Your Thoughts on Complimenting Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Kuniku, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Sod.

I'd better get a load of Cobra Kai t-shirts in then.

2. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

As I said it might be a while off, but I'll be sure to document my experiences in everything here, as I'd like to think it will be an interesting read.

Generally I appreciate that Strength and Weight won't make a difference to a skilled practitioner against someone who doesn't know what they're doing, but against another skilled opponnent it does make more of a difference. That said I don't know how skilled some of the other guys were, and in some cases I probably weighed almost twice as much as them (we're talking flyweights vs heavy weights =p)

I've been helping give some groundwork training to some of our intermediates (not kids not adults etc) in class, and while I can't remove the weight difference its a lot of fun actively trying to avoid using my strength. They, like the smaller guys in the BJJ class, are crazy fast compared to me! (although the BJJ guys knew how to use it to their advantage - our intermediates are transitioning from kids rules (pins only, no subs) to adult rules (subs ok!)

All this chatting about Jujitsu has definitely got me fired up for training tonight! Gonna blast out some syllabus! =D

3. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I'm not saying that strength and weight won't make any difference. Just that their skill and technique is generally at a level where they know how to deal with it.

I'll leave it at that and good luck

4. Kuniku

I think we're possibly talking about different opponents, I am talking about the people I did roll with a few months ago, where it did make quite a big difference.

I think you're talking about potentially rolling with a BJJ black belt, like you suggested, and I fully agree, they'll no doubt wipe the floor with me regardless of my size advantage =p

5. righty

righty Valued Member

To be honest I don't even know why you are bringing this up. You aren't going to be able to start something until after your grading, which is over 12 months away. And then despite any recommendations you may have to search around and use trial an error for a good club.

Just drop it for now and focus on what is in front of you as you say the shodan stuff is challenging as it is.

6. Kuniku

at risk of repeating myself again, I was hoping to spark a bit of a discussion about complimenting arts, I gave myself and my thoughts as an example, and it has turned into a mass discussion about me lol.

and its also largely me casually looking into things while bored at work. I'm sure the same discussion will pop up with my thoughts after passing my Shodan.

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Number one rule is to be polite and wait until at least the third date or so before commenting on a woman's physique, even if your opinion is a positive one.

8. oneman

oneman Valued Member

From experiance of people I have spoken to you are going to VERY hard pushed to to complete your shodan in 15 months and that would be training 2 to 3 times a week. As for complementing sports, all i can suggest is have a look around. Virtually all clubs offer at least one trial session to see how you are going to get on with it.

The question is what are expecting to get out of a second decipline ? Are you looking for 'street' self defence or some as a sport/challenge ?