Yngwie Malmsteen

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ad McG, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I don't know if you can get it where you are, but he writes for Guitarist magazine in the UK and does lessons in it etc. Very nifty stuff indeed

2. DaveMustaine

DaveMustaine New Member

^^
    Well, I'm up in Canada, so I'd probably have a tough time getting a hold of such a magazine. I found a 57 minute video of his on video.google.com, and it was awesome. It inspired me to rework my picking technique!

3. lordazazel

lordazazel Valued Member

Interesting thread this. MALMSTEEN has always divided opinions among the rock and metal community more than most artists ever could. He's one of those "love him or hate him" characters, I guess. But guess what? I'm one of the few "in-betweens" out there, who is pretty much sitting on the fence. I neither like nor dislike him. :)

If I had to give my two cents worth, I would say that while there is no denying his supreme talent from a technical point of view, the fact that he hasn't had a universally acclaimed album in well over a decade tells you something. In otherwords, like so many in the "prog" and "neo-classical" sub-genres, he lacks the ability to write a killer bridge.

Personally, I have always had more time for those who are more into the SONG, rather than just showing off. (Bands like RUSH, DREAM THEATER, VAN HALEN, SYMPHONY X, etc. are more my thing, as far as the ultra technical side of things go :cool: ) I feel that MALMSTEEN does have a tendency to overplay and while I haven't seen him live, I have spoken to many who have and their opinions are sharply divided.

4. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I like Yngwie as a musician. I've heard he's a total jerk as a person (which I have little doubt he is), but that doesn't make him a bad artist. I thought the "Alchemy" album was particularly good.
    A little shameless plugging for my fellow metal fans - if you're into high speed power metal, check out DragonForce. I think they're based out the UK.... they have some absolutely amazing guitarwork.

5. lordazazel

lordazazel Valued Member

Dragonforce are based in the UK, but are multi-racial (one guitarist's fdrom Hong Kong, the other from New Zealand. The singer's South African and the keyboarder Ukrainian). Personally, I think the jury's still out on them. :confused: Their debut was excellent, but I think they could be a one-trick pony, if their disappointing, formulaic second album was anything to go by. Time will tell on that one, starting with the new album that's due out in a month....

At the end of the day, Malmsteen has stagnated and Dragonforce, despite their obvious ability, are one step away from being a parody. They are really offering nothing new (take a Helloween vinyl record and play it at 45rpm instead of 33rpm and you've got Dragonforce, with all the tired cliches of the power metal scene :rolleyes: ). Meanwhile I think the power metal scene has FAR superior bands to offer, like Symphony X, Kamelot, Shadowkeep, Sonata Arctica and Primal Fear, to name but a few....

6. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Not knowing him personally, I can't really judge. But given how he behaved on one of the Pantera home videos, and his whole "unleash the ******* fury" bit, he seems to come across as a jerk.

But I did read a recent interview article with him and he seems like he might be mellowing out. In fact, I believe his latest solo album is named "Unleash the Fury"... so maybe he's loosening up and taking the jokes in stride.

7. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

8. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I had a friend or two that met him a while back, said he is the single biggest jerk they had ever had the displeasure of meeting.

9. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Well, there you go. Great way to treat your fans, the people that spend their money to support you. :(

But whatever. Just shut your mouth and play. :D I never got into Yngwie that much, but I respect his ability and always found his use of that scalloped fretboard to be interesting.

10. red-tkd

red-tkd bloodred ridin' hood

hm heard that from a lot of guys that Yngwie surely can play the guitar like hell but is somehow very arrogant and other stuff....

well since i've never been to a live show of him and i am not able to play any song of him i would say that he is a good guitarist.

11. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

Love the man. He's so skilled, such complex guitar playing.

12. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

Yeah. I remember reading somewhere about how people think he's a bit of a jerk and an egomaniac. But the guy has skills nonetheless.
    I like him, along with guys like Vai, EVH, Satriani, etc.
    Although I haven't heard Michael Angelo Batio yet. Apparently he's worth looking into. From what I heard he won a competition as fastest shredder in the world. Never heard him but. So i've gotta hear him too. lol