc and Magnesium Aspartate. But, ZMA in general gets a big thuymbs up from me. Sleep is definitely deeper and I "awake" better when I take it.

Who needs the bikini?? :Angel:

12. JKD_forever

Just remember - don't take it with calcium (i.e milk ). Calcium wins and you don't want that. I always drink milk b4 bed so watch out

13. CosmicFish

I heard that too. Competes with the Zinc (and wins), doesn't it? I think the protocol for taking it with milk is: ZMA 30-60 mins before bed. Milk or shake immediately before bed. This gives the ZMA time to be assimilated before the calcium enters your system.

14. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

Thought I'd add a review of ZMA after 1 week.

Purchased Ultimate Nutrition brand ZMA locally for $24 (CAN.)

I workout after work and usually get home from the gym around 7:00. That means I'm not really finishing supper until 8:00. I take the ZMA around 9:30-10:00 and go to bed a half hour later.

First two nights my sleeps were more restless than prior to supplementing with ZMA. I found I was awake often and thinking "where is the deep sleep and lucid dreaming?" I think this was a psychological effect of having too much expectation. Also the first night I took it, I could feel my whole body getting "heavy" about 20-30 minutes after taking it. Probably placebo effect, it was after a heavy upper body workout after all.

My sleep settled down the rest of the week. The last four nights have been deeper sleeps, deeper than before the supplementation. It's not always 2 hours after eating, sometimes only 1 hour, and I've gone to bed immediately after taking it a few times as well. Doesn't seem to have any effect either way.

The ZMA does not help me fall asleep, but I do think there may be a positive effect on the restfulness of my sleep. Considering it had the reverse effect the first two nights, I think I'm beyond any possible placebo effects now.

My dreams... I can't say they are more lucid. Certainly no nightmares. I do seem to have better dream recollection though. Nothing complete or crystal clear but people or faces or specific scenarios from my dreams now pop into my mind during the day.

My libido has increased somewhat, and this is definitely not placebo. Anyone who has gone through a period of low libido knows how crappy this can be, and hard on a relationship. It's a very difficult thing to explain. Having an increased libido is great. I hope this is a sign I've have a good testosterone reaction from the zinc. I'm considering blood tests now for my test level and perhaps I'll look into a tribulus-based supplement if there is a lot of room for improvement.

Anyway, there has been a recent interest in this on the forum and I thought I'd post my own experience to add to the collective.

15. CosmicFish

Thanks for taking the time to do so Blake.

Incidentally, I was in Tescos a few days ago, browsing their vitamin section (as you do). I was going to buy some Zinc, Magnesium and b6 to give it a go, but I read the ingredients on the Zinc - the primary ingredient was Calcium Carbonate! Doh!! It went straight back on the shelf.

Where would we be without places like MAP! :)