Yet another death :(

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pitfighter, Jun 28, 2010.

1. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

while im very in favor of people making there own choices.....and i compete in mma and would not want the law to take it away.

this thing about only 2 deaths verse footballs 22.5 a year is not good stats as to which is more dangerous.

1. mma is real young and imature as a sport.
    2. alot less people do it than football
    3.maybe there is more talent diparity, maybe less
    4. maybe guys are hitting harder....

who knows but to throw out one number is a real acurate refflection of the dangers of a sport.

i dont really have the answers

i do know its dangerous......it has to be ...your willfully trying to pound another person to a cuncussion

off the cuff ....i dont know if this is bs or not (and am to lazy to look it up) but i think golf is real dangerous.....something about getting struck by lightning...go figure

2. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

It's sad that it happened. Condolences to his loved ones.

RIP Michael.

At least, and a small consolation this is, he died doing what he loved to do imho...

He must have loved to do it, or he would not have done it. Something most people would never do.

Although no parent should have to bury their child.

Sad indeed.

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Nobody forced the lad into the ring. He knew the risks and wanted to go ahead. It's not a bad death, he died doing what he loved. Other than in bed mid-stride with Jessica Alba can't think of many better ways to go.

R.I.P. Michael.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

How sad. Condolences to his family and friends.

Can we please not get into the statistics of how dangerous sports are, they mean absolutely nothing - lest we forget that statistically, the most dangerous sport on the planet is lawn bowls.

Every time we step onto the mat/into the ring, we are accepting the risk that one bad fall, one missed block or one slow off the mark referee could cause us serious injury or death. You can either accept those risks, small as they are, or you can walk away. Michael Kirkham accepted those risks because he loved the sport and as sad as his death is, a man can ask little more than to die chasing his dreams.

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Our thoughts MUST go to those remaining. I recall that I walked about simply REFUSING to believe that a good friend had died. One moment here the next gone.

My sincere condolences to the family.

6. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

not a bad death?

Dear Polar Bear,
    Is there such a thing as a good death?Any death no matter how good relatively speaking is not something I would be willing to undertake[no pun intended].I know we all face the Reaper , but why try and put death into categories ?All death is death. Even popping your clogs while being with Jessica Alba is not a good method for me.I d rather read a book and be whole and hearty.I might have second thoughts if Jessica cashed in her chips ?

7. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

RIP always sad to see someone die in the sport.

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Death is never good, but not all deaths are equally bad. Dying suddenly while doing something you love is a "good death" when compared to wasting away over several years from a painful terminal disease, slowly losing control of your bowels and your mind, etc.

9. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

near death

Put me in the last two categories of you listed symptoms!!Might just pass my M.O.T. with some luck.

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Absolutely there is such a thing as a good death. In fact there is only one thing that beats a good death and that is a good life. If you cannot categorise death then you cannot categorise life. Since all life is life. I am not willing to accept such objectivity. I prefer to create meaning for my life and subsequent death. Whether others understand that meaning is irrelevant, it is after all a personal experience.

The Bear.

11. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Of course they mean something! Ugh. I hate this attitude that "statistics can prove anything" it's demonstrably untrue.
    Lawn Bowls is the most dangerous sport? Nonsense. It might have the highest rate of deaths of players (I assume you are referring to this, or similar: http://www.sportingo.com/all-sports/a10042_ten-most-dangerous-sports-world) but that's clearly down to the age/health of the players rather than the sport itself.

Combat sports are, by and large, a lot safer than other activities - but that doesn't mean we should a) mourn any tradegy that happens b) seek to educate and make improvements.

12. holyheadjch

I never said statistics could be used to prove anything, but that quoting selected statistics without context or understanding leads to poor conclusions. That only 2 people have died in MMA gives a false indication as to the risks involved in the sport.

13. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

You said they mean nothing. Which is the same end result as "You can prove anything with statistics".

Anyway, I agree the stat of "Only ever 2 deaths" may be misleading. I don't know enough about where that figure comes from to argue. i.e. does it go back to old Vale Tudo days? Is it ever accurate?

I think the risks in MMA of death are probably less so than pro-boxing, and much more akin to amateur/olympic boxing due to the number of rounds etc. I can't back this up with anything mind you, i'm just stating an opinion.
    I think what might be much more interesting to look into would be the injury rate in MMA compared to other sports/martial arts.

14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Ask and ye shall receive. Johns Hopkins good enough?

http://www.jssm.org/combat/1/18/v5combat-18.pdf

15. holyheadjch