Your proudest martial arts moment (my 3000th post)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kinjiro Tsukasa, Jan 27, 2005.

1. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Aha! While I am quite proud of the award I mentioned further up the thread, I just remembered what's *really* my proudest moment: last spring, when my instructor, who is very highly skilled & knowledgable, invited me to be one of his training partners. I've been training with him (as in doing partner drills, not like taking private lessons) on Thursday mornings ever since. I've sort of gotten used to it, but when I stop to think about it, that makes me very, very proud.

2. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Since I started TKD my Master has often pushed certain members and been good to point out when he was pleased with their performance or improvement. Personally I only remember a few times he would correct certain aspects of my forms, but not alot of 'good job' and such. Not that I needed it, and maybe he knew that, but still..it is nice to hear.

Well, so this last XMas party they were giving awards for various things, and I was called up for the 'Best Effort' award, and I was stunned. Had no idea I that my Master would select me, and it really stood out for me.

That and breaking 6 - 1 inch boards (stacked without spacers) at my last test with a palm strike...felt good. I think the two feeling are tied, as I know my Master was proud of me as he felt I could do it and I did not let him down.

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the proudest moment for me was when i stopped parroting b**** l**, started giving my training a game plan and following it.

congratulations on your 3,000th post!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  4. dutch80au

dutch80au New Member

my proudest moment was either after my blue belt grading when i got given an exellence award for my kicking techniques or when i was approached by my head instructor after my black belt grading and he told me that every time i grade he can never expect what i will do next. at first i thought he was being a little smart, but it was a positive comment.....trust me.

5. Mu Ryuk

Mu Ryuk Banned Banned

First of all, Congratulations KT :D #3000!

My proudest moment...

When I returned to my old Dojang on April 5th 2004, I was 5'6, 228 pounds, and horribly out of shape. The only exercise I did at all was weightlifting. I went in that Monday night, after seeing my school do their annual "break-a-thon" for charity at the Good Old Days festival. I took the adult class. I couldn't keep up with class, I was breathing hard after twenty five jumping jacks, I felt like a complete loser, like I would never be any good, especially compared to Allison, a black belt my age who is extremely good. I went to bed that night feeling worse than I may ever have.

I woke up at 9:00 A.M. the next morning, planning to go to the 10:00 A.M. adult class. I thought about last night, I thought how much I hated that feeling, I thought how easy it would be to just lie in bed and not go back. I was so close, I was on the brink, teetering on the edge. And just as I let my body relax, seemingly have decided to stay, something inside of me said "No. Get up, get dressed, go train." And I did. I haven't looked back since.

I am now 189 pounds and will be 175 by my next test on February 20th. I tested on June 19th, 2004 for my Blue belt, skipping Purple and Orange. I can do more pushups than almost anyone in the school, despite being overweight. I am (not meaning to sound arrogant) one of the best point point sparring and forms competitors we have. I am also an Assitant Instructor for the Beginning and Intermediate classes, and am more advanced than many of our upper ranks in the Advanced class.

My proudest moment: Not giving up.

6. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

When one of my students finally "got it".....a light went on in his head, and he seemed to improve 100% from that second on.

and in case he ever reads this, his name is john.

7. Peter Bradbury

Peter Bradbury Valued Member

My proudest moment? Probably winning my first british title with the sticks, or just completing my Rapid Arnis black belt grading. When Pat said thats the end i just colapsed in a heap relivied it was over.

8. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Rock on!! You Go Girl!!!

9. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Congrats on post 3000

For me, it was when my instructor was inducted into the Action Martial Arts Magazine Hall of Fame last year and asked me to go with him. He's a really humble man who likes to train hard, learn, and share and has never sought any sort of recognition (and has turned down offers of rank advancement if there wasn't a real test involved). He has stood up for integrity, practicality, open learning/sharing, and true humility in the martial arts. By his being recognized, it shows that people do see the good guys out there and those good guys will be recognized eventually. To hear the good words said about him by the "titans" of modern arts (various Grandmasters and Masters who had recommended him) made all of us proud. Being there with the man who has shaped my martial arts techniques and philosophy (and whom I respect the most in martial arts) when he was recognized was the best.

(The recognition hasn't changed him... he came back and jumped right back into classes without saying a word.)

10. Blake_AE

Blake_AE Valued Member

Winning 1st place fighting in my first open martial arts competition at orange belt (ITF TKD). Semi-contact only but we fought against some other TKD clubs and some kung-fu clubs. It was really fun and I felt proud to have bested some other competitors in other arts. They were also all really impressive in their katas, especially with weapons and I had a lot of respect for them but I felt very comfortable facing them on the mat. My first and only trophy at a competition.

11. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

When one of my first students (back in high school) came back 15 years later and became one of my greatest teachers.

Snob

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I have far too many proud martial art moments.... however not many that involve "me".

When you use the word "proud" to someone who has children, they naturally think of them. I am mostly proud of my children's ma accomplishments.

When my daughters little friends were putting on their ballet shoes & leotards, she was putting on her gear and sparring ! Going to her tournaments and pointing her out as "my daughter" :D
    I was extremely proud the day she earned her black belt.... pales in comparison to the day I received mine, although just days shy of my 40th birthday, I'd say I was a bit proud of not quitting all those times when the "going got tough".

Actually I must say I was pretty proud to receive my white belt. Back in the day a beginning student had to test for white. I was not only proud to receive it, but ecstatic that my pants were no longer going to fall and that yes, I do in fact have a waistline!! :D

Congrats Kinjiro Tsukasa on your 3,000th .. here's to many more!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2005
  13. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

My proudest moment would be my first rank test. I did the basic kicks and strikes without a hitch, and when we got to our skill sets we went very fast and I didn't even think about what came next I just did it. When me and my opponent finished and sat down, he gave me an approving nod. It was great because he was a black belt, and I was a white.

14. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Ooooops! :eek: Forgot to say congrats on 3,000 KT! :eek:

:bang: I can be such a dough-head. :bang:

15. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

My proudest moment I guess was my one and only kata comp and I came in 3rd place..Totally unexpected (by me) but so very exciting! :)

16. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Congrats on 3k

I think one of my proudest moments so far was my first karate grading. I started at the club 3 months after the majority of the members, and so I was a grade behind them. I was then told about my grading, and I ended up doing it alone in front of the whole class. It was nerve racking, but after it, I was allowed to skip the first grade and advance to the same level as the others, and was complented on my performance of the kata by my instructor, so I felt very proud then.

17. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Congrats KT....my proudest moment would be when I started my MA training while in college, and meeting new friends that are now like family to me. Even though we don't live near each other, or train together, we still see each other from time to time, and stay in touch via e-mail, or phone calls :)

18. KlaussyZ

KlaussyZ Valued Member

Still working on it...

19. mystererae

mystererae Valued Member

I've been mulling this over since last night, trying to find something that sticks out. I can only remember little things: the first night that I was the highest sash in class - which was a few months ago - and an instructor pointed it out. A memory that always makes me smile is when I knocked a classmate who must be at or over 6'2 to the ground - the first time I'd ever been successful in taking down a guy in sparring - and everyone started laughing from shock.

The first or second time I had to go up against Noe, a muscular man in his twenties a sash and at least a year or two of training above me, I was more than daunted. One of my instructors was happy with me after that full hour of sparring, however, because he said that he'd never seen me fight so hard and that I'd gotten a number of clean hits (which had even more significance when I asked him how many clean hits I usually got in sparring, and he said, not many at all). Just the other night that same instructor told me he was proud of me because all of my kicks in sparring had real power - I tend to pull them or kick with my toes because I'm not comfortable with the idea of hurting someone, especially by accident in sparring.

I like finding out that I'm doing something right.

20. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I should put some of my own in here, no? ;)

One of my proudest moments in Tai Chi Chuan was when I had finally learned enough of the Long Form to be allowed to start it together with the rest of the class.

Another one was the first time my teacher used me to demonstrate a martial application!