Your favorite weapon!

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Sonshu, Oct 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

a good pair of sai, great disarm ability, perfect defense. stab, slash, blunt strike, sai can do all three, beautiful weapons, its the only weapon i'm completely proficent with, i've trained with dual wakizashi as well as katana and escrima sticks, but not nearly as much.

2. Tankx1st

Tankx1st New Member

since you guys mention "weapons im proficent in"

TekkenGod = Sais
    GeeniusAtWurk = 9 section chain whip
    and of course

Weasel = Maglite with Strap(which is a REALLY good idea :D , no lie)

the only weapon i'm proficent in actually is
    just a nice aluminum Bat
    Louisville Slugger

Just go "EY BUDDY!" *BOOM!*

Now Thats some Fantastic Damage right there :D

3. munkiejunkie

munkiejunkie sanity's requiem

two words. The ground

4. wing chun

wing chun Banned Banned

i too enjoy a nice stick for head smashy. but they lack a certain style. i'm training in niten two sword fighting. i think bokkens are cool like smashy sticks but with an eastern flare.

5. Raven_Firedrago

Raven_Firedrago New Member

Swordchucks! :D

~R.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

pinute or barong or tabac or any bolo would do.

bastons regardless of whether they be rattan, kamagong, bahi or nara.

knife.

a nice badjac.

7. Chruffin

Chruffin Valued Member

It's gotta be the nunchaku! I'm not great with them yet but I'm nothing if not stubborn!

Though saying that, the Kubotan is pretty sweet too... easy to use and to conceal as well... :rolleyes:

8. tswolfman

tswolfman New Member

i got to go with a bo staff

Bo Staff for sure good reach easy to get a hold of and good to keep dumb people away

9. akira2000

akira2000 Valued Member

Mini UZI, M203 with grenade launcher, M4 commando :D

10. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

I recently purchased a set of these, and i have to they the best weapon ive ever trained with, even the guys in my club love them, i automatically switch off the concious brain and they become extensions of my hands....class

Attached Files:

11. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

um....I ahte to break it to you but those ARE NOT I repeat ARE NOT meant to be used for anything other than looking pretty. They have a chance of failing somewhere inside the handle around the tang I beleive. And they are made of unheat treated 420 stainless steel one of the lower grades of stainless steel bad idae for anything other than tableware.

12. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

those are no restrictions to personal training.....theres no way id use them for contact training....they dont belong in my style....but they ARE my favourite weapon, which I believe is the point of the post.....not analysis of someone elses choice.....correct me if im wrong.

again i hate to say it, but its not polite to critise someones personal choice....but if thats what you get off on, who am i to stop you.....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  13. Cudgel

well....most wallhangers will break apart with any kind of use whether its jsut swingng them around in the air or hitting things.

Abd I was not critising your choice so much as poiting out a danger to yourself and bystanders.

14. Zach

Zach New Member

my favorite weapon right now is the Bo staff although im not very good with it yet :)

15. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

The ultimate weapon would be an ultra violent street-gang totally devoted to me! -or perhaps a loyer/law enforcer

16. Esgrimador

Esgrimador New Member

European basket-hilted broadswords and backswords from the 16th-18th centuries, including:

Late German katzbalgers, circa 1545

English basket-hilts from the 1540s--aka "short swords"

Scottish basket-hilts from the late 16th century--aka "Irish" hilts, aka "Skottish short swords"

17th and 18th century Venetian schiavonas

Saber-bladed, basket-hilted Scottish turcaels

Equally lethal with edge or point, and with the best hand protection in the sword world.

The British 1796 pattern Light Cavalry Saber

One of the very best cutting swords ever made--the French were appalled by the way this weapon could sever heads and limbs.

Filipino talibong (talibon)

Wonderful, forward-swept blade and angled blade/hilt juncture.

Roman gladius Hispaniensis

Acutely pointed for thrusting, it nevertheless also swells at the center of percussion (COP), which makes it capable of severing limbs.

Iberian falcata

The quintessential forward-swept sword design, like a giant kukri.

The English quarterstaff--aka the "short staff"

Averaging around 8 or 9 feet in length, this simple piece of wood is superior to any sword (provided, at least, that you have the room to use it).

The Forest bill--aka the "Welsh hook"

One of the lightest of bladed polearms--it features a narrow bill-hook blade surmounted by a short spike, along with a separate long tine. Can be used for cutting, thrusting, and trapping. Considered by George Silver to be the most formidable of hand weapons.

The European two-handed sword, including the regional variants listed below:

The German zweihander, aka bidenhander--the classic two-handed sword of the landsknecht mercenaries.

The Italian spada da due mani, aka spadone--similar to its German relative

The Scottish "claymore"--often shorter, lighter, and faster than its Continental counterparts.

The Spanish espadon, aka montante--smaller even than a "claymore" this two-hander is more like of ******* sword, but of two-handed sword form and proportions

As the Italian fencing master Giacomo di Grassi noted, in his book from 1570, one man with a two-handed sword could deal with several men armed with one-handed swords.

17. Cudgel

it looks like we have yet another WMAist at MAP
    <insert loud cheering here>

18. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Do you practice/study any WMA-manuals? If so; which?

(I study Fior di Battaglia)

-And, yes; welcome WMA'er, hope you have time to check out the zweihenderthreads on this weapons-subforum, and that you have somthing to add to them!

19. Esgrimador

Esgrimador New Member

Stolenbjorn,

I do not formally study from any single manual, though I am partial to anything that I can readily digest in an English translation. I am most definitely an advocate of the writings of George Silver, who was one of the greatest martial artists of all time, IMO. His Paradoxes of Defence (1599) and Brief Instructions Upon My Paradoxes of Defence (circa 1605) are excellent books. However, I enjoy researching and interpreting from a wide range of treatises, from the 15th-19th centuries (with my main focus being on the 15th-16th centuries). I should also stress that my interest in period fencing manuals is directly tied in with my love of military history, and my research of each goes hand-in-hand.

Excellent--the Flos Duellatorum of the great master from Friuli (a very violent part of Italy at that time), Fiore dei Liberi.

Can you provide links to any specific threads?

Thanks,

E

20. Esgrimador

Esgrimador New Member

Well, I found one big three-page thread--are there any others? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.