yorkshire silat clubs

Discussion in 'Silat' started by chunkypuffin, Apr 5, 2007.

1. chunkypuffin

chunkypuffin New Member

Hello all,

would really appreciate your advice. In the past I've tried a few martial arts for a year or so at a time, due to different reasons, but never found one that I really got bitten by. Have recently been looking into Silat and feel this may suit my personality/needs better. I'm after any advice as to good instructors in the Doncaster or Wakefield/West Yorkshire area. Only name I've been given so far is Mick Shore in Doncaster. Afraid I'm one of those annoying people who likes to research things fully before diving in, so would really appreciate the combined expertise of this forum in helping me.
    Tanks anyway for anyway in advance for any advice given :) ,

Craig

2. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Paul Deans runs harimau(under guru richard de bourdes) classes in knaesborough north yorks,if you need any more details Paul has a web site at www.yorkshire-silat.co.uk,Paul has been involved in martial arts for 30 years or so and silat under guru de bourdes for 20 years or so,good luck :)

3. Wali

Wali Valued Member

I was up in Harrogate a few weeks back, and popped in to say hello and pay my respects to Paul. I can truthfully say that he is a very warm and charming man, as well as a meticulous instructor. While I was there, he gave his personal attention to two new students for the whole class. *Sorry Paul if you read this, I never got the chance to come back the following week and take you up on your generous offer of a meal*

If your further South, you can learn the Satria Fighting Arts (The Wali Songo silat component) from Bob Sykes group in Huddersfield, at the Colne Valley Black Belt Academy (http://www.cvbba.co.uk/pencaksilat.htm).

Either way, your bound to learn good stuff, be well looked after and have a great time.

Good Luck!
    Wali

4. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Wali you described paul Deans perfectly,he has a heart of gold and is a very good teacher,also he can perform his silat at a high level when he wants and needs to :)

5. chunkypuffin

chunkypuffin New Member

yorkshire clubs

Hi all,

many thanks for your kind replies. Both of the instructors look excellent and I appreciate your recommendations. Unfortunately, my professional and private life are pretty hectic for the rest of the year so I really need a club in/close to Doncaster or Wakefield. As I say, Mick Shore is the only one I have found in Doncaster, he practices Silat Lincah. Does anyone here know of Mr. Shore or if this style is comprehensive. Ideally I'm looking for a style incorporating locks, (low) kicks, strikes and groundfighting - as I say, a bit of everything.

Once again many thanks for all your help

Hope you are all having a good bank holiday weekend,

Craig

6. Khatami

Khatami Valued Member

Silat Lincah is an all-round style that encompasses all of the things you mention. Why not contact the instructor and ask if you can go along to the class to watch a session or meet him to discuss your requirements. Lincah UK also has a website which a google search should reveal.
    All the best
    Nigel Sutton

7. Catman

Catman Valued Member

Dear Mr Nigel,

How can I get in touch with you privately?I have tried to send you a private message but apparently it doesn't work.

Many thanks.

Catman(Catalin)

8. Khatami

Khatami Valued Member

Hi Catalin,
    You can e-mail me through the zhong ding website www.zhong-ding.com.
    All the best
    Nigel

9. Catman

Catman Valued Member

Thank you so much Sir.

Catman

10. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member