Your favorite BJJ memory/moment?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by RandomTriangle, Jul 16, 2008.

1. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

I thought it would be fun to share the moments that made us the happiest/proudest/etc...

Feel free to name as many as you want.

I'll start... I did not get a single tap for the first 4 months of training. The program was small. In fact there were only other two students, blue belts, when I started.

Being smaller (than both of them) and more importantly, less experienced, i was destroyed EVERY class. I did not get a single tap for about 4 months. They obviously didn't give me an inch.

Then one day i went for a basic lapel choke on one of the blue belts... and i got lucky, and actually choked him asleep.

It was crazy, he started spitting and “spazzing” out. Scarred the crap out of me, yet i couldn’t help smiling... it was my first tap.

2. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Getting my first tap from a blue belt, on something I never thought would work.
    Then going back to traditional JJ and damn nearly getting the senior grades there.

3. forever young

forever young Valued Member

I agree, getting my first tap from a blue belt was a pretty good moment, as was actually getting my blue. Entering my first comp was a pretty memorable moment too, especially as it was a big competition.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Fav memory....?

We had a new guy come to our no-gi class who was a Royal Marine, he'd done some boxing but no form of grappling.

During the course of the session he ended up rolling with my wife, a total physical mis-match (he must of out weighed her by about 5/6 stone). He ended up just bruting on an americana through sheer strength.

The wife taps, readjusts herself squares up with him (on knees) and taps in again......

She explodes onto her feet, slaps the back of his head down and guillotines him with the guard. The next five minutes are a repeat of this using diffenent variations.

He never came back :)

5. BJJitsu

BJJitsu New Member

I always find it entertaining when a (kick)boxer comes and joins a training. They seriously don't know what to do when they're on the ground. Most of them even tap once they're on the ground, without an armbar or anything.

It's also really entertaining when you see them grow, how they use technique above strength. Yea, that's nice :)

6. Toe-Job

Toe-Job Valued Member

My least memorable moment was when I had this guy in a Triangle and he puked on me!!! :-(

He didnt need to tap!! I decided to just let go at this point!!!

7. BJJitsu

BJJitsu New Member

Haha, poor puking guy :p

8. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I still remember one traditional JJ grading when we were grappling, and beating all the green belts. That was fun.

And there was my actual green belt, where I passed out in the middle when a choke wasn't even on. I still haven't figured out what happened there.

9. Sweeper

Sweeper Banned Banned

A strong white belt kept murdering me with kimuras, and I could never tap him. I studied kimuras, and finally after 9 months tapped him with a kimura from bottom half guard, he hadn't even noticed I had gotten his wrist.

That was sweet.

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Doing a downbranch - straight armbar - took the back - applied a rear triangle combo to set up a straight arm bar. It was beautiful.

11. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

When I caught one of our most talented blue belts with an armbar. I got it pretty deep from guard, he stacked me up, I kept the arm and rolled on my shoulders so that I ended up face down, then as he attempted to roll out of it, I moved to my back and ended up finishing the armbar.

I felt really good about that, because it wasn't a fluke. I had tapped blue belts before that, but this was the first time I actually felt like I got it with technique rather than strength or forcing it.

Just recently getting my blue belt is way up there, too. And, as others have mentioned, winning in competition feels pretty good, too.

12. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I think mine was the first time I hit the MMA-style Harai Goshi, the where you overhook the near arm and control the far arm at the tricep.
    The guy did a full head-over-heels 360 around my leg, and landed flat on his back. I reminded standing after the throw, rather than falling into side control, but he didn't particularly try to move or get up.
    Even though it was BJJ, and not Judo, I awarded myself an Ippon for that throw.

13. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

I was at a medical school interview in Houston a couple years ago, and one of the deans was my interviewer. She was flipping thru my file and she was like "oh yeah, i was meaning to ask about this" - I thought she was going to bring up the six C's I got throughout undergrad, the fact that my science GPA was a 3.0, and a bunch of other blemishes on my application. Nope.

"There's a BRAZILIAN jiujitsu?!?!"

Took some time to explain it, what the diff was between JJJ and BJJ, etc, made for a pretty easy interview...

14. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Due to my lack of experience and size issues there haven't been many, but I always enjoy getting armbars or guillotines on big hulking newbie males!

I managed a textbook perfect armbar from the mount on a newbie girl the other week and I got a couple of comments the week before from another newbie male stating 'your a wriggly little thing aren't you, I can't get a hold of you' and 'your really strong for such a little thing'! It was a bit patronising, but it made me feel well chuffed!

15. RandomTriangle

RandomTriangle Valued Member

A close second would be the only time i tapped my instructor (i've only tapped two black belts... ever... out of literally 1000 rolls...).

It was the week after getting my purple belt and i was just "charged." I caught him with a straight arm bar from guard... after he tapped i was like "did you give me that!?" He said, "Just keep going lol" AND i actually caught him again...

2 years later i've never caught him again. haha

He is literally 5 times better than i. But it just goes to show you can't let your "guard" down for a second lol

16. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

So far this:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79054

and also last tuesday we were doing a passing the guard exercise, winner stays on. normally this means I spend 30 secs in someones guard before being subbed/swept and then 5mins waiting in queue for my next opportunity to be subbed...
    However last tuesday apparently I got game:
    Managed to pass the guard and get side control on a guy who normally gives me alot of trouble and i'd never beat him before, then the next person I managed to sub with my first ever triangle, w00t!! - i'd tried for an armbar and couldn't get and whilst struggling (for an embarrisingly long time) i suddenly realised I was perfectly set up for a triangle. Huzzah!

It was one of those "oh, hey, I actually seem to know what I'm doing now!" moments...

then the next guy kicked my ass. ;)

17. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It's not strictly bjj, but submitting the instructors son who is very very good, with a rear naked choke.He then told me I was a "handful" and made him work for his subs. :D

18. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

i'm not sure here is the best place to talk about your sex life... ;)