Zinc, Fibre, Omega oils and supplements...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FortuneFaded, Aug 6, 2004.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Hey all,

Recently upon watching 'You are what you eat' on channel four, a program were a health nutrionist examines the leating habits of others, i.e, peoples who's life is processed junk and 7 day a week burger king, i've noticed a repitition in what the nutrionist says, slightly concerned for the numerous mentions to 'bad digestive' systems i've tried to evaluate my own digestive system and i feel rather worried.

Some of the things i've noticed:
    I get constipated frequently
    My stool leaves skidmarks
    I have white marks on my nails
    I suffer from indegestion

All of these problems from what i've found out are caused by the following:
    constipation: Lack of Fibre
    Skidmarks: Result of too much mucus in the diet, i.e milk which some may know, i made a post about asking about the effects of milk.
    White marks: Not calcium deficency contrary to popular beilive but instead a 'zinc' deficiency
    indegestion: Over production of Acid to combat poor/slow digestion.

So most of these problems can be solved by having more zinc and fibre in my diet and cutting back on the milk of which i have dearly become addicted to... and has resulted with me with a herrmeroid...not fun.

But the problem *again* even though i've sought out this information is that i don't know how to increase my zinc and fibre levels, i.e what foods?

For zinc i know this much:
    Strawberries and pumpkin/sun flower seeds
    Strawberries i eat when in season, the seeds i dislike.

For fibre:
    Museli, sultan bran and brown bread, i eat Burgen bread, brown bread with seeds in it basically.

What other foods will boost zinc and fibre, anyone know? Also the same to omega 3 and 6 oils (good fat) found mostly in fish-which i hate ^^

Anyone know of any supplements?

Currently i'm trying aloe vera with apple juice 15ml of the vera to aid my digestive system.

Any information would be grande.

And yes, i know i'm one of those irratating hypercondriacts ^^

but humor me :)

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Fruit and Vegetables, try eating some. 'Brown Bread' is just White Bread that has been Dyed....Get Wholemeal Bread, preferably a real loaf from a Health food store. try other grains such as Kamut, Spelt etc etc. Same with the Muesli, get a proper one that's not loaded with sugar.
    Get some Flax (Linseed) Oil, to pour over your food, put in shakes etc. Don't cook with it, as you'll destroy the Omega 3 and 6 in it. Flaxseed Oil has approx 3 times the Omega 3 in it, than Omega 6.

Hemp oil has about Equal O3 and O6 and is also very useful.

You could also get some Linseeds and grind them up with a coffee Grinder/ blender attachment etc. You can also get Flax Oil and Hemp Oil Capsules...
    Good Luck.

3. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

Alrighty man,

You might check out a fish oil pill first of all; that will get you on your way to your Omega fatty acids. Bran will do you good on fiber. You might check on getting a whole food complete nutrition food pill or a good greens powder from your local health food store. New Chapter (a very very good company) has a super critical Omega pill that would do you some major good.

If you get a complete nutrition pill, get one that has wheat and barley grasses in it, that will help alkalize your body, either that or find a health food store that serves wheat grass shots, it will balance out your body so that you are not acidic.

You prob need more fruit in your diet, which if you have a blender you might try organic juice (without high fructose corn syrup) and add fruit and flax meal and blend it up. If you can get berries, they will be extremely helpful with getting antioxidants.

Don't forget to eat nuts.

I really suggest you take some time to visit your health food store and speak with someone knowledgeable of supplements or if they have an herbalist or nutritionist on staff, even better. We have both at the health food store I work at and they are absolutely wonderful to have around...they are a wealth of knowledge.

4. RazorKaine

RazorKaine Valued Member

I suggest Olive oil - Olio extravergine di olive - if you can find it in some italian food store. Note: extravergine.
    Always eat it raw.

5. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Peristalsis

Olive Oil doesn't have any Omega 3 in it, it has Omega 6...Nice though it is.
    It also has alot of trace elements, but no Omega 3....

Oh yeah, Nuts! walnuts are high in Omega 3. Almonds have alot of Zinc in them.
    You can't go wrong with some nice nuts...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2004
  6. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Hmmm, thanks for the advice,

I've had a look at the bread i eat, i pay no attention to it it jus looks brown hence the reason i called it brown bread, when really it is Soya and linseed bread (soya 13% and lindseed 15), thought he bread still has 'e' numbers in it, never good.

I'll look into the health food store and pills, i guess i'll have to to inverness to find a shop ^^

I also eat my veggies, i.e green leaf stuff like lettuce, rocket, cuecumber, spinnach, brocolli and green beans as for fruit generally strawberries, apples and tangerines, yumm ^^

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Omega 3

I've brought this thread back up to discuss an Omega 3 supplement.

Again... I got caught up in watching one of those infomercials on TV (seems they are always about health & fitness therefore they draw me into them like a magnet :bang: ) The advertisement was by Iceland Health.

I was intrigued by the claims of what their Omega-3 can do .....

#1 superior cardiovascular system
    #2 superior circulatory system
    #3 reduction of blood platelet "stickiness"
    #4 relief from arthritis and many forms of chronic inflammation
    #5 reduction of joint aches and pains
    #6 healthy cholesterol levels
    #7 healthy triglyceride levels
    #8 normal heart rhythm
    #9 healthy brain & memory function
    #10 healthy insulin levels

I've always heard that Omega 3 was a good supplement to take but never really looked into it until now.
    Since I've been working out 5 times a week I've been suffering from constant aches and pains.

I am considering giving this a try ...

8. alister

alister Huh?

Hi there,

Turkey's meant to be a good source of zinc - for more fibre eat wholemeal and for omega 3 - flax seed is good as is oily fish... but I can never be bothered with all the fuss so I tend to go for supplements... Much easier to load up on those than trya nd make sure you get all the right groups in your shopping list!

Try www.healthspan.co.uk - their supplements are good quality and quite cheap (I think they're based in Jersey or something so are Tax free). I've been using Omega 3 capsules for some time now and have noticed a definite improvement in an ongoing knee problem I've got

9. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

They actually sound spot-on. Though, you don't necessarily need to do 4 easy payments of $29.95 for their product. There must be some great places up by you to get fresh seafood. Why not convince your man to take you out for sushi once a week? ;)

Are you doing your own workout 5 days a week and teaching your cardio classes, or are you including your classes in those 5 days? If you're training 5 days on top of your teaching, I'd bet it's overtraining, and could be resolved by adopting a lower volume, personal workout routine.

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I do love fresh seafood but the fish that is high in Omega-3 are sardines, herring, mackerel, and anchovies. Yuck I say... give me a lobster with warm creamery butter!!! Oh I do love sushi.... my man does not! :(

You can eat salmon, tuna or swordfish, but they often contain unhealthy levels of chemicals such as dioxins, PCB's, pesticides, and dangerous amounts of heavy metals such as mercury. You need to watch where you purchase around here.

I know this particular Omega 3 supplement seems costly ... their claim "Only Iceland Health is produced under pharmaceutical grade conditions, and imported from Iceland ... the longest living people in the world! "

I train only 2x a week (TKD) and teach the rest of the time. I lift 3x a week ... no not overtraining by any means.... I do my resting here ;)

Just old age I'm afraid ;)

11. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

EVERYONE should take fish oils! In serious amounts too, not just the 1g a day fish oil caps or cod liver oil. I'm talking at least 1g a day of combined EPA and DHA - otherwise it's pretty pointless and you won't get the effects. The cheap costco stuff is just as good as the expensive gear so don't bother shelling out loads because it's pretty cheap. The benefits are incredible, I thoroughly believe it is going to become a pretty big area in H+F soon enough. I wrote a paper on it at uni so I know a fair amount about it all.

As to more fibre - a good guide to looking for a decent wholemeal loaf is that it isn't very light and squishy and it should have well over 3g of fibre per slice. Other fibre sources are ground flax seeds (good for the healthy fats too), baked beans (check the tin! despite the sugar, still pretty good), wholemeal anything. There are also greens products that can give you more fibre. Try eating fruits too instead of drinking juices if you do, adds more fibre and drops the insulin effect.

12. DJHalliB

DJHalliB R3g1st3r3d Uzer

Thought I'd chime in a bit here. First about #3 and #9. #3 is actually not positive in most cases. Although is sounds pretty good, people who are at rist to become bleeders can do so taking omega 3's. So if you notice that while taking essential oil supplements reduce dosage.

And #9, brain and memory function. This has only been shown in developing children and is because most other nutrients can "piggy back" on the omega 3's into the brain. Its pretty complex and I dont remember it all.

Now for the Iceland claims and others (note, I'm Icelandic and during biochemistry classes we took a very close look at Lýsi, the company in iceland that produces this product). Icelandic fish oil supplements are in fact much lower on toxins and harmful chemicals then its foreign counterparts. This is because of very detailed testing and refined processing technique. A lot of money has been used to make it so.

That being said, fish oils are overrated. They contain DHA and EPA (omega 3 acids) and so the claim is that fish oils are therefore better then flax, which contains much less of DHA and EPA. However, if supplied with enough Omega 3 the body can manufacture DHA's and EPA's from linoleic acid (the primary Omega3 in flax) so simply supplementing with flax seeds is enough for all your Omega 3 needs.

On a similar note, the body also needs only one omega6 to manufacture the other omega 6's. I dont remember what that one is called though :)

P.S. so much study is being performed on omega 3's these days that soon omega 3's will be known as essential to human life because of its plethora of benefits. Also, you get more omega 3's then you think. No fat in nature is only of one type. Even animal fat contains omega 3/6/9. So dont go overboard, aim for a balance of 1/1/1 of the 3/6/9.

13. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

The down-side of the plant forms is that the conversion of linoleic to EPA/DHA is poor.

I forgot to say before, aim for between 30 and 40g a day of fibre. The more the better!

14. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Thanks for the info guys.... I guess I should look into an Omega 3 supplement.... now to choose! :bang: .... cheap or the pharmaceutical grade which is more expensive but as DJHalliB pointed out because of the "very detailed testing and refined processing technique"

I've been reading up on some of these research links ... & thiought I would provide them here if anyone else is interested.

http://www.omega-research.com/
    http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3006624
    http://www.cancer.mednet.ucla.edu/discoveries/1998/drglaspy.html
    http://www.brighamandwomens.com/publicaffairs/news/fish_and_men.asp
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/breastcenter/artemis/199908/comp.html
    http://www.icelandinstitute.is/articles.html