Zaad's Training Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mangosteen, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

YAS!
    I was drilling yesterday through back takes and controlling the back and fighting into rear nekkid, after which we did some rolling.
    We have one big guy (100 kg, loves his power lifts) who drills with us who's new to grappling and we've taught him basic defences and escapes and he's caught on pretty quick.
    We were rolling and i pulled something very sneaky that i wasn' even thinking about.
    I had only seen it once before: The Aokiplata.
    I didn't know the set up for it but i found it extradinarily cool that i figured it out just through rolling and actually subbed someone with it.
    Definitely something i'm keeping in my repetoire.

2. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Nice one Zaad! Must have been the most epic feeling ever.

3. Mangosteen

It was!
    I pulled this (video below) but i came up with a much niftier setup. It was odd because i've only seen the video once and i wasn't really thinking about that submission, i just wasnt sure were to move.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcxEIB1jY54"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcxEIB1jY54[/ame]

4. Seventh

I couldn't make out what was happening but was that a choke out?

5. Mangosteen

Yeah, basically the shin, just above the ankle, pushes against their throat, choking them.
    I hate to use Submission101, they've pulled it off terribly in their video, but they have a better angle:
    (i've started the video at a part where you can see it clearly)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnauxGlVm2g#t=1m27s

6. Seventh

Wow, I've never seen that before! Thanks for sharing Zaad, and props to you for utilizing it!

7. Mangosteen

hahaha most people haven't unless they've heard of eddie bravo.
    i'll try to get a video of the set up i used, but that won't be till next saturday when Chadderz is hopefully at my end.
    I'll try not to be my usual self on camera and avoid swearing like a sailor.

8. Mangosteen

GAH!
    I've been trying out a mix of paleo and I/F for the past two days.
    i working on detox with only meat, fruit and green veggies before i start nomming some heavy carbs like sweet potatoes and pumpkins and the like.
    my body i finding the ketosis pretty hard.
    I give my self a 4 hour period in the morning where i eat foodz and then a another 4 hour period in the evening.
    i realised that im really thirsty a lot of the time, not hungry.
    The only problem has been trying to get enough calories down me. hard to do without the heavier carbs.

9. Mangosteen

also i did a postural analysis.
    i've had tight hip flexors and it feels pretty crap after squats.
    I stretched my PSOAS and it feels much better.
    what i thought was my decent posture was actually anterior tilt, disguised by my tight hip flexors.
    It explains why my hips tuck under ATG with weight back squats
    the hips tucking has become pronounced in my air squats after the hip flexor stretch, probably due to weak glutes, lower back and core and tight hamstrings.
    good that i've identified a problem now.
    Maybe my back squat will increase again rather than dropping like it has recently.
    i'm also going to get back on a daily squat variation program.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. Mangosteen

so after the initial crappy feeling of paleo, Intermittent Fasting and the carb cut, i've finally got back on carbs (yay sweet potato) and feel awesome, stronger, a little leaner and just generally better than before.
    it's been good cutting out rice, potatoes, bread and pasta. i ate a lot of that stuff and just nommed it. i've also cut out carrots (for the most part) and tomatoes.
    im going to go light back squats for a while i work on the hip tuck issues.

11. Mangosteen

OH CRAP, i forgot to film the set up for aokiplata
    i've been wanting to film my rolling for a while to analyse it

12. Mangosteen

Im finding fitocracy too tedious to post stuff on.
    Ate some rice noodles today and immediately felt like puking.
    it also made me get super hypo glycemic so i had to rest a while before i went to the gym.
    i guess wheat and rice is out the picture.
    from now on im going to hit the gym in the morning before i eat to prevent the insulin dips.
    Today was a good session, just keeping back squat load low but increasing volume.

Warm up: pylo box standing jumps, air squats, wide air squats, wide, diamond and military push ups.
    Back Squat:
    1x5 20 kg
    5x5 60 kg

Dumbell Press:
    1x5 12.5 kg (each arm)
    3x3 27.5 kg (each arm)

Horizontal Pulls (high sets and reps of various exercises)

PSOAS kneeling stretchs and some halfassed walking dumbbell lunges.

13. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Impressive DB Pressing. Is that standing or bench press? I like heavy dumbbells but at the limit of my range just picking them up and laying back on the bench is harder than the press, some mad rotational forces, very different to barbell bench press, 18s are my limit on overhead press, 20s are most I've tried on bench (though I might be able to get a rep or two with 22s)

14. Mangosteen

oh no, not the overhead, DB bench press. Man i havent tried DB overhead in years!
    Yeah the bar helps stabilise the horizontal axis so theres less rotational force.
    I found that DB press is a lot easier if you perform it like a powerlifter does the bench, DB next to nipples, elbows tucked in then pushing out, it strangely feels like im using my lats and traps more than my chest.
    my bench max was only 60 kg last i checked so hopefully this will help push it, i was also having shoulder issues with the bench but not with the DB bench press.

Yeah i understand what you mean by lying on the bench, i have to reposition myself and my arch when i get to the top of the movement.

15. Mangosteen

Roll with chadderz

Had a roll with chadderz today!

Note to self, get back to learning closed guard.

It was good to train with someone in subs outside my normal partners, it was a different experience.
    I roll with dan (trains only bjj but uses half guard mainly) and mark (strong wrestler who also does bjj but relies on his wrestling skills and doesnt really work guard) regularly but chadderz brought out some things that i knew were missing from my game when i video'd it earlier in the week.
    The main area i'm missing is closed guard game.
    It's not something you work on in wrestling and i've fell out of practice of it.
    We've stopped people guard jumping so they actually can practice real takedowns but as soon as chadderz jumped guard on me, i knew i was screwed.
    Mainly i drill through half and open guard game because closed guard feels a lot like stalling (which when watching dan and chadderz roll, it really felt like it) but i guess thats the wrestling talking.
    Heck i prefer being in turtle over closed guard.
    So, when i get back to bjj over summer, i will definitely be working on guard.
    wrestling seems to cover the funnerer bits like the take down and pinning which im pretty decent at thanks to judo, but even in judo we used to roll and reset when people stayed in guard too long, so a lot of the time we used to just keep them held down in guard to reset rather than try to pass, bloody ruleset hindering development. I actually noticed this problem last time i was training judo and started gi bjj, so development of skill will take time to break old motor patterns.
    i also noticed from videos that although i do well under freestyle and points only no-gi, im terrible at adapting to the ruleset change to subs included, so im wondering if cross training is hindering or helping.
    i gave up my back so easily when we rolled with subs on film, half of it was like i wasn't even thinking, i even turn around the other way at one point when standing. horrible.

16. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Your post has been moved here. Happy training!

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Saw some of your videos, well done. Especially remember you doing a high single on someone and he got dumped down.

I just want to make teeeensy tiny comment and thought to put it here rather than on FB (in case any of them are reading ;) sshh)

Stop arching your back so much. When youre arching (hunch forward) and then you get into a collar/elbow tie up, its easier to push you down as your head naturally already is looking down and the curve forces you downwards anyway. Try to keep a straight back, but also in a low stance.
    The back actually helps your during the collar/elbow tie up as the lower back is also engaged and trying to "snap" you down wards is harder as my one hand on your neck is now trying to compete with your entire upper body.

Which is pretty standard :) If you do a closed guard on me (wrestler) thats a PIN and I win!

If it makes you feel any better, I do the same thing when I'm grappling/subs. I tend to be better at No-Gi than Gi and when I get on my back....instinct kicks in and I lie on my front! Not a great idea when going up against BJJ Purple Belts.

Keep up the good work and I can see you have progressed a lot since I last met you. Itll be interesting to wrestle you again.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  18. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

To be fair, I tried to open my guard against Dan, but he wasn't even trying to pass :/.

I need to work on my wrestling, finishing when in the mount and dominant positions in general. Fighting for dominant position rather than pulling guard.

Just lots of things I need to do, but I think all the above just means "be more aggressive".

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

(not to hijack..but kinda am)

What would you mean by agressive? whats the intention/issues?

20. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well, in a scramble, I'll more likely pull guard than fight for position, purely because I'm very comfortable there. Also, in no-gi, my wrestling is fairly terrible, I'm trying to improve, but basically what I'm saying is that I'm comfortable on my back, for sweeps and reversals, but in wrestling and more importantly MMA, it's not a great position to be in. So I want to fight for good position more, and hold position too, rather than letting it go.

EDIT: Also, I'm actually quite comfortable on top too, but I'm still indecisive and generally need to improve lots.

Best not, eh? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012