Zatoichi

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Brad Ellin, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Has anyone seen the remake? Thoughts? Comments? I only have one complaint and if you've seen the movie, you know what it is. If you haven't seen it, I don't want to spoil it for you.

2. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to. I hope it comes to a theater out where I live, so I don't have to drive to center city to see it. I'm looking forward to Hero, while we're on the topic of martial arts movies.

3. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Here Zatoichi played only in an "art house" theater. The type you'll never see The Matrix or it's sequels in. Fot that matter, any movie with Mike Myers probably won't make it wither.
    I highly recommend seeing it. See it on DVD when it comes out, and it will.

4. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

There's an artsy theater around my house..they usually get stuff that's done in town. Maybe I'll shlep down there to check it out, though.

5. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Saw it yeasterday . It was geat. I haven't seen any of the other zatoici films , just kitanos.

I don't know whats your complain i don't have any. Maybe it has to do with the guy beeing able to see..

I just though that the guy has gone to the highest level of training and i liked the idea.

6. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Now see, you ruined it for anyone that hasn't seen it. :) In the original series, Zatoichi was blind. Not pretending to be, but blind. That was my only complaint about the remake.

7. alex_000

I liked it . Imagine a guy who lives in blindness just because he wants to achieve a higher level of mastery in his art (cause he doesn't just pretend it for other people to think he's blind, hes constantly ceeping his eyes closed). Freeky...

I've read a lot of magazine reviews that made a comend about what they thought about it, so i figured that people who are interested in the movie will probably know already.

8. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Well, you were one up on me. I hadn't seen any reviews but one for the local theater. No mention of him being able to see.

9. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

I tell you what, his eyes still look as though he is blind when he opens them.

My complaint is the ending with the tap dancing...WHY??!!??

10. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

I thought he was blind - at the end you think he's not but then right at the end he trips over a stone and you realise he is blind and was pretending to be pretending to be blind. (If you can see what I mean).

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Great Movie, I went with my wife to the cinema, got to the end we both loved, then she promptly went into labour and my son was born the next day. He nearly got called Takeshi, he he.

The Bear.

12. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

The film does not say that he could or could not see, he just opens his eyes and some people drew conclusions from that.

I really liked it, particularly the bit where (deleted to avoid spoiling it for everyone else), that was really great!

Tapdancing? Well you've gotta end onna big dance number don't you! :D

13. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Im with Taliar at the very end after the tap dancing scene there is that last twist when he trips over the stone and he says he actually was blind!

14. alex_000

It does .

He says he's living like a blind man because blind men understand the world better when he opens his eyes. (kind off)

15. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

No, he says "Even though I have eyes, I am blind" not the same thing. It's like saying "I can't see the forest because of the trees".

16. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=530

At the end of the article Kitano states:
    "Some people will come out thinking that Zatoichi was never blind at all. Some people will think he was. Both interpretations are allowed."

There is also the tripping on the rock so you see the eyes, that look like he's blind after all.

17. alex_000

that was what the greek translation on the dvd said. He clearly said something in the lines of

I choose to be blind , because blind people understand the world around them better.

Even if the translation is wrong it's SSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO much cooler than your version guys. That's what i ment above about higher level of training.

And the meaning isn't that he pretended to be blind. Its that he never opened his eyes he lived like a blind man , so he could had tripped on the rock

18. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

Hmmm.. well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. :) Good film though!

19. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

yea i was going to see the classic but it began to run too long so i had to leave