your training schedule

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Ikken Hisatsu, May 25, 2005.

1. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

im sure this has been done before, but whatthe hell... im interested to see what other people do here for their training in MT or kickboxing. the more detail the better, I might learn something I can use against you... :D
    mine looks like this, my morning training is at the boxing studio at the university and in the afternoons I train at Balmoral Lee Gar-

monday-
    10am-11am: do about ten minutes skipping and stretching to warm up, shadow box for a few minutes. Then I do one hundred roundhouse kicks off each leg onto the heavy bag, 50 teeps, and 50 knees off each leg. after that I do about half an hour going through my bread and butter combos-
    jab/cross/hook
    jab/cross/jab
    jab/cross/knee or elbow
    jab/cross/hook/knee or elbow
    cross/hook/cross
    hook/cross/hook
    cross/hook/knee
    jab/cross/switch kick

then with the time I have left I work on just using whatever attack on the bag like shadow boxing, and pyramid kicks- where you do one kick, then two kicks in combination, then three kicks in combination, then back to two, then one, and then change leg and do the same.

5:30-7(ish)pm- Here I go train at the kickboxing gym, on mondays we just work on boxing. usual routine of about ten minutes skipping rope and then stretching and shadow boxing, then we partner up and do padwork combinations for an hour. sometimes we focus on counter attacks, where our partner hits us with the pads and then presents us with a target, or we work on combination punching, or both. After that we stretch and do some more shadowboxing, and the people who are sparring get their gear (I don't spar much yet, next week i join the fighters club so I spar every day and train on fridays too)

Tuesday and Thursday are pretty similar-

10am-11:30am(ish) similar to monday, start with skipping, stretching. 100 roundhouse, 50 teeps, 50 knees with each leg, then my bread and butter combos. after that I practice on our "fakie" attacks and more unorthodox moves- 2x4 and shuffle punch
    shuffle punch- you switch your legs as if you are throwing a switch kick off your lead leg- good to do it a few times first to get used to the feel- but instead of throwing the kick, you keep your shoulders level while switching, drop your body a little, and throw a punch using what is now your lead hand.
    2x4- anyone who has seen zambidis fight will know this one, where you step out, lift your rear leg as if to throw a kick, and then throw your leg backwards and deliver a cross or overhand instead. kind of hard to do but can be real effective as zambidis shows in this pic-
    [​IMG]

after practicing those two and mixing them up with the "real attacks" they replace I work on my clinch with a regular boxing bag, the kind you can swing around. this way I can pretend like its a real person and twist it around throwing knees and elbows, then spend a few minutes on flying knees (always draws a crowd :D) before I stretch and warm down.

5:30-7(ish)- usual routine of about ten minutes skipping rope and then stretching and shadow boxing, then we partner up and do padwork combinations for an hour- on one of these days we will work on combos and fakies usually, and one day on combos and reaction drills, where you shield up from blows then attack whatever target your partner shows you.

Wednesday and Saturday are my weightlifting days- wednesday i usually go lighter than saturday because I have training the next day. compound movements, low reps of heavy weights- you know the drill. I dont do any other training on these days, except for a bit of shadow boxing, stretching and skipping before and after i lift.

Friday- Pretty much the same as my tuesday and thursday morning workout, no training in the afternoon (until I join the fighter club). sort of a semi rest day to make sure im fine for lifting on saturday (I can aggravate my shoulder quite easily)

And on sunday, the lord rested.

and there you have it! bit of a mammoth post, but I hope you guys will post your training schedules here and we can make it something of a library to steal each others training methods :D

2. K1Mike

K1Mike New Member

I'm not going to get that detailed, because what I practice in muay thai varies from day to day, week to week.

I run about 2-3 miles about 4-5 times a week. I train muay thai about 4 times a week for about 1.5 hours each time. I lift 3-4 times a week for an hour. I'm often doing jump rope, abs and alot of resistance cardio training.

6'6, 240.... and I have a mean low roundhouse too :D

[​IMG]

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

ooh, face blocked out... mysterious :D you look like a gorilla thats for sure

4. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Not enough running in their Ik. Tut tut.

Im in the middle of my exams at the moment so my training schedules all over the place,but ill tell you what is going to happen when i have three months ALL to myself after the exams.

Monday day:
    Skip for 20 minutes. 20 minutes of shadowboxing, working on technique mainly, whilst throwing in some bobs, weaves etc. Then, 30 minutes on the bags followed up by some intense groundwork. Crunches, pushups etc.
    Night:
    Go to boxing, usually consists of a 2-3 mile run, then some sprints, play bulldog for a bit (if you dont know what it is, pull me up on it) and do step ups on the benches. We then go inside and do 8 rounds of bagwork, with some pads thrown in, then some sparring. After that, more floorwork then go home and fall unconcious.

Tuesday:
    Go to gym, actually do some weights. Will see what im going to focus on when i get there.
    Night: Go boxing, consists of pretty much same thing every night.

Wednesday:
    Just shadow boxing in the day. Then boxing in the night, same.

Thursday:
    I work in the night so cant go boxing. So ill run 3 miles in the day, skip, do bag work and some shadowing.

Friday:
    same as wednesday.

Theres not much variation in the days, but if i run on the same day i have boxing, my legs are usually to nackered to keep up, so i tend to save it.

5. sean

sean THOR!

A sign that weights dont work the facial area.... ;)

Now my back muscles are all back to scratch (touch wood) my training is back on track.

Mondays; Go to my thai class, (1h 30 + 1h Fighters class) involving a half an hour warm up + stretch, then whatever my Kru tells us, focus + thai pad work for 1 hour, then the fighters class is just more advanced things, extra power ect. I`ve just been invited to the fighters class aswell ikken.

6ish mile run and more stretching.

Tuesdays; Thai Fitness class at the gym. Whatever gets thrown at us really, always leave drenched in sweat.

Wednesdays; Thai class similar to mondays but this time no fighters class.

Cardio again, normally mix it up with cycling/running.

Thursdays; Thai fitness again for 1h30.

Cardio again (if i have time) Cycling.

Fridays; rest day

Saturdays; Hit the full body weights with my brother at his gym, followed by the stepper machine for 20 minutes more cardio.

Sundays; mornings; MMA class (but primarily stand-up) get in some more fitness, bag work, normally pyramids to 20 kicks. Followed by full padded contact sparring. ( mainly beginners there but some good fighters )

Evnings; Taekwon-do class, this is something im keeping to mix up my martial arts and its a good laugh and good fitness.

and thats it, my schedule, I would be more detailed in the thai sessions but shaolin monk techniques are too deadly! ha ;)

I dont have a picture of me flexing my muscles, because theres not much to flex, typical thai boxers lean physique, an attempt to make it count pound for pound. (thats my excuse :cry: )

If I get time at home I will put in some shadow boxing and Bag work aswell.

6. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

eh

You guys are probably a whole lot more systematic about it than i am...

For cardio - I conveniently live within eyeshot of Ontario's finest biking trails... So I just go out, grab my mountain bike and push myself as hard as I can on the trails for a few hours, a couple times a week on avg. I run in the trails a couple times a week as well with a friend, and I just skip while watching T.V.

Well actually most of my workouts and stretching I do while watching T.V. But I try to make sure I get in at least 200 each of sit ups, crunches, pushups, squats, calf raises etc. etc. in a day.

For technique - I live about 45 minutes away from my gym, so I can only go there a few times a week... so I do a lot of bag work at home, the usual, Just throwing 100ish roundhousse kicks on each side, knees, teeps, etc. etc. And throwing a lot of shadowboxing combinations again, while I watch T.V.

At my gym, we start off with an hour of conditioning, which usually ammounts to about 15 minutes of skipping, 200 various forms of pushups, 200 various forms of crunches, about 150 sit ups, 100 dips, 90 calf raises, 150 squats, a bunch of other strength workouts which i don't want to get into fine detail about on here, and cardio work inbetween sets. Then off to an hour of training/sparring.

That's about it

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

I havent been running lately, im taking a small break from it and seeing if i can get enough cardio work from skipping and pad/bagwork. Will see how it works (probably not very well, but hey its worth a try since I really dislike running ;))

8. TheMaster

TheMaster Valued Member

What happened to the 5 minute skipping equals 30 minutes running thing?

9. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Sunday: 30 mile drive to gym, unlock doors, pull 'lesson plan' out of my @$$ for students, try to avoid doing anything athletic until sparring starts.

Monday:

Tuesday: 20 mile drive to university, demonstration of individual techniques and combinations. Some pad holding for students.

Wednesday:

Thursday: 30 mile drive to gym, make excuses for not working out. Socialize.

Friday: 12 - 16 oz curls

Saturday: Watch cartoons

10. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

What about doing some sprint intervals Ikken - increase your leg speed as well as strength? If you want a bit more time specific endurance for your MT, what about some 400m intervals? Be careful though , they are hideous.

11. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

monday
    day- weights 1, sauna
    night- MT
    tuesday
    night- MT
    wednesday,
    day-weights 2, sauna, hill running and sprints (intervals)
    thursday
    night-muay thai
    friday
    day-weights 1, sauna
    saturday rest
    sunday
    day-weights 2, swimming, sauna

weights routine
    low reps, high sets.
    type of lifts
    weights 1
    deadlift, military press, farmers walks
    weights 2
    squats, bench press, chins and pulls, dips

a typical swimming session will be roughly a mile (60 lengths)

12. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Heres mine for the next 3ish months;

Monday;
    12pm; Weights for 40mins
    1pm; Bag work and skipping for an hour
    8pm; muay thai class, where we warmup through shadow boxing, skipping and heavy bag, then just do pad work for remaining time of lesson

Tuesday;
    12pm; Weights for 40mins
    8pm; ju jitsu class, alot of sparring ground and standup for about 40 mins+, then do some syllabus work

Wednesday;
    12pm; Weights for 40mins
    8pm; muay thai class, where we warmup through shadow boxing, skipping and heavy bag, then just do pad work for remaining time of lesson

Thursday;
    12pm; Weights for 40mins
    8pm; ju jitsu class, alot of sparring ground and standup for about 40 mins+, then do some syllabus work

Friday;
    12pm; Weights for 40mins

Saturday; go to the gym and do an hour of weight circuits and HIIT, then thats me done for the week

Sunday; rest

13. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

nforce if you lift that often every day as well as train you will suffer burn out (that or you are using the fluffy pink dumbbells)

I like your routine Khun Khao, hopefully mine will look like that one day :D maybe with less of a journey though

14. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

hikken, nah i sleep more then enouugh, and eat correctly, my body can recover

only thing that bothers me is, you know how i was asking about my coach who was old, well i settled in there and loved it, the place was awesome and was some really good thai boxers
    BUT
    the guy i train with is a muslim and there was a women there and he wasnt comfortable with it, and as i respect him and his religion weve moved club, to one ran by muslims, and so far it seems ok, i wont fully judge it yet, ive only been twice, but i liked the old place alot,
    life goes on, ill still put in all my effort, so i think sometimes, as long as i put in the effort, ill get good anywhere

15. sean

sean THOR!

jeesus, your seriously deminishing your muscle gains by doing weights so much, aswell as along side your Muay Thai. Seriously I would strongly advise getting up to date with resistance training science, you can cause serious damage ect.

16. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

LOL @ Ikken....

I will share what my REAL fight training schedule was this last year.....

SUNDAY AM:
    1-2 mile run
    2 hours MT training

SUNDAY PM:
    30 min's elliptical intervals
    60-90 min's weight training
    30-45 min's stretching

MONDAY AM:
    2-3 mile run

MONDAY PM:
    30 min's weight training
    30-45 min's sparring
    20 min's pad drills

TUESDAY AM:
    2-3 mile run
    20 min's stretching

TUESDAY PM:
    90 min's MT training

WEDNESDAY AM:
    2-3 mile run
    20 min's stretching

WEDNESDAY PM:
    30 min's weight training
    30-45 min's sparring
    20-30 min's heavy bag work

THURSDAY AM:
    2-3 mile run
    20 min's stretching

THURSDAY PM:
    90 min's MT training

FRIDAY:
    OFF!!!!!!

SATURDAY AM:
    Run stairs until unable to continue running
    45-60 min's light weight training

SATURDAY PM:
    2 hr's MT training

Okay, the above is only a generic outline of what I was doing. I obviously did NOT do all of the above every single week or I would have killed myself, but the above shows pretty close to what my average daily workouts were for each day of the week. I was training at 5 different gyms regularly: YMCA, GOLDS, OSMA (my school), USTKD College (my coaches other gig), and TEAM LLOYD IRVIN'S (sparring). There were some days I'd train with certain of the above elements for a longer or shorter period, depending on where I was at in my training and my energy level. I wasn't actually running EVERY day as it looks above, but I would usually run 4-5 days a week. I would even sneak in additional training time when I could.

Needless to say, my body up and quit on me last fall/winter, and I've been out of commission since. I tried to train as smartly as I could, but I still overdid it and I'm suffering for it now.

(but it's worth every frikkin' moment of pain! TRUST ME!)

17. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Why would i burn muscle if i weight train on the same day as muay thai, id only do that if i wasnt getting enough calories and protein, and like i have already said, i am eating correctly. . .

18. Kyle_s7

Kyle_s7 New Member

Spar with brother evry other night. Spar with friends every weekend. Practice individual moves when boared. (working on good combos). Lift weight every day of the week (exept weekends) and run a Quarter mile every day (also exept weekends) and about once a week ill train the moves I know in in BJJ and learn new ones.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  19. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

Meh, my Sihing (the boxing golden glove) is a Middle Eastern Muslim, and he has no problems with women. :rolleyes: But to each their own.

That's some hella intense schedule Kuhn Kao. I might have to do something like that if I'm planning on going to the tourney (i think it might be my style one, but I'll check) in California. . . . . .

Good routines guys.

20. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

Well it is against there religion, so i can't really say anything except your friend doesn't follow his religion to the best of his abilities.

For a man, hes not allowed to show anywhere from knees upto belly button

A women, only here hands, feet and face can be shown, so when we went to the thai boxing club and there was a women with a crop top and little skimpy thai boxing shorts on, he was really uncomfortable, becuase for him she was naked