Zaad's Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mangosteen, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Post 100!
    Starting wendler fully on monday.

Over head press:
    3 reps 32.5
    2 reps 35.0
    1 rep 37.5
    3 reps 32.5
    1 rep 37.5
    3 reps 32.5
    1 rep 40.0
    3 reps 35.0
    1 rep 45.0
    3 reps 32.5
    1 rep 50.0 (Yeah boi!)

Did some cleans too:
    3x3 40kg
    1x1 50kg
    Power clean 3x3 50kg

I need to film my lift attempts, i keep starfishing the squat.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

:lifting:Damn 50kg!

Wish I could Press that, maybe if I started as young as this...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIitQDHUjb0"]TFW The Resistance Hits Home - YouTube[/ame]

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

things look like they're going well dude, glad to hear, 50kg is a damned strong press @ you BW!

diet ideas look totally solid, pretty much the same as what i run (loosely paleo, carb back/frontloading)

how're you finding the isometric shrugs? always looking for new ideas on my quest for trapple-sawce.

4. Mangosteen

Thanks stevie boy!
    according to strength standard i've finally reached novice for the next weight class up from me:
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/PressStandards.html

which is pretty good considering i've only put in about 2 months of work on a solid routine.
    the wave reps and Bulgarian lifting scheme worked wonders, thank you Poliquin!

I've actually cut benching out and only dumbbell bench and my shoulders feel better and have gained size. need to get my squats and things up to par now.

Your trapple-sawce!
    i do iso-shrugs supersetted with front and lateral raises. hurts like rosemary giving birth to the devil the next day. major DOMS
    but to be honest nothing has been has tiring on the traps as cleans and front squats for 8 hours a day. OL courses = pain.

5. seiken steve

Cool cool, I'll give them a bash tommorow and see how they feel.

I'm the same with the benching, risk and reward dont seem worth it, low incline, DB or low incline DB does much more for me with less pain or risk of injury, suppose that's nit cool though is it? LOL.

6. Mangosteen

SKWATZ!
    5 x 50.0
    5 x 57.5
    17 x 65.0

DB BENCH!
    5 x 20.0
    5 x 22.5
    5 x 27.5

DB PENDY ROWZ!
    8 x 20.0
    8 x 22.5
    10 x 50.0 (with barbell, 25 db was being used. barbell is bicep dominant)

Squats: was aiming for 20, disappointed, at least i didn't fail! it think these something wrong with the spreadsheet, it calculated my 1 RM as 102 from that.
    DB Bench: read the routine wrong, was supposed to hit 25kg got 5+ reps on the last set. Stupid.
    Rows: Barbell is much more bicep dominant due to lack of rotation, was harder than dumbbell, couldn't get same ROM

7. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

I like the SKWATZ Zaad :)

8. Princess Haru

I wonder whether Pendlay Rows should be done under hand/supine grip, as sure I've seen it done in the gym, would that challenge the delts more? This is where T-Bar rows (though they look gay) do work more muscles when done correctly

9. Mangosteen

i was thinking t-bar rows might have been the better option to barbell pendlay but its hard to estimate the load on the t-bar

10. Princess Haru

I know what you mean, I can work up to 20kg added but know even the empty T-bar has some resistance, unsure if it's as much as another 20kg

11. Mangosteen

In addition to normal weight stuff i'll be working on body weight stuff to make my rest days more fun, most this stuff is out of convict conditioning:
    Monday - 1 arm Push Ups
    Tuesday - Carwheels
    Wednesday - Wrestlers Bridge
    Thursday - Pistol Squats
    Friday - Drop Down Bridge
    Saturday - Pull Ups
    Sunday - Hand Stands

Eventually i'll switch out the 1 arm push ups for dips.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  12. Cail

Cail Valued Member

You don't need to estimate the load on the t-bar if you do it consistently the same way from workout to workout. Just find a weight you can manage at your setsXreps, and then work to increase it while not changing anything else (the leverage et cetera) the next workout and so on. Pretty good move i must add.

13. Mangosteen

im using percentage progression hence why i prefer pendlay for the time being. i might switch over to t-bar row next cycle.
    i like the t-bar, good piece of equiment, especially for prehab stuff like t-bar press.

right.
    off for today's work out
    hoping for 20 rep deadlift with 77.5
    then 2x20 close BW squats, 1x5 leg hold ups, 1x5 uneven squat.

14. Mangosteen

again complete failure compared to overshot goals:
    Deadlift:
    77.5 1x11 (stopped cos i forgot i was wearing shorts and got blood all over the floor)
    80 1x3
    85 1x1

80kg x 30sec shrug hold supersetted with 60kg 1x10 snatch grip DL
    20kg one hand farmers walk.

instead of pistol squat work i did wrestlers bridge.

and to punish myself for a crap workout went to a boxing class.

15. Princess Haru

It pays to prepare for whatever workout you have planned. I look at what is on the schedule earlier in the day to mentally prepare how I am going to kill that bar :D I always have some jogging bottoms on when doing heavy deadlifts, part of my regular kit, also got a pair of knee high socks from a supermarket which I sometimes wear on a deadlift day. I keep some of my kit in my locker at the gym, like belt, chalk, microplates, bands, skipping rope, the singlet I had for that comp I didn't wear but use on squat sessions, old belts, probably more stuff I could leave there now I think about it.

16. seiken steve

And how did you like boxing?

17. Mangosteen

boxing was fun.
    it was like light cardio.
    was working on bags. my jab is terribly slow and i could use more work on everything.

had a judo guy from boxing come to grappling open matt today. the guy landed soo many armbars.
    i was able to pin him eventually, i tried using inverse guard cos he was used to conventional guards but he just sprawled out.
    i pinned him and was working on a kimura before time was up.
    probably helps that i had 20 kg on him.
    great thing is he'll be training with us regularly

also i outweigh most people my height by 10kg but im not really bigger than them. weird.

today is walk down bridges!

18. Mangosteen

felt like crap yesterday evening, major trap DOMS (prolly from wrestlers bridge) that exenteded till this morning so instead of doing the walkdown bridges yesterday, i'll do them today and move my wendler day to tomoro.
    in the social health side of things, im trying to get a job, rent out my apartment and study for upcoming exams.
    brb going to take a crap

19. Mangosteen

Ugh.
    didnt do walk down bridges or anything.
    today was:
    DAY 3 WEEK 1 WENDLER 5/3/1
    Overhead Press:
    30kg 1x5
    35kg 1x5
    37.5kg 1x9

Cleans:
    35kg 3x5

Front Squat:
    40kg 2x5

Overhead Press: Was sure i was going to puke in the warm up sets. have felt like crap after DL day and havent hit the numbers i was hoping for or even should have hit.
    Cleans: i really need to video myself. i keep freaking out that im reverse curling the bar and often position my feet too far out on the squat portion.
    Front Squat: lower back is killing me bro

20. Mangosteen

also two hours of open mat where we were working on:
    1). Kimura sweep, Kimura
    2). pendulum sweep, pendulum armbar, aokiplata from armbar
    3). Standing back take break into standing kimura, standing back take break rolling into straight armbar (my favourite, throws them spirally and knocks the wind out of them and when done right, breaks the arm while rolling)