yoko gake

Discussion in 'Judo' started by saikyou, Oct 14, 2003.

1. saikyou

saikyou New Member

i was reading a book about judo and there is part there about Kyuzo Mifune's yoko gake. it is said that Mifune's(10th dan) yoko gake is executed by gripping both sleeve. the yoko gake that I know uses the standard grip.(one on the sleeve and one on the lapel)

there is also an illustration and the thing that i noticed is that tori's foot is blocking uke's foot not on the side but in front. the strong pull to the right side will drop uke on the right side of tori.

any variations on this throw?

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Yeah, lots... The best way I can describe the way we do it is as Ko Soto Gari with a follow through to the ground.

3. saikyou

saikyou New Member

what is that follow through? I usually go into hold-down mode.

4. jonsku

jonsku New Member

Jim: so you kind of start with ko soto gari and once you have a contact with ukes feet you fall too like in yoko gake? sounds effective to me :D

jonsku

5. saikyou

saikyou New Member

yeah, much like of a surprise effect. :D

6. Jim

Jim New Member

Yep! :D

7. saikyou

saikyou New Member

i have a question. imagine tori attacked in the right leg(o soto gari) then as uke reaps tori's leg, tori jumps and thrust his left foot on uke's left ankle and fall down. do you still call this technique yoko gake?

8. Jim

Jim New Member

Nope... That'd be Ashi Hasami / Tatami Katana.. Either Leg scissors or Mat Sword, depending on how the action of it goes.

9. saikyou

saikyou New Member

ashi hasami and tatami katana? never heard. please discuss. :) is ashi hasami similar to kani basami?(flying scissors)

about the throw that i have in mind, the action is like a baseball slide directed to the left ankle of uke. tori can't attack the right ankle, w/c is the main target of the common yoko gake, because the right leg of uke is the one reaping his right leg. even if the other leg is attacked, uke still lands on the left side of tori. much like an ordinary yoko gake except this time, the other leg is attacked.

10. Jim

Jim New Member

Kinda, but the action in on the lower part of the leg - one leg across or just under the knee, the other behind the ankle.

I don't get at what you're trying to say about the action of the throw. Can you take some pics?

11. saikyou

saikyou New Member

sorry, no pics. well, it looks like ashi basami but instead of twisting, you push uke's ankle. :) how about tatami katana? how do you execute it?

12. Jim

Jim New Member

The same way but backwards(?) So, say you're coming down on the right side of Uke and you execute the technique, with Ashi Hasami Uke would fall backwards. With Tatami Katana, the twist is the opposite and Uke would fall forwards.

13. saikyou

saikyou New Member

unlike ashi hasami(i assume that you do it like kani basami, no grip) i still maintain my right sleeve grip to pull uke downwards. thats how i nailed it. very unorthodox. :) btw, thanks for the info about ashi hasami and tatami katana.