Yudo?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Korpy, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Now I heard that there is a Korean martial art called Yudo, which is a variation of Judo, that broke away from the art of Judo.

Now I was wondering what exactly is Yudo.

Also are there any Yudo dojangs in Illinois?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Donn Draeger considered it a poor man's judo - and to be honest it probably is (although I have not seen much of it). You are better off sticking with Judo if you want that sort of thing

3. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

What do you mean "poor man's Judo"?

4. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

short answer;

"Yudo (in its current form) is a traditional martial art derived from Judo. However, unlike Judo, Yudo focuses on self-defense applications rather than competition."

this is one of those martial arts that will be hard to find much useful information about.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Thank you.

After what I just read, it doesn't sound like a poor man's Judo.

6. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

Try this link for contact details (they may be able to advise you of a dojang near you, if available):

http://www.usyudo.org/

7. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

As I understood it, technique-wise Judo = Yudo

Yudo is just Judo in Korea. You may/may not know but the Koreans don't like the Japanese or anything of Japanese origin (after they were occupied by the Japanese pre-WWII). Therefore, they have re-branded Judo as Yudo and Karate as TKD, to make them more "Korean" and have tried to sever the Japanese ties. Therefore, IMO if you go to a Yudo class you will just be learning Judo techniques. The teaching style might be different (more/less traditional?) with Korean terms. I were you I'd try both Yudo and Judo classes and see which instructors and their style of instruction you prefer. Technique-wise you'll be learning the same thing.

8. MJR

MJR Valued Member

yudo

"Yudo" is the Korean pronunciation for the characters which comprise judo in Japanese. Most yudo in Korea is identical to Japanese judo and they compete under the same rules with judoka. Judo was introduced in Korea during the colonial period of Japanese domination along with Kendo/kumdo and karate/kongsoodo/tangsoodo.

There are other groups which interpret yudo differently and stress self defense more but these groups also exist for judo and do not represent the main line.

As for Korean yudo being "poor man's judo" I'd like to see the context for that quote as even in the 1960s (as it is true today) in Draeger's day many Judoka went to train in Seoul from the Kodokan as the Korean yudo-in trained so very hard and performed so well in competition.

9. ivica

ivica New Member

I am not sure, but isn't there one major difference: in Yudo they don't teach/learn Kodokan kata. Ergo - yudo is Korean name for just a part of judo. Correct me if I am wrong.