Your Favorite Kind of Weapon.

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Shokku, Oct 8, 2005.

?

What is your favorite type of weapon?

1. Melee blunt..

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Melee bladed.

30 vote(s)
    53.6%
  3. Melee chained.

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. Ranged blunt.

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. Ranged blade.

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. Ranged chained.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Projectile blunt.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  8. Projectile bladed.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. Projectile chained. (please post)

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

What ryuha were you training in?

One of the guys who is my Budo senior once told me that fighting against a kusarigama is like putting your sexual organ into a blender - Something you don't want to do that often!

2. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Lol! That's really funny.....rings true though..

I train in Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu at Jan de Jong's school in Western Australia.

Have you heard of it? Not sure when Kusarigama comes into the grading syllabus....probably around 3rd dan...there's alot of weapon stuff in that grade, and its the last technical grade of Tsutsumi Hozan ryu...

Actually to be honest i'm not sure the Kusariigama even forms part of the syllabus.

http://www.indianoceandojo.com.au/history.html

There's a nice bit of history of the art if you were interested...explains how it went from being a Koryu art into what it is today...

The Indian Ocean dojo is (as far as i know) run by Sensei Robert Hymus, who was taught by Jan de Jong.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  3. Sojiro

Sojiro New Member

i downloaded this japanese movie the other night, i was referred to it when reading up on mr.miyamoto again, and it involves a short kusari-gama vs. twin katana duel. ^^

i keep see'ing*** this technique used in movies, where a chain weapon is projected to tie the sword, and then somehow the sword manages to fly out of the wielders hands.

with a real sword, and in real life, considering the thickness of an average chain, wudnt a sword be able to break the link? :/

4. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I really doubt it...it certainly won'y slice through the chain if that's what you mean. The metals plus the weight on the end of the chain will help the chain cling to the blade.

The only way i can see a katana snapping the chain would be if the user tried to block a cut with a bit of outstretched chain...if held too taut, the chain MAY snap.

5. Kogusoku

That's the Shishido Baiken duel, where Miyamoto Musashi is supposed to have one using a shuriken.

Well the general construction of the kusari (chain) itself is quite complicated, depending on the style of kusarigama made. Usually, all links are completely circular and are welded shut to reinforce the ring after being linked.

One exception I have seen is where a kusarigama had triangular sharpened links. This was to ensure that when the kusari wrapped around the enemy's neck, or limb, not only would it grip and tear the flesh as he tried to pull free, but it would also give the enemy lockjaw or tetanus.

6. Kogusoku

Yes, I have heard of Tsutsumi Hozan-ryu. Quite an interesting system. Were there any other weapons taught?

7. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

The school teaches ken and iaijutsu (Katori ryu and Mugai ryu respectively), but attatched to the Tsutsumi Hozan syllabus is the use of:

Katana
    Kodachi
    Tanto
    Tanbo*
    Jo
    Bo (though not much is taught on the Bo)
    Manrikigusari
    Nunchaku (Likewise i don't think there is much taught there...its basically an adapted Manriki)
    Kusarigama
    Rope (hojojutsu)

*Jan de Jong mixed the Tsutsumi method of using the tanbo with his Pencak Silat training, so the method taught at the school isn't entirely the Tsutsumi Hozan method.

The only regular training i've had is with the Katana, as well as the Jujitsu itself.

8. Kogusoku

So I take it from what you have written that Tsutsumi Hozan-ryu is kind of a mish-mash of koryu techniques, or are the techniques of Mugai-ryu & Katori shinto-ryu taught sepearately?

How long did Mr. De Jong study in Japan?

9. SledgehammerX

SledgehammerX New Member

I prefer a Bo Staff or Escrima Sticks :woo:

10. Shokku

Shokku Banned Banned

Hmmm. I've just discovered a new weapon, that is, for some reason, very appealing to me. This is the da dao, or fighting sword. :-O

11. scaythe

scaythe Valued Member

Yeah, my brother owns one, nasty looking things and very quick.

12. scaythe

scaythe Valued Member

As for favourite weapon, probably the jian, though the dao comes a very very very close second. I know how to use both, but prefer the application for the jian, especially using techniques from the qingping forms.

13. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Its not a mish mash...Katori Ryu and Mugai ryu are taught seperately...though there is also a kenjutsu component to Tsutsumi Hozan ryu....sorry, i think i worded that badly.

I'm not entirely sure how long Shihan spent in Japan. He learnt Aikido and the two sword styles there, but he learnt Tsutsumi Hozan Ryu in Indonesia, under the two Saito brothers, those two being the only men who still taught it at that stage.

14. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Bo Staff, Sais, Nunchukus, Katana, Wazikushi (Probably spelled wrong), Spear, Naginata, and much more :D .

No guns, no guns at all! :woo: :bang:

15. Kogusoku

It's nunchaku and wakizashi.

16. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Yeah thanks for the spellcheck.
    The nunchuku was a misprint ;) .

17. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

and how much formal training do you have with these weapons?

18. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

:bang: Couldn't :bang: someone make i :bang: t so that only moderators may post polls? This is like the 20th poll conserning "what is :bang: your favourite weapon" since I started using MAP only 2 years ago :bang: :bang:

Perhaps I should start a poll about it?

"Should people allways starting the same polls over and over again be allowed to post polls?" :woo:

Personally, I train systems, not weapons. I train the weapons that is used by that particular system, and every weapon have its charm.

19. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Spooky, why are you always concerned about what formal teaching I have?
    You think I'm "another self-taught n00b", quoted from the "Pros" at Martial Arts.

20. 10 men

10 men New Member

favourite weapon??? probly a japanese katana,or the weapon the native american indians used called tomahawks,they are short single handed axes :D :cool: