Your fight style?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Southpaw535, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Keep your head up and close to them so they can't get the arm round. Drop your knees, don't put your head down.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Thats all the problem was? I changed what takedowns I do for nothing :D

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Don't change your takedowns. Take a look at which bit of the technique you aren't quite getting and work at it, drill it loads, then see if it works rather than just dropping something that may work for you.

4. Southpaw535

cheers, new one i find easier though. I used to do a proper double leg (shocking at names) the one where you lift them onto your shoulder and drop them but it was hard with the size of the guys and without a gi for some reason. One I use now I just grab their legs and sweep them away and push into their side with my head. Either sweeps their legs away completely or if they're too big it topples them. Happy days!!

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It's entirely possible to do a double leg lift up on heavier guys, I can do it. It's all down to technique and drilling it. And catching them by surprise thinking you will never do something so daft :D

6. Southpaw535

Lol might get my butt to more wrestling classes

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Good thinking :D

8. Southpaw535

Unless you fancy giving me lessons :p

9. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

South are you doing the double leg by trying to lift them and not tip them over? If you are trying to pick up and dumb your not going to get very far. Where are your feet positioned when you do it?

10. Southpaw535

This is stuff I should've remembered to sort out when I was up there :D
    The one I used to try and epically fail at was shooting in crouched down with my foot/knee going between their legs, put my hands on the back of their knees and jsut stand up like your doing a squat. they end up your shoulder and you jsut fall sideways and try not to spike them on the mat. Thinking about it I think I used to not squat down enough so I was jsut basically bent over trying to lift them. I'll have a fiddle with that tomorow.

One I have more success with is just tipping. same setup up but I push my head into their side and pull their legs the other way. Other than the woman I used to spar, with most blokes they just sort of fall off balance. Works perfectly on my bro though :D

give me a few minutes and I'll try to dig up some pics

11. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Ok first one your better off grabbing the heels and pulling.

Second :

Shoot in head inside the leg (depending which way you shoot you lift that leg, so example I shot in and my head is tucked on the inside of the right leg or theyre back leg) my left leg i lift so Its as if im kneeling on the floor keeping my hands behind the knees. I use my right hand as a pushing / lifting method and tilt use my head to push towards my shoulder so in affect im pushing and lifting.

That make any kinda sense on here wihout images? I'll re-read in the morning minus a beer in hand

12. Southpaw535

Right. Pic time! I can't figure out how to put these in with text in between so I'll just paste the link. Sorry.

This is what I used to try. worked ok at bjj but for some reason struggled with it at mma. Might be the sweat I spose.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHcw_SdE08I"]YouTube - Human Weapon - MMA - Double Leg Takedown[/ame]

Closest I can find to the set up i was taught but I don't always have my knee on the floor. getting better at doing it like that but still have a habit of just stepping into it
    http://journal.crossfit.com/images/thumbnails/doubletakedown_190x350.baeef534.png

However this is how I'm pretty sure I used to end up. But nowhere near that bad, I did actually have my knees bent :D
    http://www.yumedojo.net/images/DOUBLE LEG.JPG

Ands this is what I do now. Sort of. If their in my weightclass they dont fall like that. their legs just get swept to the side and they drop
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLU_kPOASOU&feature=related"]YouTube - Double Leg Takedown[/ame]

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Bucket of water anyone?

14. Southpaw535

15. Moi

Lou's got a toyboi!

Lou and Lefty, sitting in a tree
    K - I - S - S - I - N - G

It's good to be a grown-up!

16. Southpaw535

Lol!!!!!! Gotta admit I creased at that! But sorry to kill whatever fantasy you were having tonight but I have two dating rules.
    1. Make sure they're alive (long story not worth getting into)
    2. Never go out with someone if it means I'm the one that gets battered

17. Moi

Don't know what your missing.

18. Southpaw535

There's a few parts of my anatomy I want to stay not missing

19. Moi

As long as you remember it isn't for sharing once married you get to keep it. Ask Slip.

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

AHEM!!!!! :evil: