Your training

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Yuen Fen, Dec 12, 2009.

1. NanFeiShen

NanFeiShen Valued Member

Why all the theory ?

Every class i spend about 15 - 20 minutes on Taiji Stepping in various postures, Horses Mane, Fair Lady, Brush Knee , Snake creeps Down etc etc , up and down the class.
    I find it gets the students into the "right frame of mind" at the end of a day, settles everyone down, and allows the exploration of the intricasies of body movement, weight change and co-ordinated movement in the postures.
    This then progresses on to form work, allowing the students a chance to explore the forms and each posture in the form.
    The first sequence i teach beginners is always Grasp Birds Tail, and dont even consider partner work/push hands until the student understands the shifting of body and weight, or the rotation of the waist within Grasp Birds Tail.
    Those doing partner work, work on each posture in 3 stages,
    Junior 1 -2 years "low and strong" learning to lower themselves and utilise their body as powerfully as possible with the least amount of muscle power and maximum balance
    Intermediate 2 -4 years "medium and with intention" learning to utilise the waist and focus where they want to project their power in a medium height stance
    Senior 4 - 6 years and up "small techniques" learning to do each Taiji posture with only the wrist and forearm, thereby understanding the Chin Na aspects of each posture.

Theory wise, the only theory i present is the concepts/idea's of the 13 postures - Ward Off, Draw, Press, Push, Split, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Stepping forward, Stepping Back, Looking Left, Looking Right and Centralising, and the corresponding postures within the forms.

Lots and lots of legwork, and then more legwork - leads to a stronger cardiovascular system, better balance, improved leg and hip flexibility thereby improving the "kua", stronger more powerful kicks, and a better ability to project energy.

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I concur.

I think it's easier for all concerned to impart tactics/techniques/strategies without muddying up the waters asking people to remember them in relation to elemental theories.

They aren't absolutes,anyway-if you're 6'8" and 320 lbs and your opponent's 5'5" and 130 lbs,and not highly skilled,you don't need to evade by sidestep-you can just meet him and crush him.

I suppose now I'll be subjected to the "That's not T'ai Chi" chorus.:eek: