Your thoughts on a "Kuk Sool" Open Tournament?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by tulsa, May 11, 2011.

1. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

2. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hello RLk! The most up to date version for the tournament can be found on this page: http://traditionalkoreanmartialarts.com/events.aspx

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  3. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

So true, but since I use a gated horse it is so much easier for me. I also use a endurance saddle that is a mix from english and western and it works wonderful.:evil:

4. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Well guys I have 2 more meetings and the date could be announced soon. The only thing it looks like it will be in 2013. The dates we want for Korean Fest and Tournament and Exhibition are taken at the location they want to use. So the next 2 meetings will be deciding that. There is allot into this planning. Everyone is coming to Tulsa for events because it is allot cheaper than going to Vegas or Houston. I Know I Know Vegas would so much cooler but I don't live there.

And it is great to be back on MAP, I had to go to Denver for my brothers wedding and also help my mother move from McAllen TX to Denver. I am now back to my normal routine. I Think! :evil:

5. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I've heard that there is such a thing called an "australian" saddle, that is a cross between english & western type saddles. Have you ever heard of it?

Totally off-topic, but I find it funny that the british riding style uses what's called an "english saddle" while the american riding style uses what's called a "western saddle" (LOL).

6. unknown-KJN

That's great and all, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten too far along in my MA career to be overly concerned with competing. :D

But the line-up of masters who will be sharing their knowledge at the seminar the following day, does look impressive IMO. :cool:

7. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

The list of seminar instructors has grown to include Master Chris Holmes and Master Dickson Kuntz!!! It will be a fantastic weekend!!!:happy:

8. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

The english saddle is used in Dressage and what is called hunter / jumper. it is not designed to carry tings like guns, packs or other things such as that. Western saddles have more structure and are designed to do such things. The aussie saddle is like a cross between them. It uses the rigging of the english saddles but is more designed for the trail. An endurance saddle is in the same design as the aussie but softer and allot more comfortable. Check out these saddle designs...

http://www.downunderweb.com/store/media/DU-Snowy-River-NH.jpg
    http://bullseyeroper.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Parts-of-a-Western-Saddle-300x274.jpg
    http://www.outfitterssupply.com/images/TU149_EQ_BR.gif

and then there is what I use:

http://www.hilason.com/pimages/thumbsm/2241-1.jpg

:evil:

9. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

double post

:evil:

10. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i dont know about this master josh p. guy... how old is he, again? just giving a hard time... as in joking, cuz it this event has all the makings of a great tournament/seminar

11. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Joshua KJN is a very fine young man and a great student! He has a 4th dan hapkido and 5th dan TSD. And yes he is in his twenties ..... dang I hate young people! Youth is wasted on the young!! JK! :cool:

12. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Moosulmaster: Quick question - there are no age restrictions on master level anymore? Joshua KJN is a great guy and a good martial artist but I always thought, or was lead to believe, that the old "those that train hard are promoted faster" days are long over. Most associations have people wait till their a minimum of 35 years old to reach 5th Dahn (with a few special cases of course)....am I missing something?

13. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Haha! Yes, I would say you are missing much (just kidding). Master Steve Seo is in his early thirties for example. I think many are starting to understand that age is just a number, and while TKMA schools have several students that are kids, it is only natural to see folks with time and rank at a bit of an earlier age. To me the facts that should be considered when promoting through the ranks are time in rank, technical proficiency, and leadership ability. To me it seems good to see men promoted before they are ready for the nursing home and collecting social security. Age is not important, but time in rank and skill are.

14. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

Then how does one balance time in rank with skill? If a person knows their material for not only their current level but for the level of the next rank or even after that then where does that leave that person? I have some students that, if it wasn't for time in grade, would be promoted to black belt already. They are able to apply their knowledge during sparring/grappling, show great leadership skills, and show up either every day or every other day. But there's that, in my opinion, ridiculous idea of "well, they have to wait a year, or two years, or 5 years, because they will become wiser". I have seen some 4th/5th Dahns wait their time for their next rank and trust me...they didn't get any wiser. It makes me wonder if that whole "time in grade" system is broken.

Also, are the rules of "test once wait a year then test again" still active with your group or with any of you other Kuk Sool stylists alligned with other groups? I always thought this too was a little strange...why not test once and promote the same day? Especially if the person in question is more than capable; to me it always felt like I flunked the first test because I don't know all the material. So why are they testing me? Why not wait till I am ready to show the full material for my next rank?

I don't have any rush with my own rank mainly because if the people that promote me are ready for me to promote then I guess it must be time. A new rank won't really change what I already know or change how I teach (and the generals uniform that comes with it I wear every two-three months so no point in getting excited over that LOL)...maybe it will help with some advertisement. LOL The next generation should promote on skill. Not on "did they wait long enough and pay us enough money". Some of the masters on here might not agree because they didn't get promoted based on skill but it is our job to make the world of Kuk Sool better for the next generation: fix what's broken, teach the extra things we were taught be it forms weapons or techniques, and stop the "KMA Drama" and grow up. But, that's just my out look on the whole thing.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  15. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I might be a bit confused. Are YOU asking ME to "stop all the KMA drama and grow up"? Lol. Time in rank IS important because, as you said yourself, rank is not really that important. Time in rank teaches us patience, it teaches us character, and it gives us time to grow into roles of leadership. Rank is not only about the ability to execute technique, or how many forms you know. It is easy to point a finger and say that others are unworthy and harder still to step up to the plate. Remember my young friend, watch what you pray for, you just might get it. ;)

16. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Ok, I now have to chime in: I see the time between belts has always been used to "WEED" people out. If you do not have the patients to wait it out and work harder to get your rank then, some people say "GO AWAY". I have mixed feeling about the WKSA time lines. I think some are to short and some are to long.

I agree in whole about that quality and ability should always be the main decision of promotions. But for the under black students (sorry) it is just an activity and means very little of skill and ability. Most WKSA school use one of these 2 time lines:

Every three months you test and promote. (either to a stripe or belt)
    with starting with white belt and working up to black a student can "EARN" their black belt in 27 to 30 months (2.25 years - 2.5 years) on the fast track to approximately 72 months (6 years). Most WKSA students are "FAST TRACKED" to get them up to start testing for their Black Belt. Once Kuk Sa Nim Suh In Hyuk gets his cut then that is what really matters. (my opinion only)

after that the time line goes like this:
    1st to 2nd = 3 years
    2nd to 3rd = 4 years
    3rd to 4th = 5 years
    4th to 5th = 6 years
    etc...etc... etc...
    (with school owners and special exceptions from Kuk Sa Nim only)

so taking these time lines in account to reach Master level (5th Dan) it should take someone from starting Kuk Sool to Master level 20.25 years on the "FAST TRACK". So if a student gets his 1st Dan at the age of 18 (an adult) then he would be at least the age of 36 years old to receive Master Level.

Does this mean he is a Master of Martial Arts? In title yes, In practice ????

Since there is no Governing Body that test who is at what level ANYONE can call him or herself a master / grand master or what ever. Is a TKD Master better than a KS Master?

Caveat Emptor! :evil:

17. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

Question to you all:

If a person "Knows" the curriculum as well as the rest of the WKSA Masters up to let's say 5th degree. Are they not a Master as well?:evil:

18. unknown-KJN

Hi, tulsa.

To me, the line needs to be drawn in how *selfless* one proves to be when instructing others. Going the "extra mile" to help ensure a student can fully grasp an idea/concept, or successfully achieve a certain coordination or skill, is what makes a master. Being able to quickly identify flaws/errors/mistakes and assessing various remedies to the situation also factor into the mix. Of course this doesn't absolve the student from putting forth the necessary effort, but it's a 2-way street to be sure (just like "respect").

All in all, "knowing" the curriculum material is only a small portion of what it takes to be a master (IMVHO).

19. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

I truly agree with what you say, Sir. I unforgettably have seen several "Masters" that do none of the above. So why should they be called a Master? I am happy to call myself a STUDENT of Martial Arts and always will. I will never "Master" the Martial Arts, as I think almost NO ONE can. ( but I will never stop trying to achieve it ) But will someone else call me a Master? Yes. Will some not? Yes. Do I call myself a Master? NO. :evil:

20. unknown-KJN

How about if I gathered some reputable people together (e.g. myself, Sims, White, etc.) and put you through the wringer? Provided you pass and we bestow you with 5th dan (or higher), wouldn't you call yourself "master" then? :dunno: