your thing for low kicks

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by shs111, Aug 11, 2012.

1. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

What do you think is he most effective setups for a leg kick? Any unorthodox ones?

Also what do yous do after throwing a hard kick? Because some people just kick and then move and some kick and then plant their feet to punch and some will even throw superman punch to confuse them. Anyone have anything inpaticular?

2. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Depends on the situation. I think because of my background in other arts that require a lot of chambering, I often go into a clinch/knee to the mid-section after a low kick, depending on how I'm positioned. Other than that, I like to come back with a left hook since my hips are already in position for that strike.

3. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Work everything off your jab.
    You are trying to get them to move, thats how you create opportunity to land solid shots.
    So you can jab/cross low kick, or even double jab low kick, jab cross hook low kick, whatever it is going to be, will be worked from the movement you have created in them reacting to yours.
    They will most likely cover as you punch so theres your opening to land a solid low kick,
    its going to depend on range for you follow up, or even their reaction etc they may fire up so you might clinch and knee and so on.
    just my 2c

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You can use kick to close distance. It can be used to set up your punch, clinch, ... Even if you may not hurt your opponent with your kick, your kick can put your opponent in defense mode. That's 1st step for your "entering".

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yup. Depends on the reaction of the opponent when recieving it.
    If youre talking about a rear leg round kick I always start combos with my hands, the the rear leg and if able, step it down (so now in southpaw) and either throw a quick jab cross or kick with the left leg. .
    If not able to do the above, I reset my stance and circle and then back in again.

Padwork with a partner. Pad holder throws a strike straight after to keep your defences up

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Like many have said, it's really quite a complicated subject to give just a simple answer. You can use one to start a combination, in the middle of one, or to end one. You can use them on an opponent in an orthodox stance or a southpaw stance. You can use it as part of a combination or as a counter. You can use them on an opponent moving forwards into you or backwards trying to get away from you.

If you can be a bit more specific we may be able to help you better.

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Most of the time the fight will start from outside of the kicking range. Since the kicking range is farther apart than the punching range, if you can't reach your opponent with your leg, you can't reach your opponent with your hand (leg is longer than the arm). After you have entered into the punching range, the distance may be too close to kick. It make sense to use kick to set up punch. It may not make sense to use punch to set up your kick (it may not look real). Since you will definitely telegraph your 1st kick, it's better to use your 1st kick to set up your 2nd kick.

Here is an example by using

- low roundhouse kick to set up side kick,
    - side kick to set up punches,
    - punches to set up clinching,
    - clinching to set up kee strike,
    - knee strike to set up throw.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_krfr2l-TCU"]Sanshou 6 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

9. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

I would recommend you practice it in sparring to figure out what works best for you, everybody is individual and there are a huge, huge amount of things you can do with leg kicks. You can use them as single shots or in combos, you can start or end the combo with them, and can also use them midway through the combo (takes a little more practice). Then there is also the fact that leg kicks can all be different. Rear leg roundhouse, switching roundhouse, lead leg roundhouse, hitting the thigh vs the calf, stepping across with the kick, hitting inside vs outside etc etc. Here's a quick few combo's that work well for me, but really experimenting with it for yourself is the best way to find YOUR combos.

jab, right leg kick
    jab, cross, right leg kick
    jab, cross, switching left leg kick
    lead leg kick (to inside leg), right cross
    switching left leg kick, right cross, left hook
    jab, cross, left hook, right leg kick

10. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I like to counter punches with low kicks. Especially with tall people as they can be hard to hit if your being the agressor and they're counter fighters. They step in and throw their jab, when they do this their weight is over their lead leg so they can't check low kick so I just step across out the way of their punches and kick, then circle out.

11. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Here's one I'm currently practicing now:

Right low kick, Jab, cross, side step/pivot left, jab, right low kick.

12. daggers

daggers Valued Member

There is no answer to best ways to throw a low kick.
    Some might use rhythm and timing and land the low kick alone
    Others use it best as a counter
    Some use it as a combo
    And the other thing is that If speed works against one opponent it may not on another, you have to be well rounded in counter, combos and timing.
    You get this by getting a good coach , training hard and learning from fighting win or lose :)

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I like to throw a few half-arsed low kicks (but still being careful not to be counterd), not fussing if they get checked and then when they're checking again move in really far at an angle, bend your supporting leg and go right through their back leg. :)

14. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

there is no end to how you can set up a low kick.

NONE.

Open your mind.

And SPAR. =)

15. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

being that im a shorter fighter i tend to use my hands (flow with punches, elbows) and get inside then on my exit take a nice angle and leg kick or exit with the leg kick in general