youtube taikai 2006 clip

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by maf, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

Wait..Did you see the footage in the Vunak video? Non-lethal cut? Do you honestly think that would be as easy as you make it sound?
    Regards..Interesting thread..

2. Tengu6

Tengu6 Valued Member

Koyoku,
    the situation in which Ed was demonstrating the technique was not for that type of attack, it was a mugging.....also, in the clip, he was only focusing on a PORTION of the technique....ONLY ONE POINT.....The technique in it's entiraty DOES take the opponents space AND uses a strike to set it up. Ed also has the uke's foot pinned, which you dont see, AND because of Ed's use of space (the concept was mentioned earlier by Ben) the uke does not have the power or leverage to remove his foot.....you are not seeing everything in that clip.

Markk Bush
    www.bujinmag.com

3. Koyoku

Koyoku I enjoy pudding!

Ahhh so desu neh... :rolleyes:

4. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

Did I ever said that I think it would be easy? Of course not. Not for me... There is always a chance of being cut. I think that when you have knowledge of how to control and manipulate the kukan like Papa-san does, the chance of being cut, especially with a lethal cut, are significantly smaller. When you can control kukan at will, the reality of whether an opponent is armed or not becomes relatively unimportant. Would you agree with that Ben?

5. Big Will

Big Will NinpƓ Ikkan

Yeah, it was from a hold up, not an attack. And we were told to work with our whole bodies - he stressed many times how important it was NOT to do the movement with armstrength, but rather press everything against your body as you move in.

I don't know, we did that drill with the uke told to (after a while of drilling) cut immediately as he sensed movement or danger from tori - because of the angle of the knife, positioning and movement of the body, it was difficult for uke.

6. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

the fact that ed's hips were replaced as pointed out by dale earlier in the thread is the only excuse I will accept.. big will has stated he instructed to use the body.. ed's own movement might not be able to twist easily or with any force.. which kinda explains what he appears to muscle through the movement with arm strength...

as for this:
    anyone who believes this is fooling themselves... and to impart this to a student is the definition of foolishness...

good day

7. Big Will

Big Will NinpƓ Ikkan

Do you even know what kukan is? :confused:

8. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

I'm sorry, but the is a lot of hype on Vunak's video. He is, afterall, selling his products. Immediate shock and the other crap is just that, crap. Some people may flip out immediately if cut, others won't even be fazed.

9. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

aside from the fact that is has been defined in this very thread on a couple occasions.... as "space".... i remind you I spent some time in the genbukan as a teen... not to mention it is defined on about 100 BJN sites.. so even you would have a hard time knowing if you had a point with that retort

ad hominum attempts to discredit my assertion that believing
    is one of the most foolish things I have ever read on MAP.. it is RIFE with overconfidence and shows a dangerous arrogance as well as a total misunderstanding of the danger involved in an edged weapon assault.

10. SilentNightfall

SilentNightfall Eien no Ninja

You seem to have missed the part where I said I didn't believe it was easy for me. So where is the arrogance? I have seen Hatsumi-sensei walk past full-speed sword cuts as if they were nothing, turning his head to look in another direction while still maintaining control. At a level like that, I -do- believe that it doesn't matter if the attack is from a weapon or not. Now, I'll take my chances and bet that if you were to attempt the same manuevering, you would get smashed, or at least clipped, by the sword everytime. When you can move like Hatsumi-sensei and control the kukan like he can, I may be willing to listen to your opinion if you still consider my statement foolish. Having experience in this art does not make you an expert. Besides, the moment you said Papa-san was muscling a technique was the moment that I knew you didn't have the eyes to see anything happening in that video. From many personal experiences, Papa-san has the lightest touch of any martial artists I have ever felt and has never used anything resembling muscle when applying techniques to me. I believe you can comment after you've had the experience, not just by being a bystander.

11. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Mass is obvious but on a video with breaking boards which I offered to purchase we see who breaks the most. No excusses the results are for all to see and if your using muscles and motion better than me you should break more and I will accept it as fact. It really is that simple.

Again shown for all to see in the vid

Well I will have to see what I can do as in all honest the whole video stinks of compliance and anyone ex Ninjutsu or not who says it you will come up with the stock answer of you dont get how we do what we do same old story. As I said I will do this one and pay for your boards IF you will show me the error of my ways with punching power.

What arrogance I will be inefficient cos I dont train like you. Well money where mouth is I guess

Brining poor old Dale into this is stupid but if anyone wants to have a knock about with me at events I have never had a problem of supporting what I do because I know I can look after myself. I dont look for the win I look for the same surivial you do....Just brining Dale into it is a joke and I dont deny he "might" beat me I dont pertain to be harder than anyone on this forum until I have trained with them. I have extended an invite to the Taijutsu guys to come to Colchester to train with my lot to date zero acceptances although I went to train with them and it was pretty much how I left things - nice chaps though.

Obvious to any martial artist - hence grapplers dominated early MMA events

So you could make me into a muppet. Anyone wanna do this to me as I wont be doing Fudo Kens or unrealistic attacks :D

Oh dear oh dear I love your elite minded attitude it is shocking

12. hendry

hendry Valued Member

Grimjack can you please clarify what it was that didn't impress you? Was it his movement? Knowledge? Skill?

Isn't he one of the first people to have been made a 15th dan by Soke?

Isn't he supposed to assist other junior members? Isn't that part of the responsibility of a shihan.

I have never trained with him, but he does have a reputation for being skilled in the use of the walking cane as a weapon as well as knife.

13. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

I think we all know what you are getting and why posting, and glad you found your link after some research. Since things are getting draconian and so on we will leave this one running as long as it doesn't get openly insulting.

I have trained with Ed. There are things I like about him and not. I would say that Grimjack and I concur on the opinions he has, which by all accounts is a miracle in itself.

14. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

UGH - is the video viewable by anyone? Said Private for me.

I am still looking for it...

-Daniel

15. bujingodai

I didn't check the link sorry, I just remember the thread. If the link is dead I will kill the thread, no sense having it open just to refuel a fire.

i would say that the vid is no longer available on Youtube as it is not one of his most shining moments.

16. bujingodai

Thanks Dan for pointing that out, I'll lock this one up and if he finds a new link then post it on a new thread rather than using this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.