Yin-Yang Principle. What's it means to you.

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Simplicity, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

To mean, one way it means :) "Life in its-self" But it means much more, for different people. What's it means to you?

2. drew nylen

drew nylen New Member

to me yin and yang principle is a fight between to of the best fighters ever so good that neither will ever win but to stop fighting would be that both of them loose. for me having done internal arts and lving JKD it is a combination of the things my muscles can do fighting against the things my mind can do hopefully one day the two will become one in a state of wuji and my mind and my muscles will fight as one

I hope this is what you were looking for .If you meant about life I will have to write another little paragraph

3. samharber

samharber New Member

To me, its fairly simple. Be hard when you need to be hard, be soft when you need to be soft, change between the two to your best advantage.

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

For every action there is a reaction, understanding this helps you understand MA as a whole.

regards

Pat

5. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

To me, yin-yang principle means. Without one there would not be the other. When you look at the logo of Yin-Yang, one would notice that the white half of the circle from the big end runs into the small end. Same can be said from the Black part. Here we go: At the Hardnest extreme of the white circle lies softnest. So if I through a punch then at the very end of this punch is softness, after it has run it's course. The same can be said of the Black circle. At the extreme Softnest of the circle lies hardnest. If I through a punch soft and it runs it course then at the end lies hardnest. This is way the White and Black flow into each other. They are like the shoe and foot, they move together. As far as martial arts goes, when they soft be hard, or when the are hard be soft. Softness is all the time, hardness is just enough to cause a explosion.

Take It Easy,

6. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I thought more martial artist knew about this principle and how it relates to their martial arts training. Hope to here from ya!

7. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

It's about oneness. Nothing mystical about the Yin Yang. It's just nature of opposites where one extreme would lead to another. Too hard, turns soft and vice versa.

8. Pete Ticali

Pete Ticali Valued Member

the ebb & flow in all things

Hello
    It is simple to think in terms of Soft/hard, Fast/Slow, Positive/Negative, Black/White........ but this is really only the surface of it.

Ying/Yang- Yin/Yawn is as much the relationship between or together as it is the division or difference apart.

It could be your reminder that as you grow furthest away, you become closest to returning. In the darkest of night you can anticipate the coming light of day.

It could show you a path that says fight strength by yielding and combat the wind by being a wall.

in totality, it is the reminder that in all things there is change. live this moment, because it will be but a memory in an instant. Be your best now in all things because it is your last chance in this moment.

In all things, make your peace now, Now is also in constant change. Do not miss this opportunity while it is here!

Just some food for thought

Pete Ticali

9. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Snake vs crane principle... the opposite energies are in balance so neither can dominate.

If you are too yang/hard/rigid, you'll fall over from lack of balance, your punches will be slow and you'll damage your joints/muscles from the strain.

On the other hand if you're too yin your body will become ill and you'll have no power behind you.

That's why in hardness there's softness.

You can go on and on to expand on the idea... e.g. when one muscle contracts for a punch, other muscles must relax for it to be effective... also if you're defending one side you've got the other side open...