You may be more left-handed than you think

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by booksie_girl, Jul 18, 2004.

1. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An interesting article that I was given at school, from the Left Hander's Day website.
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    We all, of course, know in which hand we hold a pen, but how far does this bias extend throughout your body? Are you left-eared? Left eyed? Here is a simple test you can apply to yourself.
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Imagine the centre of your back is itching. Which hand do you scratch it with?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Interlock your fingers. Which thumb is uppermost?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Imagine you are applauding. Start clapping your hands. Which hand is uppermost?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Wink at an imaginary friend straight in front of you. Which eye does the winking?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Put your hands behind your back, one holding the other. Which hand is doing the holding?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Someone in front of you is shouting but you cannot hear the words. Cup your ear to hear better. Which ear do you cup?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. Count to three on your fingers, using the forefinger of the other hand. Which forefinger do you use?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Tilt your head over on to one shoulder. Which shoulder does it touch?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Fixate a small distant object with your eyes and point directly at it with your forefinger. Now close one eye. Now change eyes. Which eye was open when the fingertip remained in line with the small object? (When the other eye, the non-dominant one, is open and the dominant eye is closed, the finger will appear to move to one side of the object.)[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Fold your arms. Which forearm is uppermost?[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you have always considered yourself to be right or left-handed you will probably now have discovered that your body is less than total in its devotion to its favoured side. If you are right-handed the chances are that you were not able to be 'right' 10 times.[/font]

2. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

thats kinda funky :) unfortunatly i figured out i use my left hand more than i thought when i pulled a muscle in my left shoulder . Thought it would be ok cause i'm right handed but wow i useit alot.. :)

3. Togakure

Togakure New Member

My uncle used to tell me I had somthing the matter with my brain because I was left handed :eek: .

Wouldnt of been so bad if his own children where not so weird!

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Excellent Website. Some great info on "cack-handers". :D

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

My dad was born ambidextrous and when I was younger i was left handed. A lot of chinese families however wean their children to be right handed. So i write/paint/draw with my right but i more or less do everything else left handed, brush teeth, scratch etc...
    I also can draw and write with my left but i dont practice it much so the results are not as clear.

6. qbushido

qbushido Subaru whore/NYC kid

I'm as left handed as they come, about the only thing I can do from both sides is fight. good to see that there is plenty of other lefty martial artists here!

7. Lao

Lao New Member

I write equally badly with both hands. I think left handed folks tend to be more conscious of when they do stuff with a given side of the body than righties. Doors, languages, etc, are optimized for the right. I occasionally engage in some activity with my off hand for amusment and balance. A few weeks ago I tried chopsticks. Whoa.

As far as left handed martial artists, when I was taking computer science classes, there were almost no left handed people. Last week when I took a personal training exam there were a whole bunch of lefties.

8. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

I'm a weird case. My strong arm is the right, i did the test and in far most cases i used my right hand, but i write with my left.. very weird..

9. Keysier

Keysier New Member

I'm personally the same as Alex, my right arm is my strong arm - but I've always wrote with my left hand. I basically use my left hand for "artistic" work, basically its my dexterous hand. Whilst my right hand is my strength hand and I tend to do more manual labor with that hand (including driving). Most of the things I can do with my right hand I can do with my left, just not as well (like throw) and vise versa for my left. My handwriting with my right hand is really blocky and I can only print. While my left hand I have a tendancy to both print and use cursive interchangebly

10. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I'm all left handed except for teeth brushing. Though when for a laugh me and my mates played catch with our wrong hands I was throwing it straight to them where as my mates were throwing them all over the place :confused:

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Stupid. I am ambidextrious, yet for all of those I use my right hand/side.

Oh, and I am ambidextrious, since I write with my left hand, eat with my left hand, shoot the bird with my left hand most of the time, stuff like that.

PL

12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Did you know ......

That there are many right-handed people that play Golf left-handed?

Up to now though, I have never heard of a left-handed person, playing Golf right-handed.

:eek:

13. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

well i'm not ca...er left handed but i can't for the life of me work a normal saucepan. it's just plain wrong, stuff goes spilling all over the side without the lip. i can't be right handed with spoons and pans at the same time alas.

14. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I came out mostly left-handed in the quiz. I'm right-handed at the things I was taught to do as a child (writing, eating, etc.), and left-handed in most things I have taken up as an adult. For most new activities, I have to try them both ways to see if I'm right-handed or left-handed at them. In martial arts, I favor left-handedness, but can work from both sides.

15. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

my dad's right handed and used to just putt left handed, bought a special putter an everything, until the golf instructor taught him how to putt right handed.
    :rolleyes:

16. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

my hands are all screwed up :D :rolleyes: