Your best gig

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bozza Bostik, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I am not a huge concert goer really. For some reason a lot of bands I like really disapointed me live - I come away feeling "meh" about the whole thing a lot of the time. My first concert was Van Halen when I was a teenager, and I went away from it thinking that I didn't really get why people were so excited about rock concerts. And I was a fan when I went, too! Maybe I am hard to please?

But some that stand out:

Faith no more 1992. Pretty crazy. Was in a smallish hall, so was close. Mike Patton crowd surfed around the whole place. Great songs, fun time. Wild crowd!!! Not my favorite band, but I knew most of what they played as I listened to The Real Thing a lot around that time.

Kiss in 1996. I am only the most casual of Kiss fans - know a dozen or so songs, but I got a free ticket so I went. All the stuff you hear about Kiss putting on an excellent stage show are true! Pretty much over the top in every way, and I liked it a lot more that I would have expected. I feel Ace is vastly overrated as a guitarist, and Paul Stanley is underrated - he was very solid. Gene Simmons did all the crazy stuff he is famous for.

Dio in 2003. I am a big Dio fan and he did not disapoint! Superb voice, great show. Lots of outstanding songs, and Dio and his band were really into it. Probably the best singer I have seen live. Also Iron Maiden opened, and they were very good (but I had seem them do better).

Back in 1990 (I think) my band played at a Mosh Fest. We were metal, and were extremely awful - but a lot of the bands were more punk. Some were very good, and it was a great time. That was an experience as good as about any other concert I have been to.

In fact I have had as good or a better a time at various small clubs showing up and seeing some random band do their thing. While in various bands, I'd see a lot of other groups - and some bits and pieces of that were truely excellent. I've seen some exceptional musicians this way!

2. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

For pure showmanship , def leppard , in the round in 92ish ? , they were touring the adrenalize album.
    Magnum have delivered consistently great gigs over the years , I'm really looking forward to seeing them again in December.
    The worst was probably status quo , everybody else seemed to be having a great time , just didn't do anything for me.

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Bryan Adams charity concert.

I've only been to a few concerts so my options are limited, but this has to top it. It wasn't the biggest or the flashiest, the venue was a little cheap and cheerful, the sound rigging wasn't 100% great and the weather risked being awful.

But man...he had some real stage presence. We were about 15 metres from the stage, standing so we got to see him up close. But I have never seen anyone get a crowd going like he could. Everyone was on their feet dancing, singing and cheering regardless of whether or not anyone knew the lyrics. Then when he left the stage and ran to a podium in the middle of the crowd, pulling people up with him to carry on dancing...it was just awesome. Considering the state of my mental health and happiness at the time, it was the first time in years that I had felt genuinely happy and had a real smile on my face.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

One of my secret shames!! :eek: It's just an ace pop song! Leave me alone.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W2jONIjrM0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W2jONIjrM0[/ame]

5. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

And to think of the times you mocked me and my "music" choices... :p

To be fair though, that is a proper hairbrush song at it's finest. It's horribly cheery.

6. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I saw Rush during the Snakes and Arrows Tour. For an older group, they still put on a hell of a show (no opener, just four hours of Rush):
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03r5VM_-nPg"]CIRCUMSTANCES - RUSH Snakes and Arrows Live - YouTube[/ame]

I was also pretty happy seeing Nightwish when they were in Baltimore, while Annete was still with the band - smaller venue, so the band looked like giants.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLpJSsagPCo&list=UU1ThcTciWMBEHE7NaPnn2Aw"]Intro Nightwish - 7 Days to the Wolves - LIVE - YouTube[/ame]

7. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Although, seeing the thread title, I originally thought you meant best gig I've played. Which would have to be Valentine's Day 2011 at the Horse You Came in On (Baltimore).

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Some of the best gigs I've been to were Gary Glitter concerts. But I never mention them nowadays.

Oops... I just did. :eek:

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've been to two Gary Glitter gigs and both were fantastic.

Great fans with outrageous costumes.

As you say though, best not mentioned in polite company.

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It'll just be our little secret.

11. Bozza Bostik

oh, don't you start as well. :) It was my first day back at work today, I was there for an hour and a half and totally exhausted when I wrote that title.

Anyway....you know the drill, vids or it didn't happen.

The best gig I've played ended up with me being totally sick of the band, singing stupid things, abusing the rest of the band verbally (I had the mic) and taking my clothes off and then putting on a bra. There is no vids...so it didn't happen! Honest.

12. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

1) My Mom WOULDN'T let me, I had to sneak out, #sohardcore, #punkrock, #kickass, #yeahyeahyeah.

2) They were awesome I think a fleck of the cute one's spittle landed in my eye.

13. Bozza Bostik

Which cute one? They're all cute.

14. philosoraptor

I don't actually know who they are, except that South Park made fun of them :[

15. Bozza Bostik

I don't either to be honest. I just know they're a boy band. I checked google and I don't fancy any of them really.

16. philosoraptor

I feel like it's a younger version of the Fellowship of the Ring. Got some hobbit looking dudes up in here.

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Guitar Wolf (Japanese Teddy Boy Punk) I've gone to see a couple of times because they are so much fun. Also the lead singer just being completely off his head the entire time makes for interesting happenings. One time he went to crowd surf and somehow missed the crowd.
    KO'd right in the middle of the set...got dragged right back up the stage. Continued playing... (raise metal hand sign in air)

BioHazard I got involved in a "Circle of Death"...that day I learned the value of head movement and footwork.

Rammstein. Now, that was a lot of fun....and interesting event occured. During all the flames/pyro/hydro technics the group do sign at some point and like to get the crowd involved.
    I have a story here where I'm not comfortable to mention in a public forum but if you ever have the chance to meet me I'll tell all about it ;p

Oh I also been to an Aaron Kwok concert (Hong Kong singer actor...he's like what Ricky Martin wanted to be..you guys may recognise him as Cloud from Storm Warriors)
    Sexiest man alive for real. :love:

18. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I'm not in a band band (though I've performed in cultural performance troupe many ancient years ago), and this isn't a 'best' gig (though I do like it), but it is one that is on video, so here's one from a few years back. Yours truly is in the straw hat playing berimbau.

Also, though we've communicated back and forth a fair bit, I don't think I've ever shown you any clips of our group doing anything.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmFd0GnoSRE"]Kalunga N'golo Performs at Carnival Connection at The Miller Outdoor Theater 3/27/11 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  19. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Oh, and another good show I went to was a performance by the Sun Ra Arkestra in 2005 (well after Sun Ra had passed away) at a local arts education nonprofit located in an old school. For a performance for such a small group, they brought the A game!

20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I have been to a lot of great concerts. Heart is my favorite band and they were always awesome! Got to see Stevie Ray Vaughan several times before he died. My one Grateful dead concert was pretty awesome.

I have seen Pat Benatar quite a few times, and she was always great too. But there was this one moment that stands out. She was playing in a smaller venue- about 10 days after 9/11. It was your standard concert until about halfway through it.

She started saying that her and Neil Giraldo had thought about cancelling the concert after the events of 9/11. But they decided that people might need a break from the mood and the news and so they decided to play anyways.

I wish there was a video of it, but Pat started singing our national anthem A cappella. I gotta admit, I don't even think our anthem is well, all that great a song. But that version, with the mood in the crowd, it gave one good chills. It was so beautiful, so powerful. It is something, although I am trying to, one cannot really describe.

I will never forget it. It was special.

Then, it was right back to the rest of the concert.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014