Your Favorite Punch/Kick in Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by KyokushinTraine, May 8, 2004.

1. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Uhh Well my maegeri is fast and strong and I belive in it.

To quote sensei Kenny Taylor:"I mean look at this guy he's huge. Look at his leg, it's the size of my waist. If he would hit me he would brake me in half."

Regards Kerling

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

*shakes hand, considers executing seoi nage for all time's sake, then forces himself not to*
    Striking the stomach hurts, though. If it's hard enough, it can wind you, putting you at a SIGNIFICANT disadvantage.

3. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

gyakuzuki to the face would HURT!

mawashigeri is good but not as easy to use as maegeri...except when you snap out the maegeri it really hurts your knee :bang:

4. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Oh, yeah, it's your centre of gravity('Seikatanden'), I forgot. So that's the logic of it...please forgive my ignorance.

5. Knight_Errant

On the other hand, a hard, single kick to the stomach tends to be easily exploited. I tried it once when I was practicing after ours with Ollie the boxer- and got clocked for it.

6. kerling

Uhh ok so he hit you hard while you where trying to kick him?
    Did I understand you correctly?

7. Knight_Errant

No- he avoided the kick and jabbed me in the face.
    I suggest you don't try and argue with me on this one as you would be wrong.

8. kerling

He he .. then it was a bad kick (timing/distance/overextension/underextension/blablabla .... ) or a good defense.

But then is the kick all bad because it failed once. No technique I know is all powerfull and will always work. Not even a sawed off shotgun at a close range!!!

Try tell him maegeri comming and kick him with a diffrent flawor of the kick. Don't stop there and think "It's crap".

9. Knight_Errant

Yeah, yeah. I don't need lectures on this from you, thank you very much. I specifically said a HARD kick- something you've chosen to ignore. A snappy kick as a pointwinner or as part of a combination would be a different matter. Then again, it wouldn't be as hard. No half-decent karateka should get caught with a great big maegeri when you're fighting head-to-head.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  10. kerling

Well thank you for editing this out of your post it doesn't look as rude now.

Ahh.. I didn't see the HARD part of you post but does it matter so much.

You tried it, it failed, try it again. Train it don't get caught with it. Any how before doing a maegeri usually some fine(qick and small) stepping is need for the kick to be fast enaugh and hard enaugh to land. Full distance maegeri can only come from very quick people, only 2 people I train with can actually land it from a full safe distance (my club has about 360 people).

Best regards Kerling

11. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

I think KE is in the right here, but I don't know why he's being, in my view, hostile. Mae geri isn't a great kick to use against a quick opponent, especially boxers. I would only use low kicks against skilled punchers. If you try a medium level kick, most can see it coming, and just smash you down. In a ring fight, I just don't see it working. Their are too many factors against it, like the fact that attacks to the stomach are nearly impossible if you try them head on. I would only use hooks or roundhouses to get to the body. Like KE said, you would get mangled if your foot gets caught, or he sidesteps and backfists you hard.

12. Knight_Errant

I misinterpreted Kerling's comments- then I took a look at his profile.
    Another reason is that, in an MMA or self defence situation, Mae-geri as an outside technique is a possible bad move. How much so, I dunno.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  13. shotokanwarrior

No offence KE, but why does being a teenager mean someone should be treated with disregard?

14. shotokanwarrior

No offence KE, but why does being a teenager mean someone should be treated with disregard? I thought everyone was treated with respect in MA.

I agree with you though KE, mae geri is very easy to see coming. If you are one of those people who like to look at an opponent's central body mass(usually the solar plexus) when fighting you can block/seize it sitting on your ass.

15. shotokanwarrior

'Nother question from an ignorant bugger

Hey, guys. Please don't get ****ed off about my ignorance, I know zilch about kickboxing, but why if they are being repeatedly kicked hard in the lower abdomen, don't they use a downward block? Or do kickboxers launch their kicks so fast that blocking goes out the window? Someone enlighten me.

16. Knight_Errant

You could use a downward block- unforunately, it puts your arm in a position that can become... awkward...

17. shotokanwarrior

Locks you mean?

18. Ujio

Ujio New Member

To downward block you momentarily leave your head open to attack.

19. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Not to mention that some (all right, quite a few) kickboxing schools teach covering up and dodging over blocking. If you are referring to ring kickboxing, I'm guessing it's because they don't really block with their arms, they more or less dodge the kick, or forearm block.

20. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

I hate the mae geri becuase its hard (for me and maybe many others) to generate enough thrust to actually injure somebody. Ive been hit with a really good mae geri to the abdomin in sparring before and I wasn't really impressed, it really had no effect. The yoko geri, I do like though. If it doesn't actually hurt you, it will still work effectively as a jamming technique or a move to push someone back during their offensive. The problem being is that it takes a little longer to execute and your stance isnt very stable at all times while your doing it. The mikazuki geri (spelling) hook or crescent kick, is pure trash imo.

MY favourites are the low mawashi geri, the oi zuki, and the gyaku zuki. Thats for sparring though, in a self defense situation I would go with the nukete (spelling) or a taisho or something, maybe a kinsetsu geri.