Yoshida vs. Gardner

Discussion in 'Judo' started by defendwithhonor, Dec 3, 2004.

1. defendwithhonor

defendwithhonor New Member

On January 2, 2005 at PRIDE FIGHTING’S “Shockwave” event, mixed martial arts fan will see an unprecedented match-up! For the first time in MMA history it will be gold medal versus gold medal under MMA rules as Rulon Gardner of the United States (2000 Olympic gold medallist in Greco Roman Wrestling) will take on Hidehiko Yoshida of Japan (1992 Olympic gold medallist in Judo).

http://www.pridefc.com/pride2004/01_news.htm

How do you think this gold medalist vs. gold medalist match will play out? I am picking Yoshida by arm bar.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

my heart says yoshida... but rulon gardner has a BIG size and strength advantage. and is also very proficient (obviously) at wrestling. I'm not placing any bets thats for sure

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

MMMMMM!!..TASTY!!

Looking forward to this one. I feel Yoshida SHOULD win, but Rulon is one big lad! Can't wait whatever the final result

4. defendwithhonor

It will be interesting to see how Yoshida deals with Gardner's size and strength. I just think coming from a pure greco-wrestling background he will be susceptible to submissions. Wrestlers have that pin mentality. Still I wouldn't want to be underneath him and be hit by one of those big hands.

5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Word is that Gardner's training with Team Quest - one of the top MMA camps right now which trains Randy Couture, Matt Lindland, Evan Tanner and Dan Henderson among others. These guys know how to turn wrestlers into successful MMA competitors. This, coupled with Gardner's size and strength advantage makes me think that although Yoshida's got the experience edge, he's going to be in for a rough night. It won't be a pushover for Gardner, but I'm betting on him. I'm not betting big though ;)
    EDIT: Similar thread here

6. Zen TKD Warrior

Zen TKD Warrior New Member

While I agree that training with Team Quest is an advantage, remember that Gardner has only been traiing for a few months. IT will be intresting. More than Silva/Sakuraba 4.

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It's going to be a great fight :D I'm getting excited just thinking about it!!!

Here's a picture for ya'll!

No idea who i'd put me money on winning. If I had to pick, i'd have to go for Yoshida. Purely because hes got the advantage of competing under MMA rules many times before; where as this is Gardners first and will take some time to adapt.

Attached Files:

8. defendwithhonor

What techniques do you all think Yoshida will try to use to take Gardner down. I would think he would attack the legs and stay away from the upper body. I am new to Judo though.

I just found an interview with Yoshida at www.kakuto.com

Here is an interesting quote about Gardner's size.

Interviewer: I remember you have fought 135kilo class guy when you were doing judo.
    Yoshida: Yeah, but Rulon was beyond my expectation like you know his upper body is so huge, his arms are so big and hands are so thick. I was kinda surprised when I shook hands with him. I think he’s got strong power. If he tackles me I might be submitted.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  9. Has Gardner got any experience of MMA?

My money would go on Yoshida.

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

No, Gardner has no experiance in MMA.