your thoughts on my new 'free day?'

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by seiken steve, Feb 7, 2013.

1. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

So those that follow my log will be aware I am running a dan john esque one lift a day program using 3 week cycles.

Mon: bench and met con
    Tue: squat and coaching
    Wed: pull up and med con if I feel up to it
    Thurs front squat, again optional met con
    Fri: strict press and some vanity arm work (I’m young okay!)
    Sat: deadlift (extra shrugs)
    Sunday: rest rest rest.

Week one is 7x5
    Week two is 6x3
    Week three is 1x5 1x3 1x2 (max double)
    Week four is a deload or rest.

Changes I’m making are:

Rep scheme;
    I’m focusing more on building my base than throwing around max doubles, as I’m not a pro lifter and have a lot on ergo;

Week one 5x8
    Week two 7x5
    Week three 6x3
    Week four off.

Also I see no need for a pull up day, its not a challenging day, I think pull ups benefit from hogher rep stuff as well as heavy stuff. So I’m subbing out pull up day and doing pull ups between every pressing rep. one day weighted and one day body weight. Grips will vary.

So I now have a free day to add in a lift. I’m torn between two movents, the incline press and the hang power clean. So I was interested on hearing your guys thoughts.

Pros of incline:
    Great carry over to strict press and bench.
    One of my ‘weak movements’ so obviously a weak link to work on
    Great muscle builder.
    I have a tiny upper chest.
    Another day I can do pull ups on.

Cons of incline
    I already bench and strict press
    I box wed night so that is worth considering.

Pro’s of HPC
    I want massive traps
    Explosive
    Upper back builder.

Cons of HPC
    I front squat the next day and my upper mid back can be a weak point in FS, HPC fatigue these muscles.
    I am not an oly lifter.
    I’m going struggle or not manage the pull ups that day.

Thoughts??

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Why not try a month or so of each and see which you feel is benefiting you the most or even alternate them each week?

My vote would be for the cleans, but that's because I enjoy them more than the benching!

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what about power clean and press? best of both worlds, and if you can clean more than you can strict press, just push press and do a slow eccentric.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

re: pull-ups: straps can be used as improvised rings, so if you screw up your pull-ups with the cleans, you can still do pulls without having to do chins and going full-on biceps bro.

5. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

I think without a dedicated pull day, you might become prone to injury from over-pressing and under pulling. Generally a good recommendation is 2 times as much pulling as pressing, and even with repeated pull-ups, I'd say having a dedicated day is worthwhile. With that said, I'd say the hang-power clean would be a better choice as it is some pull work, and isn't another press, plus explosiveness is always nice.

You might consider that incline pressing would be a good assistance lift for your bench day, or might even be a better choice as a main lift instead of bench if you aren't an aspiring powerlifter.

What exactly are your goals with this program?

6. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Yes but by not having a dedicated day I get three to 5 times as much pulling volume.

Given the amount of heavy front squats and Deadlifts I do and that most of my met con is pretty upper back dominant my back is certainly not being neglected.

Using Accesory movements kind of defeats the point of the 'one lift a day' program

7. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Power curl like Ricky Bruch. See 1:59.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NM4vsQEr0o"]GRAVY - "Shine On Us" ft. Ricky Bruch - YouTube[/ame]

8. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

Oh usually one lift a day program's are one main lift with accesory lifts for that movement. Typically squat, bench and deadligt for pretty obvious reasons.

Unless you go relatively heavy with your pulls it won't have the same effect.