Yon Gae Tul Side Kicks

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by martinnharvey, Feb 7, 2015.

1. martinnharvey

martinnharvey Valued Member

Can anyone confirm if the High section Side Piercing kicks in Yon Gae are performed with the hands pulled across the body or as normal with the leading hand punching over the kicking leg?

Both copies of the ITF 15 volume encyclopaedia I have say the first kick is done normally, punching over the kicking leg and the second one is performed pulling the arms across the body, however the ITF CD ROM video shows both performed punching over the kicking leg, whilst Master Hogan's black belt patterns book says the hands are pulled across the body on both kicks.

Confused!!!

2. martinnharvey

Have had it confirmed by a 9th Degree that it's neither.
    The hands are held in front of the chest on both kicks

3. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

#s 28th and 35 "Pull both hands in front of chest." Appears in newer condensed versions and it is in my notes from a technical conference held by General Choi in 1996 (Canada).

4. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

FYI (unless you are going back to the1972 or 1965 Text) the term "Section" is not used to specify an attack or block level. Sections are an area i.e. shoulder and above for high to designate vital spots on the defender. Attack levels are specific i.e eye = high (with exceptions).

5. martinnharvey

Sorry - I still use section. It's an old habit. I shall try to keep it in mind
    It's interesting that the condensed version says pull hands in front of chest as the 2008 15 volume still has it the old way ;-)

Thanks for the input

6. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Although some may have difficulty accepting this, as noted above, the author specificaly acknowledged errors and stated corrections or revisions which, for whatever reason did not make it into the next edition(s) as quickly as they should have. (note, that this one was stated as early as 1996)

The old / unified ITF did put out technical text corrections in it's newsletter (this was not one I could find) and the ITF V still has some out there although some could argue that some of their corrections were more like interpretations of some items.