Your Style My Style grrrrrrrr

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tai-gip, May 12, 2004.

1. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Seems to me a lot of wasted discussion time about wich art is better turns up almost anywhere so can we here and now finish

styles dont beat styles people beat people

unless you get two people train them in two unique styles for ten fifteen years let them go at it ...get a winner and then reverse the order while insuring both people are the same size strenght and fitness and can begin the other art without any knowledge of their former you cant adequately test it

so we love martial arts and love the one we are doing best because of course we are doing it ...thats great but its also ego so lets just channel all that positive energy into being the best we can be because when all things are considered thats the most and the best we can do. :)

2. killbill

killbill New Member

most of the time the "which style" type discussions are for people trying to find a school that they will like. Once you can find an art you like you stick with it.

3. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

I think there's a best style for the individual, but certainly not a style that is ideal for everyone. That's why there is so much diversity in different styles.

From a point of view of being able to become a more difficult to defeat fighter, my personal view is that you would have to train in many styles, taking the most effective elements of each, then go out and get into lots and lots of fights...

Not something I am prepared to do I have to say.

~Smokemare

4. dustIn credible

dustIn credible Valued Member

most of the people that walk around talking like their style is the best are just immature amateur that just started MA. Or people from bullshido.com they also believe their individual style is the best.

5. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

I think it depends on the person and the situation, some of the guys at my club are physically harder than me but i am better at technique so who wins, again depends on the situation!

6. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

I like style vs style. What's wrong with that?

it's just the constant theorising that bothers me. If someone can show me something for real on the mat, I'm a happy man.

7. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

who is this mat and does he/she mind ?

8. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

9. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

I've been a member of bullshido.com for a few months now. They're a bit rough around the edges but they mean well. They don't want people to be deluded by unrealistic claims.

10. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

you mean to tell me you've never met Mat? I'll gladly introduce you to him.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Actually, my style is better than yours. :D :eek: :D

12. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

But you only do Karate,

Only joking

13. Adam

Adam New Member

I just started training in BJJ. All other arts but BJJ suck, especially the traditional ones. Surrender your womenfolk now, the Brazillian scourge is coming with bad accents and patch-covered gi's!

14. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

yes! Zhoo Zhit Zu is unstoppable! all other arts are for cheecken.

Zhoo Zhit Zu! Zhoo Zhit Zu ! Zhoo Zhit Zu !

:D just kidding. I just hope other ppl can love their art as much as i love BJJ.

15. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

and i still dont know this mat :D :D

16. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

trust me, you do NOT want to meet mat. He may be a little soft around the edges, but hits you with the power of gravity.

:D

17. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Thats how i felt when i met my girlfriend so i was just curious not that there is anything wrong with that :D

18. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

my brother is called Mat if that helps

19. dustIn credible

dustIn credible Valued Member

the main reason i dont like the people at bullshido is all their points are this "f*king blah blah F*king blah blah" they cant make a point without cursing (which is fine i do but i dont think it has a place in a ligit adult conversation especially if kids have the ability to read the set conversation)
    2nd thing "prove it on the mat" thats all they say to make the validity of their points. Well some of use dont like to "prove it on the mat" because with pads or not all out no holds barred is dangerous.

20. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

Well, unless your style is 100 % based on eyegouges and biting, there is no reason why you can't show it on the mat. Your bio says you do JKD, well, on the mat if you spar NHB rules (i know, that's a paradox) you are allowed to punch, kick, elbow, throw, jointlock (except fingerlocks). If the guy is wearing a cup you could spar with groin kicks too.

So as you can see, that's 95 % of your art that's allowed to be used in a relatively safe manner 'on the mat'.

Just making a point here. Whether or not you can do in a practice, your art will help you in situations regardless. Enjoy what you are doing, but keep an HONEST and open mind. I do! (well, I try to anyway)