Zhao Bao Taiji - Push Hands

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Dan Bian, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hi all,
    I don't know if this clip has been posted before, but it's quite interesting and some good throws in there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Qex7QFLss"]趙堡和å¼è€å…ˆè¼©æŽ¨æ‰‹ - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy :)

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

AHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not another clip that will provoke the same old.....its good, its fixed, oh no it isn't, it's behind you.

Here goes, I have seen this before, don't know where. I thought it smacked, yet again, of the 'compliant disciple syndrome' and serves little purpose as a training video, but every purpose as an interweb barney starter.:bang:

Cant we have a thread just for these types of clips?

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Actually Carys, I completely agree with you.

Although I still think that the guy in the film is showing good skill, and I don't think his student is playing him up...

The fact is he seems to be performing a demo for the crowd surrounding him. Perhaps this demo is of push-hand techniques. But to clearly explain and demonstrate said techniques, he requires a bit of compliance from his partner. This compliance being limited to "receiving" the techniques, and not trying to initiate the attack.
    But of course, this won't be good enough for some people - not until they both get into "d@ r1ng" and meat it out...

Perhaps this thread should just be closed now... :bang::woo::bang:

EDIT:
    It's probably worth noting, that any discussion here anyway seems to attract people saying "prove this, prove that!" - an attitude which actually ruins the discussion at hand. If no "proof" is provided, then the thread will descend into the usual "you're a liar!" "No, you're just stoopid!" bickering. But if someone does post a clip to try and demonstrate something, it is again jumped all over, and it descends into the also usual "That's fake!" "No, you're just stoopid!" bickering.

Certain elements are severly detracting from the Taiji/IMA forums, and I know of some knowledgable members who have left the boards because of this.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  4. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

This clip is quite good because the guy is not pretending to be anything but compliant.

5. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

As far as push hands goes, it is interesting enough ... though not as interesting as the recent Mario CMC clip.

This guy (in this clip) is supposed to be some grandmaster in henan province (from the Tube messages). In most Asian societies I'm aware of and being SE Asian myself, it would be considered extremely rude to "push" the master (grandmaster), particularly in such a public community forum would be unforgivable ... so video is good only to demonstrate how they do push hands, not necessarily to demonstrate the matchless consummate skill ... IMO.
    Still ... it's an exercise, not the end in itself.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  6. unfetteredmind

unfetteredmind Valued Member

Thanks Taiji Student, I enjoyed this clip. And don't pay any mind to whether or not the clips you post are praised or critisised - some of us here appreciate the sharing of material we haven't seen. Keep posting what you find interesting.