Your Opinions on Max-OT?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GhostOfYourMind, Apr 22, 2005.

1. GhostOfYourMind

GhostOfYourMind Bewaters lil Iron Monkey

Hey all, I'm thinking about changing up my routine for weights and was wondering if anyone has anything against Max-OT. The principals that it goes by seem perfect for strength gains (for example, it says keep reps in the 4-6 range, and anywhere from 6-9 sets per muscle group with those reps.) Read most of it online and in PDF format which I saved to my computer. Think it'd be good to give it a shot, or to at least adapt the principals to suit my needs? Thanks!

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

You're 16, don't bother with complicated routines. Get to a barbell, load it, pick it up, throw it around a bit, put it down. Repeat many times, rest, eat, repeat again :D

Deadlifts, chins, bench press/dips, military press/clean and press variations and squats are all you need my friend. Try 5x5 for starters.

3. GhostOfYourMind

LOL! Best answer ever. Thanks Adam. Will do 5x5 and just pig out then I suppose, just gotta go run up to home depot to get the materials needed for a homemade dipping belt. :D

4. Ad McG

Although it's not ideal, I use a backpack and dump the plates in that :)

5. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Doesn't that pull on your shoulders making it difficult to do your dips?

6. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

I broke two backpacks that way :) .

Get yourself a diving weight belt and load it up. It's not cheap, but it'll last forever and you can use it scuba diving too!

7. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

I find the dipping belt quite comfortable, funny as hell walking around, when you have the weight at the front. I feel like i've got a... well, yeah :D

8. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

:D :D :D

I've never used a dip belt. I'll see what I've got about the house and give it a go this weekend.

9. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

Have you read the Max-OT work out? Its anything but complicated, the whole idea behind it is 'basic' exercises in a low volume, heavy weight routine, in fact the very exercises you recommended are the ones used predominantly in Max-OT and so is the rep range you suggested. It is far less complicated then most other routines recommended by most bodybuilding magazines/websites. Make sure you read the materiel before giving advice or slating it.

10. Ad McG

I have come across Max-OT countless times, but I still see no need for him to complicate things even that much. 5x5 with the exercises I gave him either split through the week via push/pull or full body twice a week saves him a lot of time and gives great results. As a beginner, there is simply no need to get into as much detail as in the max-OT.

http://www.freedomfly.net/Documents/MAX-OT.pdf

Why bother?

11. GhostOfYourMind

I use the backpack + plates thing, but it's super uncomfortable and starts to hurt my shoulders after a while. I was thinkin just get some chain and padding and voila, a dip belt that'll last a life time.

12. Ad McG

If it feels that bad, just get a belt. I will get one eventually, but for now the bag holds 20 kg pretty easily.

13. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

That link you posted Adam, I don't think some of the things that guy said was correct. In fact, I think he may of exaggerated or made things up to suit himself.

14. Ad McG

Which guy? Names usually help :)

15. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Oh sorry, I meant the author of the content that you linked to.

16. Ad McG

Erm... well it is Max OT so I don't know what you want me to say! :confused:

17. ninjamonkey

ninjamonkey New Member

Hah, fair enough :)

18. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member

hey Ghost, listen to Adam, he always hits the nail on the head of these subjects. in regards to the gym, stay off the net and stay in the gym, keep it basic and with time and dedication, it will come :D

19. GhostOfYourMind

But of course! I'm starting 5x5 this monday, starting with dips and maybe bench. Then wednesday I'll do back with deads and probably rows. Then friday i'll do legs with bulgarian squats and lunges (no access to squat rack or chin up bar at the moment, it's disturbing, yes...)

20. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member