Your Least Favorite Part of Training

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by paulbrec, Jan 4, 2012.

1. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

I know this is staple training for boxers, but I absolutely *HATE* skipping. Really.
    I find it the most boring part of the training day.
    Fortunately, my boxing gym has a treadmill, so I do a few minutes on the treadmill instead of skipping, when the coach isn't looking. :eek:
    I don't know how many boxers have a "traditional" coach like mine, but mine still believes that nothing can replace skipping as a form of cardio.

Yes, when I am training with the coach, I have to skip three rounds...:mad:

--Paul "The Brick" Brec

2. liero

liero Valued Member

I hate muscle soreness the next day...
    Though I don't think the treadmill has the same benefits as skipping.

3. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

I know there are benefits to skipping, but that does not make it any less boring.

4. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I hate when the instructor decides to have a fun day, play dodgeball or piggy back races etc. Sorry, I'm here to kickbox, I don't need a fun day, I need to practice my combinations and get some feedback.

5. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

Hey, I understand your point. Maybe the instructor just wants to make training more fun. I'd rather play dodgeball than skip ! :eek:

6. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Skipping is awesome for the calves tho!

7. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I hate skipping because i skip like a six year old girl in the playground.

Worst part of training for me is demonstrating techniques/sets in front of the class, I'm a very introverted person (discounting what i'm like when i'm well oiled) and this is the epitome of torture for me.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I must do a skipping tutorial, I can't see why everyone hates it.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I can never seem to get any consistancy with it.
    I can do various types of skip (one foot, side to side, running etc) but after about 20-30 revs get tangled up. I think one foot lags a bit (my left) and clips the rope.
    Very annoying.

10. Simon

20-30 reps, you should do the tutorial.:)

11. HAHAHAHA..... LOL to that! :D:D

Osu!

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hah....that's only about 10-20 seconds of skipping though.
    If you can't do 3 mins straight through then I don't think you are really "skipping".
    If I fell over every 20 seconds I don't think you could say I was able to "run" would you.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I usually get up to about 1min 30secs and then lose rhythm and co-ordination and trip over the rope or whack myself on the toes with it! :bang:

14. Simon

It may take a few weeks but I'll try and video something. It could start some good dicussion (laughter) in a new thread.

15. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

I know what he is trying to do, but we are in a class of blokes, all 20+. Dodge ball isnt what we are there for! LOL

16. tohrik

tohrik New Member

I can skip rope. I just lose my damn breath.

17. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Gosh i LOVE skipping. Whats wrong with skipping? I prefer skipping to running, its AWESOME!!!

And also shouldnt you be doing what your instructor/coach says rather than what you think is better? Doing things behind his back wont help you improve :p I mean i didnt like doing any katas but i still did them, i even practiced it at home a few times even though i really disliked them at one point because he said to.

As for jump ropes, i dont really count but after a few tries i can probably go for about a minute. I try and do it as fast as possible. I think i can usually get to 100, not hard to keep a rhythm but i have to slowly increase it. If i increase too fast my rhythm is broken.

Another thing i LOVE about skipping is the sound the rope makes when hitting the ground. Doesn't this sound sound beautiful!?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC40IA2xTLo"]INSANE Jump Rope Skills! Win! - YouTube[/ame]

there are also so many jump roping tutorials all over cross fit!

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Jump

damn its awesome!

But i find running better as it get me breathing harder than jump roping. If i go too fast on jump roping i cant keep consistant, if i go slow i can keep it consistant but its not intense enough.

18. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I personally love skipping, I also like DOMS, it makes me feel good. I have a bad case of the doms today, but it makes me smile.

19. Simon

You will all be expected to add to the skipping thread when I get it done, that includes video footage.

20. paulbrec

paulbrec Valued Member

Can I add treadmill footage instead? :)