YouTube tips (or anything else) for taking balance

Discussion in 'Judo' started by aikiMac, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Mostly to develop opposing skill sets.

1) To me the rear corner unbalance point is the best one to get but also the most difficult to become proficient with. Being the best and most difficult, I feel it should be worked on from day one because it takes longest to learn. Sumi otoshi works this unbalance point.

2) To me the front corner unbalance point is the most common and easiest to get. Uki otoshi works this unbalance point. Between sumi otoshi and uki otoshi there is a complete set with working the most difficult with the most common unbalance points, using one to set up the other.

3) Another reason is to learn to use atemi in Judo. The principle to learn is to always stun and/or unbalance on contact. From the lapel grab, there is an undercut punch to under the chin of uke. This is a short ranged undercut punch that uses the lifting power from the legs and hips. If the lapel was not grabbed, this would be a short ranged undercut striking under the jawline/chin of uke. However, with the grab, it becomes a type of atemi that is different than pure boxing. I call this type of short ranged atemi, "accidental atemi". It can be very difficult to master because it is striking that doesn't leave much if any visible damage and is done without malicious intent. Basically, filling a space with your body (e.g., fist/forearm) and it becomes uke's fault if they get hit. Whether uke moves on their own out of the space or uke is forced out by getting hit, both create the movement needed to setup the lifting and unbalancing.

4) Another reason is learning to engage the elbows while getting uke to move their feet. A principle when entering is to engage the elbows to allow entering deeply. Lifting the elbows is hard to do when uke keeps them in and tight to their body. With sumi otoshi grabbing under the elbow, uke's elbow is first pulled out (in the direction that strengthens the arm), then lifted using the undercut punch described in #3 above, except under the elbow instead of from the lapel (which requires more extension).

5) Lastly, I was taught to throw uke into something. The word "projection" describes throwing. Although many techniques can be used to cause the opponent to land badly when hitting the ground, sumi otoshi and uki otoshi are better for throwing uke into things like a wall, car, furniture, etc. So this aspect is useful in self-defense.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Osoto, koichi, ouchi all work that direction.

Harai goshi and uchimata both work that direction.
    Studying judo to learn striking is like studying French to learn how to swim.
    Yeah, but sumi otoshi and uki otoshi are incredibly difficult to execute. There is a reason they are very rarely seen in competition (I don't think I've ever seen a sumi otoshi done in randori or shiai)

They are really obscure throws that no beginner (or even intermediate kyu grade) should even be looking at with any depth.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

True. I should have mentioned I have an aversion to turning my back to the opponent. I feel these techniques are best if attacked from behind as a counter to being choked or grabbed from behind. I'm throwing in my own personal opinions into the mix of what I think is more useful or not.

It is a special type of striking that is a skill set in itself. It comes with grappling, IMHO. Basically all movement is measured in inches rather than feet (measured in feet being boxing)

I don't get them very often, but mostly the technique appears when the opponent is bending forward and the grip usually ends up on their belt. Maybe this is called something else, but the unbalancing is pretty much the same. Sometimes it resembles a windmill throw.

Fair enough, mostly I use them in drills that include knees and elbow strikes. Not Judo strictly at all.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

If you know what you are doing there is no real turning of the back to your opponent. If you can't see your opponents head at all times, you've gone wrong somewhere (and are probably about to have a serious shoulder injury.

Yeah, but you don't tend to train that in Judo, I mean beyond the occasional smack to the jaw or throat when being a bit rude with your kuzushi - or dirty judo as people tend to call it.

Like a Kharbarelli?

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I've always found, focusing on attacking the "deadangle" the best thing to do.

Draw a line between the feet, right in the middle at 90 degrees is the dead angle, a true honest attack will force your partner to replant their feet to shift the dead angle, this is your initial entry, and how you choose a follow on attack.

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

No not that. However, I enjoyed looking khabarelli up. Thanks.

It is more like the technique at 2:26-2:32 in this video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrH_gM81CXg"]æŸå´Ž 克彦 KATSUHIKO KASHIWAZAKI - OBI TORI GAESHI - YouTube[/ame]

My version sucks compared to what's in the video. I'm doing it from almost a sprawl. In the video, he is driving the opponent back first. I think I try that.