Your Favorite Drills

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Mandras, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Mandras

Mandras Eats Ninjas For Breakfast

Last night I got to take the class for about 15 mins as the head instructor. Really scary but I think I got through it ok....

However I found I was just copying the drills and exercises we usually do.... so knowing the wealth of instructors on this site I thought I'd ask what your favourite drills to do in class are (patterns, sparring, warm-ups etc.) in the hope that I could borrow them ;)

oh, and obviously you don't have to be an instructor... :)
    Thanks

2. papercut

papercut New Member

when I teach I normally warm them up with some basic kicks that strech them out a little and then we do some actual streching splits,butterfly,figure 4 etc. then apple pickers and jump tucks to get the blood flowing and my favorite thing to do for sparring when I'm training is the round robin sparring so I can spar everyone and vice versa and forms classes we go from the lowest belt to the highest form that I know and seeing as how I know every form we've ever been taught and a few others no one else knows except the main instuctor and I its a really good work out.

3. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

use the search button and you'll find a lot of of ''favourite ....'' threads. you can also continue your dicussion there.

4. bmcgonag

bmcgonag Valued Member

I personally tend to stick with drills that actually have something to do with improving technique.

Let me give an example. I've never been a huge fan of jumping jacks. They are great for getting the body warm, and the wind going, but most students tend to do them sloppily, and that's no good. Beyond the previous I see no advantage to any technique by doing jumping jacks. There are plenty of other exercises that will get you warm, and get your wind going.

I do grass hoppers:
    Full knuckle push-up position, lower to just below the floor level, then staying low, hop across the room on knuckles and toes.

Advantage: Toughens the knuckles, trains the student to keep the wrist straight for punching, and they don't even know it, unless you tell them.

Body drags:
    Knuckle Push-up position, on knees, raise lower leg up til heel hits butt and hold. With arms extended straight, pull (on knuckles) body across the room.

Advantage: Toughens the knuckles, trains the student to keep the wrist straight when punching, and builds the arm, chest, upper back, and shoulder muscles.

For higher jump kicks:
    Jump straight up as high as possible 2 legs, then after a set, do again on 1 leg, a set for each leg of course. Then 2 legs spinning 180 degrees for a set, and 2 legs spinning 360 degrees for a set. Focus on maintaining balance, target acquisition to avoid dizziness, and higher jumps.

For overall higher kicks and better flexibility, just work the kicks at mid level to warm up good, then stretch as normal.

Hope these help,

Brian