zen judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Southpaw535, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Absolutely! :D

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

If you're going to the meet i'll get you a pack :p

3. mike.Budo

mike.Budo Valued Member

Greetings each
    I don't think you have to be that fit for judo, I train 3 times a week ,I'm an old grumpy git ,I havn't mastered breathing thro' my ears ..yet .But i manage ok Ha Ha . Joking aside i believe everyone should train to thier own individual limit .I also agree ,it would be good to tain with someone of your own size . I wish you well in your quest my friend

yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike

4. Southpaw535

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Does Zen Judo de-emphasis randori or shiai when compared to BJA Judo?

6. mike.Budo

mike.Budo Valued Member

I can't really coment on the Zen Judo as i don't actually do it , As a Budo society we still do randori Ne waza and osaekomi or suwari wazi .as part of our grading system . Static judo doen't work to well :)

Yours in the spirit of Budo

Mike

7. Dead_pool

Thanks for the feedback, sorry I thought you were from them.
    There is one Judo group that only does randori once a month, and I thought it may be the Zenjudo group, maybe not though.

8. Southpaw535

randori's sparring right? If it is once a month I might give it a miss

9. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I can't answer for Judo, but in Aikido randori is slightly different from sparring (jiyuwaza), because in randori you can only attack with attacks the other person has practiced against. In jiyuwaza you do whatever necessary to win (obviously within limits of safety and such :D).

10. Southpaw535

sounds fair enough but still. I think sparring or the randori version of it anyway, is a major part of training

11. Dead_pool

Im not sure if its them but:

http://judoforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7879

''No, there is absolutelly no competition or even randori in the Zen Judo system. For testing they just demonstrate techniques plus terminology. In my oppinion, a very watered down vertion of recreational judo, if that. Their rouhger practice tools are a lot of ukemi and Aikido-like deffences to attacks, using their Zen Judo sylabus''

but http://zenjudo.co.uk/faq-1-The+Zen+Judo+Syllabus.html

''In Zen Clubs progression through the belts doesn't depend on the students ability to win competitions but on there understanding and application of each technique during a formal grading and in Randori (free practice). Having said that we still require Shiai (contest) in all gradings after yellow belt to allow the student to show spirit and a willingness to have a go.''

So maybe head down there and ask?

12. Southpaw535

Thanks for the links. Seeing as their email don't seem to work I might have to head down there but Ineed to find out if I have to be 18 first. That's a bummer though, good thing there's another couple of schools round here huh?

13. tanis

tanis Valued Member

You want to find a BJA judo club zen judo has no focus on fighting

14. Southpaw535

15. moogong

moogong Valued Member

I trained at one of the few Zen Judo clubs here in the US. I was mainly interested in newaza at the time. The founder of US Zen Judo told me flat out that ground fighting was for dogs and he did not train dogs. I still enjoyed the throws and the vibe of the dojo although there was never mention of tournaments or any happenings in the outside judo world. After a while I moved on to a BJJ club and have been fighting like a dog for years now. I hear the US Zen Judo clubs cease to exist now.

16. Southpaw535

this ain't sounding promising. If the dude doesn't get back to me soon I'll look for a different club

17. Dead_pool

Id look anyway, that way you can compare them.

18. Southpaw535

19. APC

APC Valued Member

Southpaw, if you are after a Judo club, I saw one advertised by the Harvester pub at Rowland's Castle (opposite the Shell petrol station).

20. Southpaw535

cool thanks mate