Yvel strikes ref - video

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Sever, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Sever

Sever Valued Member

This event took place in Finland a few weeks back and culminated in Gilbert Yvel striking the referee. Playing Devil's Advocate for a second, the ref was clearly being very aggressive towards Yvel and was partisan to his opponent (who's team he was linked to), and his decision on the restart was probably wrong.
    What's your opinion on this? Personally, I think Yvel has gone too far this time. He's never been on especially good terms with the rulebook, but smacking an official is never acceptable. Anyway, discuss and argue and stuff :)
    Here's the video (the first one I've hosted on my webspace) Clickety click

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That was one of the poorest displays or reffing I've ever seen. The guy had NO presence or control of the situation at all.

Having said that - Yvel was WELL out of order and the Ref should sue him for assault.

Neither he or Yvel should be allowed in a ring again.

3. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

This is pretty bad but the ref was soooooooooooooooooooo poooooooooooor and Gilber is a quality fighter. He really deserved better but then hitting him is 100% a no and kicking the guy when he is on the floor is 200% a no and he should be dropped from that type of tournament for good.

Like in a UK event I was at when Andy Davis (A Ref) had to restrain a fighter with an excellently slapped on rear naked choke.

Was very cool and on the cover of Combat Mag I think?

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

The ref certianally did look abit aggressive towards Yvel; but non the less, striking out at a ref should never be tolerated.

Yvel is known for his dirty tactics. I've always heard of Yvel being referred to as one of MMA's dirtiest fighters; and personally, someone like that should be kicked out of the MMA curcit. Rules are there to make the sport as safe as possible; breaching these rules could lead to serious injury.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I think it's the opposite problem. The VERY first time Yvel shook the ref's attentions off and would not make eye contact with him he should have stopped the action and laid down the law - hard. He didn't have the mental or physical presence to do that.

6. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Very true Dave :)

7. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

What do I need to watch this movie.....it says I don't the right programme or something ?:S

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

It's a .wmv, it should run in just about anything. I used Windows Media player, try updating your codecs :)

9. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Probably...using old computer:D

10. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I dont think the ref was aggressive at all, like yoda said its the opposite problem, he was too soft on him from the start of that clip....what happened was out of line but good on the other fighter getting out of the ring....best 'move' in that whole clip.....

def agree with sue for assault claim

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

First time I watch the video, It looked to me that he was heading over to Yvel to give him a grilling just after he wiped the other guys face clean with a towel; but he never did.

It was, without a doubt, bad reffing for sure. He obviously didn't have any idea as to what he was doing. But that does still not justify knocking the ref out.

EDIT: I just read that Petteri Maunu's (the ref) jaw was fractured in two places. And required operation the same weekend this took place; he was discharged from the hospital two days after the incident.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  12. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

There was an incident once in a less official event or something when more and more people kept on joining the ring illegally and tthey went through 6 refs before they decided they couldnt handle damage costs no more

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Yvel got arrested imidiatly after the incident, but was not charged.

He still seems to be in the fight circuit too; as he is soon to be fighting a fella called Valentijn Overeem.

14. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

weird. i know nothing about MMA reffing but that guy doesn't look like he's even vaguely in control of the match. Not that that deserves a punch in the face thou.

15. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

definitely some weak reffing but that punch and the kick while down was just way outta line. I know they are fighters but it is still sport....Sure Lenny Mclean fought with hatred but shouldn't these guys strive to make this a sport rather than a fight?

16. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

That vid made me chuckle, it was out of order but was still a chuckle moment

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It is a sport... and a very good one at that! But unfortunatly, like most sports, it has it's bad apples; and Gilbert Yvel is certainally one of them! Not so long ago, he was disqualified for intentionally sticking his thumb in Don Frye's eye during a fight.