Your fight style?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Southpaw535, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Ducks for cover!:eek:

2. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

She might drop that weight on you XD.

Unless you're into that stuff.

And Lou, thats illegal!XD

3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I think part the reason my shoot is so rubbish is because guillotine was not an issue in sanshou.

I was taught a different shoot in Wrestling. Head first almost like a headbutt into the solar plexus, it doesn't work as well if you are lifting up with the shoot, but works to take them down and not had yourself guillotined.
    Anyone used this shooting method?

4. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I typically shoot in, put my head in the center (as you say) to avoid the guillotine.

I put one leg on the outside, one leg between the feet, grab around the lower back with one hand, hook behind the knee with one hand, and turn the corner as I stand up and kick their lower body out to the side.

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Anyone think GSP's takedowns are about the best around? Awesome considering he hadn't wrestled before taking up mma.

This is partly why I love him. I won't elaborate on the other reasons here.

6. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

His chisled intellect? ;)

I dunno I think I'm still finding my fight style. I love to G&P and am pretty good at it which is a shock as its never been something thats appealled or that I've worked on much.

Generally I like to use my reach, jab, 1/2s, low kicks and try to set up my high right roundhouse which is prob my best kick. If I get taken down(which is often, my takedown defence needs work!) I try for subs, then create a scrabble and try to end up on top where I can G&P.

I love MMA, theres so much freedom to develop what works for you and create your own style! :)

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Get some muscled bloke and give him some tight shorts and the birds are all over him. I get my top off down the coast and i'm lucky to get a seagull crap on me :rolleyes:
    GSP's takedowns are insane though I don't think i've ever seen him completely fail.

8. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Its alright, our dashing good looks and our of "ground games" will see us through Southy!

:cool:

9. Shotofan

Shotofan Byakko (the wyte tygur)

Sometimes I like to come in with a front thrust kick (like kicking a door down) then get 'em with the ol' one-two! It sometimes leaves me open when they step to the side! Other than that I tend to be more defensive and wait for them to come in and throw an attack. That's when I counter, and from there I lite 'em up and tear 'em down!

10. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

im about to start MMA [first class tonight]
    doubt ill end up sparring tonight, and if i do ill have doubts about the club but still. for the moment, my style is pretty TKD based. i have a question for you MMA guys...

i know its common practice to kick the thighs, but what about the shoulders?
    as im a short/small person if i end up to close i can see myself getting pummeled. while at range though, im certain i would be able to land a few kicks to the shoulders/upper arm. hopefully softening their ability to punch.

is this idea at all possible? and has anyone tried it?

11. Axelator

Axelator Not called Alex.

I generally hit them in the face hard a few times, then if they're a BJJ guy whos been training for a few years I let them take me down, then I utilise my poor ground game for about 30 seconds before being submitted. That's how they go so far anyway.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hmmm not seen that done too much. I would be very careful if trying to kick the arms that you don't get the kick caught and taken down. Be really careful kicking high in mma. There's a thread I started somewhere on kicking mma.

Thigh/inner leg kicks are pretty dangerous if executed properly ,can really weaken the opponent's front leg and if the thigh kicks keep landing again they can weaken the opponent a great deal.

Doubt anyone would keep falling for you kicking their arm,as it's not really a stationary target is it.

13. Yohan

Mad props for getting in there though! Keep up the good work!

14. Yohan

You would get taken down SO FAST and SO HARD it would make your head spin.

The thing about kicking the legs is, you have to hit someone solid several times (depending on how tough they are) before you do damage to the legs. That's all well and good with the legs because they can't just grab your leg without dropping their hands and bending over, or changing levels, which leaves them open to some crucial shots to the head. If you had to kick someone in the arm 5 times to damage it, they'd snatch that leg at least one of those times and slam the snot out of you. The only time you should kick someone in the arm in MMA/NHB is when they put it between your leg and their body.

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

As a 5ft 7 person who spars with 6ft 6 guys often I wouldnt worry too much about having to get in at close range. Work your way in, cover up with your guard, weave in and get close, then work their body. There is also the clinch, I personally prefer working at close range, then go for the takedown maybe.
    Don't see being shorter as a disadvantage. You being from a tkd background will mean you are used to using kicks at range but once you start mma you will become used to working at closer range and you'll realise it's an important part of your game.

16. Axelator

I really don't know how to fight in MMA, my strong point by miles is my stand up and I'm normally stockier and stronger than most of my opponents in kickboxing so I use ringcraft to get them into a corner or just with there back against the ropes/cage then use head movement and straight punches to get inside and just take them apart with variations of the same combinations, right upper cut, left hook (my favourite) and right hook to the body left hook to the head. If they're still standing I'll create a new angle and repeat.

The problem in MMA is whenever I spar against taller guys I do my usual tactic of working them into a corner then when I try to get on the inside the second I get close they tie me up and either pull guard like in my fight or work for the take down. Sucks. I need to learn to dirty box in an mma context like Randy or something.

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

As long as you havnt got a fight coming up, Maybe do a little work on your clinch counters and guard passing?

18. Shotofan

Shotofan Byakko (the wyte tygur)

Well, ironized, I'm not sure how it works in sport, but in an actual fight, the shoulder area would be a good place to aim an ax kick if your target is the collar bone. That'll win the fight real quick-like!:evil:

19. Axelator

It will end the fight real quick but you wont win. Even if you get the range right and hit the shoulder you will not break it, your foot will get stuck there then your screwed.

If you want t neutralise boxing with kicks just round house kick there arms alot (preferably there power punching side). Watch Bruce Macfie vs Yodsanklai Fairtex to see how someone with good kicks can neutralise a boxer. Just keep a good range and pulverise there upper arm.

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

....or low kicks. A boxers lead leg is right out in front and unconditioned.