Your Training Uniform(s) - Which do you Prefer?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Curious to know - when it comes to "your" training, which type of uniform do you prefer, or do you alternate?

I speak of "weight" and material...not general's, black belt, etc.

For instince, I generally train wearing my middle-weight Hapkido/Kuk Sool uniform. Very Good Quality, looks very nice, holds the black color well, is not restrictive and is very durable, especially for clothing grabs, throwing and grappling.

On the other hand, when I do heavy ground fighting/grappling with the dobak on, I wear my combat Kuk Sool uniform which is very very tough...

Just for general wear...I do not care for the light-weight uniforms...even when it's Summer (hot). I prefer the middleweight.

Opinions?

2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I agree. It's never too hot that a middleweight uniform would be stifling, and that's the minimum fabric weight IMO to be a worthwhile investment (the difference in price between light & middle weight fabrics is not that great, especially when considering how much longer the heavier weight uniform will last).

Personally, I never bought the lightweight uniforms to sell to my students except as a promotional *give-away* type of thing, to help boost enrollment (and only if I caught a deal from the supplier).

As for the really thick fabric used in the heavyweight uniforms, I can't tolerate them unless going with 100% cotton (for breathability reasons which should be obvious). Sometimes even a poly/cotton blend with middleweight fabrics, depending on the percentages, can be overwhelming when the temperatures start to climb. I've asked others about this before, so I know that I'm not the only one with this POV.

3. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I always liked the middleweight ones too. They just felt better.

Of course these days I really prefer Under Armour. Deals with sweat so much better.

4. KSstudent

KSstudent Valued Member

Milddleweight for every day and heavy for Demo / formal events.
    I like to sweat !!!

5. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Middleweight for everyday training, and I have a black judo gi for extensive throwing and grappling.

6. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i wish i could find a soft heavy stone colored dobok, but medium will suffice. is it the dye that makes the heavy doboks stiff?

7. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

Choladeva,
    I HIGHLY recommend the stone wash Ed Parker Jr. uniform sold by Tiger Claw...It is pretty amazing ;-)

8. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

thanks! are those the ones with the pockets? neways, i miss the gi they gave me for my 2 semesters of aikido. wjen i asked if they made them in black they said no. the company was sakura. again, thanks kidosul

9. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I prefer a t-shirt.
    When I must, I use the instructor's Do-Bak from Gaya Won. I hate sewing on patches!!! Sometimes they rip, but for the most part they hold up.

10. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

Thats the one!

11. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

is that the one with the wide cuffs and hems?

12. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

I don't think it has any wider cuffs, but I am not sure. The fabric is better quality than the standard student one though.

13. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

the cuffs look wider since they use more cloth there or tougher cloth there. either way, that's the only uniform i wear! call me old fashioned, but i dont' like anything else when i train Kuk Sool. doesnt' feel right.

14. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I too prefer these uniforms, they are of good quality and if cared for properly will stay black for a year or so, if not longer. Though I do wish , as Ive said before, that I think WKSA should make a linen suit. Linen is very strong yet very light as well it breathes well too. They could almost make it or reinforce places with a rip-stop pattern.

15. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

really? now thats a thought! i wouldn't mind trying that out.

16. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

linen is dry clean only tho, no? if so, that would be a luxurious dobok!

17. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I have a linen suit that you can wash by hand so maybe not that luxurious, more time consuming.

18. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I have several linen "bowling" shirts and the only special care I have treat them to is gentle(cold) wash and hang dry, which should be done to the normal WKSA uniforms anyway, only difference is that linen dry faster than poly blend.