Yoshida chokes out Gracie

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Syd, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

I've seen dozens of people pass out from chokes/strangles. Recovery time can be anywhere from 1/4 a second to 20 or 30 seconds, as long as the pressure is removed. Either way that's you finished for the night.

In 1984 an English Judoka killed a French fighter (I think he was French) because he choked him out on the way to the ground and then held him...it was the ref's job (they said) to spot that the guy was unconcious. They brought him back to life, luckily.

So in this case what it comes down to is integrity. Yoshida afaik was an Olympic medallist so he would know easily if someone was passing out....tricks dont really work at world class level, especially on the ground. Yoshida wasn't taking the strangle off, he was telling the ref the guy was out.

It's all passed now of course, but it ain't cool to say that the guy was lying about it.

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Mark, I'm with you mate!

I'm personally getting tired of people slating Yoshida, the people who are are generally MMAist who can't believe that the 'pure/singular art' defeated a man renowed for his MMA competance. Whilst people in the Judo fraternity said,

'Yoshida won, yippee!' and that was it.

3. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Yup yoshida rocks.

What I'm sick of is the gracies who really need to get over themselves...they aren't any good anymore.Period.

As well as being sore losers.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Aren't ANY good? ROFLMAO!

5. Hybrid_Killer

Hybrid_Killer New Member

Maybe you misunderstood me.

What I meant to say is that the aren't any good in the MMA arena anymore.

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

The Gracies are a great family of MAists, they prove to the world that you need to have a grappling game to fight. Now that people know and even train the Gracie style, they're gonna have to work harder to stay at the top, this should take nothing away from them!

7. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Nah, In my opinion there's only a few Gracies that are competing in the MMA circuit, All the names I could think of is Royce and Renzo that are competing in Pride.

8. karateka

karateka New Member

Gracie cant have been out

Hey I dont rele know very much about Judo or Pride/UFC stuff, but if you look at the videos from crovax612's post, you see firstly that the choke wasn't even on - gracie's neck and chin was free and I don't see Yoshida is applying significant pressure to the side of the neck, and secondly, gracie was up and protesting the second yoshida climbed off him, so I think he can't have been out. Having said that, I don't know why gracie went all limp while Yoshida was on top of him - he can't have been out, and resting???that doesn't seem realistic.

So, I don't blame the referee much for stopping it - until I saw the alternate angle it looked like Gracie was losing conciousness fast, and he has to take gracie's health into consideration. I also reckon gracie must take some blame because wateva he was doing, he did it voluntarily and should have known it would look like he was being choked out. Basically, I think gracie can't have been out, even though I'm biased, prefer Judo to BJJ and wantd Yoshida to win.
    Just an Opinion

9. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

How do these threads go on for so long, you should all be sports commentators.

K

Hows your hols going col

10. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

I saw The 1st Shock wave Fight.
    It is very clear Royce was not out.

The 2nd Fight Royce was a Victam of his own Rules
    Beacuse there were no Judges The Fight was a Draw.

Yoshida had a Good Return against Mark Hunt.

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

just on a different tangent- does anyone actually like watching the gracies fight nowadays? I mean it was fun when they owned everybody, but now, their way of fighting just annoys me. like royler vs genki, all royler did the entire match was pull guard and wait for genki to make a mistake. and he paid for it by way of getting his face mashed into the ground. dont get me wrong, i love grappling, just not the way most of the gracies seem to do it.

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Good and valid question Ikken - but as you stated - on a tangent. Feel free to start a new thread with it - this baby is going to sleeeeep.

*Yoda wraps arm round thread's neck and squeezes....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.