Your Favourite Movie EVER!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Chimpcheng, May 22, 2012.

1. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

There are some fantastic movie choices here guys. I've yet to post my favourite as I'm having huge difficulty trying to narrow a top five, nevermind a top three or a single greatest movie of all time.

I'll get back to you... :D

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Not to mention what she'll do for $1000.
    Maybe your family is different than mine, but I ain't about to explain that one to my grandchildren. :cool:

3. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Ah two real gems mentioned here! The Princess Bride, one of my all time favourites, and one that I forgot about one of the best and most underrated sci fi movies ever. Gattaca!

4. CrowZer0

Gattaca, I forgot about this, it's a real gem of a movie. Must re-watch!

5. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Brandt can't watch, though, or he has to pay a hundred

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Gattaca, Heat, The Fith Element.
    Some films that I struggled with Leon, Shawshank, Lost in translation, Howl's Moving Castle, The Matrix.

7. CrowZer0

What do you mean by struggled with?

8. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Now, now, remember the rules. No more than three movies and you must tell us why and not just list a few movies...

9. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

Gladiator.

The word "epic" was invented for this film. The plot, dialogue, acting, camera work, lighting, and action come together to create a movie that punches all other films in the liver. And the music...

10. CrowZer0

Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, owner to a hungry dog, and I will have my vengeance in this life or the next!

*Ok the red isn't in the original but it should be.

11. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Debated whether to put them on the list.

Gattaca
    I felt for the lead character living a lie to achieve his dream. A story thats been done before but it felt fresh and new. I thought it would of been more sci fi but I think people who dislike sci fi would like it.
    "I never saved anything for the swim back."

Heat
    I heard it was good before I watched it. I expected some action but I also got immense character development
    "Told you I'm never going back... "

The Fith Element
    I love the epicness, and I find it a fun film.
    "Chi-cken... Good."

12. aikiMac

For grown-up movies, "Shawshank Redemption" might be the one. "Unforgiven" and "Grand Torino" are in the running. It's for the way the people change over time in significant, deep, substantive ways, yet so many characters in the movie don't get it. Pretty much Morgan Freeman saved Tim Robbins' life at the beginning by giving him a mental and emotional anchor. At the end Robbins saves him from suicide. The main story is a deeply moving tale of forgiveness and rehabilitation and triumph over adversity.

"Unforgiven" is similar in that it's the story of one person changing another person 180 degrees, and the story of why non-violence is better than violence. Eastwood repeatedly refers to his late wife as the reason why he lives how he lives. He tells his children over and over how she changed him, how she literally saved him. Her parents don't get it. They never see the new person Eastwood is, because they can't get past his past. And that young gunslinger who wants to be a famous outlaw? Eastwood warns him about the life, but the kid doesn't listen. The movie ends with him crying like a baby over the guilt he feels. He learns the hard way. And the writer who just wants to watch and record, and who doesn't even have a moral compass that lets him judge whether anyone is doing wrong? Wow.

"Gran Torino" is like "Unforgiven" but set in year 2000 Michigan, instead of 1880's Wyoming.

13. CrowZer0

Good, I thought you were saying you struggled to watch them because they were so bad! :)

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Gran Torino is a good one. I've cited that as a favourite before. I've watched John Woo's Hard Boiled enough times to constitute a favourite. Can't come down on a third. Too many to choose from.

15. bnyd

bnyd Valued Member

Seven Samurai

The Seven Samurai by Akira Kurosawa is simply amazing. But if you asked me last week, I would have said, The Avengers. :cool:

16. aikiMac

Yes, it is. Yes, it is. The only reason I don't put it in the top of my tops list is because I don't speak Japanese.