Your best gig

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bozza Bostik, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Rhythmkiller got me thinking...

What's the best or your favourite (or both) concert you have been too? Simple question and open to all styles. :)

I've been to so many that it is really hard to pinpoint one.

One of the best bands I have seen live, without a shadow of a doubt, is Public Enemy. I saw them at the Reading festival in '92. I like PE, but I am not the biggest fan out there, but the gig was really intense. A great live band indeed.

As for favourite gigs, that's a tough one. Probably a band called The Stitches who I saw last year in Austria. I've listened to the band for well over 15 years and are easily a favourite of mine, but I have always missed them play. They've only been to Europe a handful of times, so when they released their Euro tour dates I was booking flights 30 seconds later. Great gig and a little dream come true for me!

The Misfits were also great when they first toured after reforming..even with out Danzig. They basically did all their old songs, none of the garbage that they now write and perform. A lot of people grew up listening to The Misfits, so getting to see them play live after so long was an opportunity you didn't want to miss. Everyone turned up and the place was a mass brawl. Great fun. I saw them 3 or so times on that tour and maybe a few times on the tour after.

The first punk gig I went to was Broken Bones in my home town. I'd seen a handful of metal bands before that, Anthrax, Acid Reign and some small local bands that I can't remember. Broken Bones are from my hometown and relatively influential so the gig was well attended and there was a few local bands supporting. Probably not the best gig I've been to, but diving off the stage (for the first time) all night and joining mass sing-alongs on stage really did change my life...tacky but true.

So what's your favouritist or bestest gig?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
  2. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

been to a few myself, mostly mainstream bands though. U2 are my favourite band, ever since i heard Achtung Baby i have been a massive fan. Saw them play three times in Scotland, twice at Hampden and once in the SECC. My wife actually got me tickets to see them at the parc de princess in Paris and put me up in a ***** hotel as a wedding gift. That was on the Elevation tour.

I didn't go though. I had just landed at heathrow airport on my way back from St. lucia (honeymoon) when the london underground got hit 7/7 bombings. The pilot wasn't allowed to let us off the plane, two hours we were stuck. Eventually got off and caught my connecting flight to Glasgow. By the time i got home their was only 7 hours to make it to the gig. I was tired, annoyed and terrified of flying as the flight from St. Lucia was 13 hours. So missed that gig and regret it to this day.

Notable gigs

U2
    Beastie boys
    The Mars Volta
    Depeche mode
    Fun lovin criminals

Went to see the red hot Chilli peppers, was sorely dissapointed with them. They genuinely looked as if they didn't want to be there.

Baza

3. Bozza Bostik

Open to all styles mate!

You know, I know so many people who have said the same. I used to love RHCP and I'd watch the videos and they were the most energetic band you have ever seen. Then I saw them live in Birmingham (Blood Sugar Sex Magik tour maybe?) and it was really "playing by numbers". Potential one of the most disappointing bands live I've seen. Shame really 'cause Blood Sugar was a great album at the time.

I never listened to them after that.

Going abroad for gigs is always dodgy. Did it twice and both times the band got cancelled, third time lucky with The Stitches! But there was no bomb scares....just too much alcohol, probably drugs and very poor tour planning.

4. Purespite

Purespite Valued Member

I'd have to say my favourite gig was the Cardiacs at New Cross Venue (can't remember the date) - it was a fund raiser for The Organ. They were supported by Poisoned Electrick Head and Mirdanda Sex Garden. I remember seeing King Duncan and Dead Lee from Sheep on Drugs at the bar and being to shy to talk to them.

I've always enjoyed seeing New Model Army live as well - always used to come out a bit battered and sore of throat.

I remember a load of smaller industrial and goth gigs at Windsor Old Trout in the early nineties and thoroughly enjoying them - particularly the now defunct Mussolini Headkick - there were great but there was only about 8 people there. Must have been so disappointing for the band.

Mustn't forget my first Glastonbury as well - my mate dragged me away from the Shamen to go and see Shakespeare's Sister. Not sure what possessed him other than a crush on Siobhan Fahey. At least we managed to stay for Curve.

p.s. Acid Reign were responsible for my first foray into thrash when I was younger. I heard Goddess on a compilation called Protect the Innocent and it blew me away. Great song.

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You know what this thread is missing?

MUSIC! :D

I've had my mind blown by finding loads of old gigs on YouTube recently. Mostly awful phone footage, but it does jog the old nostalgia button.

I love Angel Dust (ahem... the album), and this was my first proper festival:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvJJWL4wwU"]Faith No More - 1995-07-15 - Hard Rock Caca - Stratford-Upon-Avon, England Full Set - YouTube[/ame]

No footage of this one, but Jesus Lizard around 1996 was amazing. Still one of my favourite bands, and there was hardly anyone there, but that didn't stop David Yow "crowdsurfing" on top of four people.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4HhbuI8oRk"]The Jesus Lizard - Head (1990) [Full Album] - YouTube[/ame]

More Mike Patton:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_NPzlVVelY"]Mr. Bungle - Goodbye Sober Day (Astoria 2000) - YouTube[/ame]

Battles, I still love their first album, not so keen after that. Great gig, unfortunately cut short because of FOH incompetencies.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVp1dVnPmWw"]Battles - Atlas - Glastonbury 2008 - YouTube[/ame]

And an amazing double-header at Glastonbury: Jerry Dammers' Spatial AKA Sun Ra Orchestra, followed by George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars. Immense.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1FYpkjBwPQ"]Space Is The Place Sun Ra Jerry Dammers' Spacial AKA Orchestra Glastonbury 2010 Saturday - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4e8pJJb8pw"]Parliament Funkadelic George Clinton Glastonbury 2010 Part 7 - YouTube[/ame]

Nearly saw Nirvana not long before Cobaine blew his head off, but decided I couldn't be bothered. Wish I'd seen Kyuss before they split. Other than that, I've ticked most off the list!

6. David Harrison

Oh, and how could I forget?

Frank Zappa's 200 Motels at the South Bank:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxmXNNI7_vM"]Zappa - 200 Motels - Strictly Genteel - BBC Concert Orchestra - Londres - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, got a bit carried away there... :)

7. Bozza Bostik

Six people is a pit mate!

I once went to see a Canadian pop-punk band called the McRackins. They dressed like eggs and a dog and the singer was called Phil (hah). I was studying in Liverpool and they were playing in Chester, which seemed totally weird, but we imagined people would go down for it.

We turned up (2 of us) and there was literally 2 or 3 other people there to see the band and 2 or 3 people who were there....because.

But it was great. Loads of banter between the band and between the band and audience. At one point they asked us to come to the front so we could pretend it's a packed gig. So we grabbed chairs and sat right in front of the stage.

They said it was the best turn out they ever had :))), but I really did feel sorry for them, even if they seemed to have a lot of fun themselves.

I never got the Nirvana thing. I went to see them at Reading, just 'cause I was there and might as well. But by that time Kurt and the band were a mess. Awful gig. I always preferred Tad and Mudhoney anyway.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  8. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Were they any good?

Baza

9. David Harrison

Yeah, I was never a huge fan. Was way more into thrash, industrial and death metal at the time. But it's just one of those "I could have said I did" kinda things.

Out of all that grungey stuff, I only love the grandaddies: Melvins.

Really have to see them soon...

10. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I've only ever been to one gig, and that was to take my wife to see The Cure at the Albert Hall..

Quite enjoyable :)

Attached Files:

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I am best gig.

Edit: Please for the love of god someone change the thread title I'm going to burst a vein up in here.

12. Bozza Bostik

OOOOPS!

13. Bozza Bostik

Good live. I can't remember what they sound like on record.

14. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Thread title changed.

15. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

I've been to so many concerts its hard to choose (mind you, this was before going back to school to pursue the PhD--now I have no life at all!). However, if I had to choose, it'd be a tie between a Tito Puente concert I went to in '98 or the Bamboleo show I went in '99/2000? Both shows were quite lively and the dancing was nonstop!

To add to the Nirvana talk above, I did get to see them some months before Cobain's suicide, when they were touring with the Breeders. I enjoyed the show--especially the Breeders, but it wouldn't be up among my favorites.

16. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

In terms of show, I was at this gig, pretty crazy stuff, they throw a large drum in to the crowd and surf around on it while performing. Really lively crazy atmosphere. Also managed to get the drumstick in the end and had two fights over it, so all in all pretty exciting night out. Sound in this video is atrocious though :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrsFo-jL5sI"]Gogol Bordello @ Camden Koko - Drum Surfing - YouTube[/ame]

In terms of music, this was one of my faves, came across it randomly on a free music magazine CD a while ago then saw they were having a gig at the Barbican and went to have a look. Its a mix of Pakistani Sufi qawwali music and French/Spanish classical/flamenco type stuff. Hearing it live is really out of this world, haven't experienced anything like this before. Feels like your going to float to the ceiling and smack your head on it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtcNMPW74DM"]Faiz Ali Faiz & Titi Robin - Jaadu - Ya Ali - YouTube[/ame]

17. Bozza Bostik

Thanks.

Now Philo can stop having a tantrum and tell us about the time his "mom" let him go to see One Direction. :p

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Shinedown, Halestorm and Alter Bridge at Wembley last year. If it had included Corey Taylor it would have been like my dream show.

I went with my mum and Shinedown has been a band we've both liked for a while and seeing them with her was great. Then Lzzy Hale is by far my favourite female vocalist and Halestorm bring an energy that is really incredible to see live. And finally, Alter Bridge is awesome and Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti might be one of the best music pairings I've heard.

19. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've seen a few big names, but I really don't like gigs where the band are little specks on a distant stage. I much prefer gigs where you can sit or stand right up close to the band.

Best gig I've been to by someone that any of you lot might have heard of was probably the Hawklords at the Leeds Irish Centre about three years ago.

20. Bozza Bostik

Nah, I am not a fan of big concerts or festivals. I was at one a week or so ago, but I would have rather seen the band in the backroom of a pub with my feet stuck to the floor and sweat dripping off the wall.