Yonkyo & Gokyu concepts

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Kobudo, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

I've been looking at similarities between Aikido and the koryu Jujutsu I've studied.

I've been looking at Ikkyo, Nikkyo, etc, and understand these were your O'Sensei's favourate techniques, or important principles, etc, taken from his study of Daito Ryu - please correct if wrong

With Yonkyo i've seen 2 versions, 1 that could be described as a lateral wrist lock against the little finger edge of the wrist, the other a throw with the wrist and tendons in a fulcrum.

My understanding of this is that they are different techniques but both from the yonkijo series from Daito Ryu, and the underlying principle is concentrating your whole body's energy on a single point - please correct if wrong

I'm having trouble with Gokyu, the version I've seen many times resembles Ikkyo or Daito Ryu's Ippon Dori, finishing with a wrist lock on the ground with the back of the wrist on the floor - can anyone tell me the principle being taught here?

Many thanks

2. Chris Li

Chris Li Valued Member

As it's generally done - Gokyo is done as a defense against knife techniques. Most dojo don't actually spend that much time on it (FWIW).

For any of the wrist controls - IMO, the important thing to remember is that they actually have very little to do with what's happening on the wrist. Mainly, the are just ways of studying different methods of connecting into the body.

Consider this - even a lot of pain on the wrist does very little to affect the bulk of the attacker's mass.

Best,

Chris
    Aikido Sangenkai
    Aikido Hawaii

3. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

So in the version I've seen, is it the lock at the end that is the key point to consider, rather than the take down? Are you able to point me in the direction of any other examples of Gokyu?

Thanks

4. Chris Li

Chris Li Valued Member

Hmm, I would say that the key point is what you your self are doing in your body. Basically, that means that neither the lock at the end nor the take down are really that important - they are expressions of what's happening in your body, which is always basically the same.

It's not Gokyo, but Hiroshi Kato does some good things that are fairly clear - but if you're not careful you'll just end up with an empty copy:

http://youtu.be/_wxWTKP0RxM

Best,

Chris
    Aikido Sangenkai
    Aikido Hawaii

5. Kobudo

Kobudo Valued Member

Thanks for this, I'm not looking to copy technique, just interested in the different concepts and the similarities/differences between Aikido and some older Jujutsu Ryu

6. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Dear Kobudo,
    It is not at the end of the Gokyu thats important , its the initial contact with the attackers hand [especially if armed ]which is the key factor.Care should be taken here to make sure the partners weapon eg tanto,is not near yourself.The other main factor is the waza should be done in Ura waza form.The final application puts pressure on the wrist via the manipulation of the elbow joint.