Your first taste of one step sparring?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by New Guy, Dec 6, 2005.

1. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Ummm does anyone who have done one step sparring remember what you did when you did it the very first time? And what belt were you?

When I did it the first time I was a green belt, 6th kup; and I was limited to five ways of countering... that is, I was taught five ways to counter the punch and I must not use anything else untill I move to 5th kup. I had to show all those 5 ways in the grading in order to move to 5th kup.

So yea I am wondering how are this taught out there. :D

2. bluekey88

bluekey88 whimsical in the brainpan

We do one step punch sparring and self defense techniques starting from day 1. Each belt level has a one step sparring technique and a self-defense technique to learn. There are 10 of each for the color belt curriculum.

Peace,
    Erik

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

We had to do it for out first grading, got shown three basic techniques and we where only allowed to use them.

As you went up the belts it was a bit erratic as to what you where shown but a few more techniques did become standard.

4. Magicness

Magicness New Member

We started one-step sparring from day one also. We have 3 one-steps per color belt that we must show at testing.

Anthony

5. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

As a white belt, we learned 6 one steps. From then on it is 3 one steps per belt up to blue. After that, you have to make up your own and get them approved by the instructor.

6. G50

G50 Night Owl

At my school, we start right from the beginning. After we get to blackbelt, we start doing one-step sparring with a partner.

7. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

We get graded on one steps from 4th kup I think, but practice them from much earlier. There are no pre-set techniques for this, we are supposed to use the skills we have gathered from our training in an effective way to counter. That's how we've always done it. :)

8. Deedum

Deedum Valued Member

we start at white belt but its not required to test until 9th gup.

9. MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx Having fun

We start onestep with yellowbelt. Whitebelts learn only Poomse.
    Three seperate sequences with each belt. There are multiple movements, blocks, kicks, punches, strikes, etc with each sequence.

This goes on all the way up to black belt. Far as I know the blacks have them too (but my book ends at 1deg.)

10. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

i think its TAGB syllabus from 5th kupish - but of course you begin learning it earlier.

It is totally freeform in that the practitioner is given the punch and has to decide by themself what to do to nullify the attack. :woo: a bit like an artist being given a blank canvas. There are no set sequences, just what the student learns/trains and the student knows works for themself. thus making it work a little better to train for a street situation(don't start! I still know its a million miles away from a street attack).

I like to see it as the natural progression from 3-step where you are defending against a man-on-the-street attacker.
    through 2-step defending against a more experienced martial artist.
    to 1-step defending against an individual.

11. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

My old school taught one steps right off, white belt, we taught, inside out block of the punch, step to the outside, low, middle and high punch to the body and head.

12. ZenPixelTKD

ZenPixelTKD not just a natural blonde

We start learning from day one also.
    From 8th Gup onwards, 3 step, 2 step, and 1 step start to be included in gradings.
    We are expected to use blocks and counters from our patterns, to show that we understand the application of the patterns, as well as lock, and throws.
    I like doing one step sparring, as it looks good, and you can show off your technique and control.

13. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

I started from day one. If I remember correctly, I learned high block, high punch, and palm heel.
    Our philosophy: nine Gups, nine techniques. How many more do you really need?

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

those who have technique and control :D :Angel: :D

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

when i did kung fu we used these, would generally do 2-3 random attacks, other person had to block/evade, then counter. started doing them pretty much the first lesson

16. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

How do you do one step sparring without a partner?

17. jasonservis

jasonservis Avid crosstrainer

From the very first class we do one steps. First technique i had learned that evening was: Uke right punch, Tori right middle knife to the inside left,Tori counters with right knife hand to just underneath Uke's jaw. So simple a five year old can learn it.

18. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

why are you using japanese terms?

19. jasonservis

jasonservis Avid crosstrainer

I read and research japanese arts on top of my Tkd training, only came natural to describe the defense that way, I don't know the korean equavilant. :eek: Mabye I should have used student 1 and student 2, either way the general idea is shared. :D