You Hit Like A Girl

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by David Harrison, Apr 13, 2015.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Saw this Sport Science clip and thought it was interesting:

[EDIT: actual clips two posts down, but if you like tv shopping mishaps with katanas, watch this clip! :) ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdXNKYX3CXU

Even though it's trashy TV, and they are not comparing the same type of punch, it does go to show that power is more about technique than muscle mass.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My thoughts...you linked the wrong clip! :)
    Enjoyed it though.

3. David Harrison

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Good job it wasn't some dirty video or something. :)

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

It's always funny the amount of bad "science" on shows like that.

The man straight punches the crash test dummy from a stationary position and the woman leaps forward and throws a hook. Not exactly comparable IMO

6. David Harrison

I mentioned that in the OP, but it still demonstrates that striking technique goes a long way in generating power.

It also chimes with my experience. I've had big guys with little technique struggle to generate much power, and I've been hit by small guys and women who could really pack a punch.

7. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Sim, its about technique, getting your body weight into the punch. One thing I've learned though is you throw a cross or leaping hook with all your weight into it, if you miss it throws you off balance.

8. David Harrison

Leaping is rarely a good idea. It's about the kinetic chain from foot to fist and engaging the core.

Any power punch will compromise balance if it doesn't connect. How well you recover from that is again a matter of technique and practice.

9. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

For sure. It would've been nicer had they compared like with like though. I think their numbers would've been quite comparable then.

10. David Harrison

Sure, but she chose the best technique for the application, which again shows that technical knowledge can trump brute strength :)

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I remember thinking that back when I watched this on tv. Still, anyone who's trained with a woman who has experience will know the phrase is bunk.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't agree.

Reaching and leaning compromise balance, but power punching shouldn't.

The only difference between the rear cross in this video and the one that knocks you out is intent. The mechanics should remain the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6a4j4Hp4wE

Here at 4.30 Tyson fails to connect, but there is no compromise in balance and no need for any recovery movements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57XpyBwes6c

13. David Harrison

I saw Tyson recovering from that punch, which is unavoidable when you expect resistance to a movement that doesn't materialise. He recovers very quickly, again as you would expect from someone so skilled.

In an unskilled striker, the effects will be far more pronounced. The greater the skill, the more subtle and short-lived the effect.

All movement affects balance, and must be compensated for in some way if you are to return to your previous position (in this case a boxing guard).

In your video, you know that your punch will not meet resistance, so you automatically compensate.

14. Simon

I'll have to disagree.

As I've said. the intent changes, but the mechanics (should) stay the same.

Edit. Here's an example. from about 2.20 to 2.45. same mechanics, different intent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtLQVnk0WI

15. David Harrison

Yeah, I disagree. There are different forces at work between hitting something and hitting nothing. I don't believe they engage exactly the same muscles in exactly the same way. I don't see how they could.

16. Simon

Think of it like a golfers swing.

The swing is the same whether the ball is there or not.

The golfer swings, the ball gets in the way.

The mechanics are the same.

17. David Harrison

I get what you're saying, but a golf ball has far less mass than a human head. It also doesn't have the support of a muscular system to resist force.

Change your analogy from a golf ball to a baseball. Swinging the bat with no resistance means that you must engage antagonist muscles far more to decelerate the bat, compared to when the bat is met by the resistance of a speeding baseball.

18. Simon

This isn't a dig, but maybe you (we) need to have studied boxing and boxing mechanics.

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

If you watch some old George Foreman fights, you'll see he often "hits like a girl".

20. David Harrison

If you are punching the air, you must provide your own resistance to decelerate your strike. If you are punching a solid mass, some, or all, of the force you are exerting is resisted by the mass you are striking (and the muscular system, if it's a person).

I don't see how studying boxing can allow you to defy the laws of physics :confused: