Your three techniques.

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Happy Feet Cotton Tail, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Crossword! Don't be so bloody flipant.......

Sudoku

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Valued Member

run away

3. Dean Winchester

Great.

Are you fit enough to do so?

Are you fit enough to run and then fight if he decides to chase you and catches you?

Do you cultivate any habits that enable you to escape and evade in your local cities/towns? For example knowing where the nearest Police Station is? Nearest taxi rank, bus stop? Etc

How about in an unfamiliar place?

Running is the stock answer but let’s face it it’s not as cut and dry as some would make out.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

.......but Sudoku only has one meaning:rolleyes:

5. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

yes it is the stock answer and its never that cut and dry or black and white. totally agree with you but in the interest of due care its better to emphasis that point and then follow up "if all else fails" do this and this.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Side kick, roundhouse kick or hook kick.

All to the face :D

But seeing as I'm a cripple on crutches I would probably say a sharpened screwdriver to the kidneys, liver or eyeballs.

7. chof

chof Valued Member

reverse hook kick or hook kick for a feint,low, now you set up for a m t roundkick, rght below the kneecap, come down at an angle its over you cant walk, you cant fight!

8. Dean Winchester

Guys how you doing that from conversation range?

Kicking range is usually denied you in a lot of cases so I'd say you'd probably need to do something to create some distance so you can do the above. If things have already kicked off then you probably have a chance to move from punching to kicking range but what if it hasn't?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Who says I can't kick you in the head from punching range?

10. chof

chof Valued Member

yea rght a whirlwind kick is great for that!

11. RagingDelirium

RagingDelirium Valued Member

I thought that was what front and side kicks where for?

12. Dean Winchester

The crutches you're walking on do :D

Hope you're on the mend. :)

I'm not a "kicker" hence my question.

I'm genuinely interested to hear what you have to say on it.

13. Dean Winchester

A good portion of the stuff I train in has a basis in fighting in armour so as you can imagine you don't get any high or overly complex kicks, even kicks in our koshijutsu based stuff is generally torso level at the highest. If we kick you in the head it’s because you’re on your knees or some other such position :D

My kicks are low-ish, once upon a time I could have kicked you in the head not so much now, well no I could do it now but not confidently enough to do it "for real".

I'd be interested on hearing how you guys drill such a thing at punching range?

From a self defence perspective of course.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  14. Dean Winchester

Isn't that out of Street Fighter and Power Rangers?

:evil:

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

TBH it's amazing how close a good kicker can hit you from. I saw my son lift a kid off the ground with a sidekick under the chin in a competition once. He was less than a foot away.

16. chof

chof Valued Member

just because your close does not mean your inhibited from kicking, a twisting kick, inverted roundhouse, oblique kick or even a sidekick which is more than efficient coming down at an angle, or whirlwind kick which comes from the knee with little or no hip rotation!

17. Dean Winchester

and how do you drill these?

Scenario:

Some bloke turns on you in a bar (for whatever reason) you're very close punching range almost and with a good chance of things going to grappling range if he goes for you.

What training do you do that enables you to be in a position to deploy your weapons i.e. these kicks you list.

18. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

me, your on crutches ;) :evil:

on the same topic a twisting kick is great for launching to the head from punching distance

19. chof

chof Valued Member

well, if i was in that close, i would be using a hacking elbow, bong sau, but as i said a sidekick is great in close coming down, i train my kicks from all angles without putting my foot down, meaning i kick from where my foot is at the time, kind of like a pinball it keeps bouncing off each limb to destroy the structure , but at times its best to use hands elbows forearms, finger jabs, backfist , ridgehands, knifehandetc....

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ha ha, yes yes, I'm on crutches, very funny fellas :D ;)

Dean,

The drill I use is a simple one - stand face-to-face with my training partner, lift the knee tight and kick to the head. Sounds obvious, but it's quite a tricky one that requires a lot of balance and strength. The key is a high chamber. Hopefully the photos below will better illustrate the idea of the drill:

[​IMG]

I took this photo from "The Ultimate Kick" by Bill Wallace. And yes, I could do this before I had my hip op - and I have every intention of being able to do it again! I hope this shows how easy it is (for a skilled kicker) to kick you in the face from punching range - or even clinching range!

:D