Your Favorite Punch/Kick in Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by KyokushinTraine, May 8, 2004.

1. matsushorinryu

matsushorinryu New Member

I have found the shuto strike to be effective and powerfull with proper hand conditioning.

2. prodigy

prodigy New Member

hey hers what i think is a generally useful question.
    ok
    im very fit and everything, strong, overall fit, especially for my age.
    how does one go about training their chops to be able to break boards and stuff.

3. matsushorinryu

matsushorinryu New Member

personally, find a nice piece of wood like a 2X4 and chop it for a while, do it every day for a bit, same way as any other conditioning, boards with a chop are simple after a while, and so is concrete, just requires conditioning.

4. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

a one inch pine board breaks with about 70 lbs. of pressure, so i doubt it would hurt much if you applied the same force to say, the chin, as opposed to a 550 lbs. of pressure punch.

5. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

Hi Ash

I think shuto can be a powerful technique. However, the way its usually done, generating power by turning the hips in the opposite direction, isn't very powerful in my opinion. I prefer to generate power by the forward momentum of my body (the hips may incidentally turn the other way). Try it on a punch bag. Also try striking with the forearm bone (ulna) as an alternative to the edge of the hand. I find shuto often easier to perform and more powerful than a punch.

Another thing to bear in mind is the target. Prodigy asked if the neck was a good target for shuto. Very much so. The neck is simply brimming with vulnerable targets. However you should not go around striking training partners' necks to see what happens. There is simply too much risk of serious injury, which is why you'll find striking the neck illegal in just about any martial sport I can think of. To understand how, when and where to strike the neck you should train with someone who knows what they're doing in this regard.

As for striking and breaking the collarbone, personally I'd rather hit the neck which is predominantly composed of soft tissue rather than bone.

Mike

6. prodigy

prodigy New Member

should a martialartist's style try to use the momentum from attacks they just did to easily to another technique sort of in conjunction?
    i mean, should i try to keep a rythm. or focus and just do what it takes to overcome your opponent?
    well anyone who understands answer :Alien:

7. karate_fiend

karate_fiend New Member

i like the low round kicks to the legs (good entry kicks) and then the simple good ol jab reverse gets the job done

8. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Hook kick! I am notorious for kicking just past a guy, then hooking it back right into his kidneys. Also, for some reason, I can always manage to get a groin shot with my outside crescent kick...
    For upper body techniques, there's another devious one that I rather like. Since I'm smaller than a lot of other people I spar, I have a tendency to use high blocks a lot. Block your opponent's arm just enough so his armpit opens up, then drive your elbow straight down into his armpit, near the top of his rib cage. I don't care how big he is, that one is going to hurt.

9. prodigy

prodigy New Member

maybe something like a double sweep kick.

10. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Possibly. There's a collection of 'tricks' you can learn. It's a matter of body mechanics and internal rythm. Every time you spar, you pick up another little nugget of information.

Incidentally, is it me, or is mawashi geri just the coolest technique ever, ever to see the living sun?

11. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

if you are looking for the "KO", rather than the severe injury, then use momentum. rhythm really helps you find that opening, and adds on power to boot.

12. prodigy

prodigy New Member

i think the way i fight has too much rythm and not enough focus, then again, i barely ever fight serious when i spar withy my bro.

13. Knight_Errant

depends what you mean by 'focus'. The 'focus' waffled about extensively in some karate is a myth. It's not just rythm either- it's qualities like timing, distance, the ability to react, etc. You can't really have 'too much' of these things.

14. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

I like the reverse punch the best. It's a good scorer in semi contact, and can pack a punch when used in full contact. Also makes a good follow up for the point after you create an opening.

15. jeff29053

jeff29053 New Member

My personal favs....

Favorite Punch: Oi Tsuke (Lunge Punch)

Favorite Kick: Mae Geri (Front Kick) Or Mae Kekomi Geri (Front thrust kick)

Favorite Hand technique: Tora (Tiger)

Favorite Submission hold: Juji-Gatame

P.S.- Shutos do hurt! They arn't meant to have alot of power. They are meant to hit vital areas where a sharper striking surface is more effective as opposed to a blunt surface such as a fist or Tetui Tsuke (Hammer Fist).

Ex.- Shuto to -Stomach 12- or -Colon 18- is much more effective than a straight in punch. Not because of power but because of a more accurate striking surface and better penetration.

16. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Originally posted by Tang Sou im:
    You aim at vulnerable areas such as the above when sparring???? Jesus!

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

... most people do.

for me, lead hook has to be my favourite punch. favourite kick, stepping side kick. not that i ever use it, but it looks pretty cool ;)

I never really found double punches to be very effective, how do you find them tang sou?

18. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

I wanna ask you a question. Surely the use of this tactic means they can be fairly sure of landing their shots. So why don't they just go for the solar plexus??? One hard shot, Ksssssshhh, no more warrior. I'm not claiming that I'm always right and everyone else is talking malarkey - I'm just curious.

19. Knight_Errant

1. It's harder to land a hit on the chest- it's covered by both hands, even when you're holding your guard high.
    2. Kicking the solar plexus is dangerous.

20. animefreak88

animefreak88 Valued Member

i just love side kicks to the opponent's stomach and ribs. and for most students under brown belt, i can slip it in more than 3/4 of the time :Angel: