ZMA and Casein Protein, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DSDbronson, Nov 26, 2006.

1. DSDbronson

DSDbronson Master of Sports & Women

ZMA or Casein, which do you take before sleep? If you take both the milk from the shake and the Casein cancel out the Zinc and Magnesium. How does ZMA one night and the Casein the next sound?

I figured out how to be a power puncher one day after one night with the ZMA. But how much Zinc and Magnesium can I really be defecient of. How much more protein, in the form of Casein, do I need. Shouldn't 3 nights a week on the big workout days cover it.

Just wondering who's gone through this with the ZMA and the Casein.

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Personally, I don't know enough about ZMA to comment but Casein before bed is a great way to fire the last bit of protein for the day into your diet. And it is slower absorbing then whey.

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

The ZMA / calcium thing comes up quite a lot on bodybuilding sites. The usual response is to advise the individual to take the ZMA 30-45 mins before bed on an empty stomach, and to take the caesin immediately before bed. This allows the ZMA time to be absorbed, and still allows you to take the caesin as well.

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Thanks for the clarification CF!

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I dont see why ZMA has to be taken before bed. I spread the caps out and have it with meals that aren't that high in calcium (ones with dairy stuff).

Casein also promotes sleep.

6. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

drop the ZMA, its a waste of money IMO which could be used towards a few steaks or a better whey protein.
    I have a good nights sleep because i have a set pattern for night time

7. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Most of the population are deficient in zinc and magnesium its probably worse for athletes, so ZMA is probably a good thing to get. And the only study i found has gotten bad press because the participant had zinc deficiences so adding zinc increased there testosterone, but most people are short of zinc anyway so it would increase testosterone in most people.

8. DSDbronson

ZMA rocks hard, and it's just one of many good supps that happen to cause good rest in the process of doing what they do

9. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Drop the tabs and get yourself a dozen oysters. Eat them 30 mins before bed, and you'll gf will LOVE YOU! Obviously use mouth wash before you go to bed:p.

10. NaughtyKnight

Too right mate. If you need ANYTHING to help you have a good nights sleep, then you need to learn how to do it naturally.

11. James Funaro

James Funaro Formerly "joe nobody"

Having used ZMA to help sleep and therefore I figured my recovery, it didn't do anything the first time around. I took it before bed without any calcium.

When I tried it again I did this: protein shake before bed(casein for you), or a meal. Then I would set a glass of water and the two caps next to my bed and set my alarm for 3 hours into sleep. Wake up, pop the pills, fall back asleep, it took 30 seconds at most.

I did notice prolonged and deep sleep, but maybe it had something to do with the quick interuption. I didn't buy any more ZMA because it wasn't that great, I'm going to start setting my alarm though to down a quick meal or shake mid sleep, that should help with recovery.

12. NaughtyKnight

Interupting your sleep is THE stupidest thing you can do. You just ruined your REM cycle, and reduced the quality of your sleep.

13. Incredible Bulk

deep sleep is when we actually shut down and recover, i'm all for growth but i prefer 7-8 hours of pure sleep.

14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

If I dream does that mean I sleep deep enough because I allways wake up through out the night but I have lots of dreams. I also nearly allways have the "morning wood" which I've heard is a good sign of increased testosterone.

15. Incredible Bulk

You get morning wood to stop you ****ing yourself in the night... ever try and wizz with a full wood? ;)

deep sleep is when you dont even dream, there is no brain function to remember

16. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

I've personally found ZMA to be quite helpful; while there's people who sit on both sides of the fence on this one, I'll always recommend it based on the better quality of sleep I get. Morning wood and increased, er, shall we say MoOD :D is another great side effect. Purely anecdotal, but there no question it's a great training supplement, IMO.

17. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Love the stuff, also it's dirt cheap - especially compared to steak or oysters! :D

18. DSDbronson

I'm just going to add that out of all the sups I take ZMA is one that I'm sure does what it's supposed to. It's one I could actually recommend.

19. flaming

flaming Valued Member

If I had to choose between multi vitamin and ZMA, i'd choose the ZMA.

20. NaughtyKnight

I just ordered some from Biotest. $9.00 shipping to anywhere in Aus, damn good. Got some spike in it aswell, just wanted to see what they were like.