Yet another death :(

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pitfighter, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

RIP Michael

What can you do? Semi pro favours a grappler too much and makes eTching the fight something only for people who know the ins and outs of groundwork.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

I doubt they will release a video of the fight.

I read through some of the comments on the story and some people say they saw the fight.

Sounds like the real damage was caused by a slam with Michael Kirkham landing on his head and neck. This was followed by GnP with punches and elbows some of which may have been to the back of the head which went undefended.

Condolences to all those involved.

4. Moi

Refs need to be quick and know what their doing. I can remember at one of our shows the ref stepping in after about 10 seconds to stop a fight as the lad was taken complety by suprise and just didn't defend himself. 10 seconds is a long time with blows raining down. The ref got quite a bit of stick for the decision but I agreed with him . Better safe than sorry. Could the guy have got his poo together and gone on to win the fight? Who knows but after the show I let the ref know he'd made the right choice.

5. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

No One Ever Really Dies

6. Moi

I'm sure that B/S is going to make the guys parents, family and friends all warm and fuzzy inside

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

The title is "yet another death." Is that really an accurate title when this is only the second death in modern MMA's history?

Just to put things in perspective, American football causes 22.5 deaths per year, on average. source.

Not that that's any consolation to Michael Kirkham's family, but I just had to toss that out there before the pundits start trying to use this to revoke MMA's legality.

8. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

It should. There's a Hindu saying, 'only a fool laments the dead.'

Once we thought our friend died but ehe was only knocked out and everyone was sad and confused and the guy that hit him started to cry and i just said don't worry about him, he's not actually dead. A friend asked 'is this really the right time to bring that up' and i said it only makes sense to bring it up now.

If i see someone die i won't be sad for them because i know that life can never die and i would like the same attitude from others if and when i die.

9. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Neither the guy or his family are Hindu and they most likely do not share that belief.

Reminds of when Richerd Gere went on stage after nine eleven and said "Now is a time for forgiveness" to an audience that included friends of those from the emergency services who died there.

Always easier to have some "belief" rather than face your fears.

10. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

Are you saying that i have conjured up a belief because i'm afraid to face my fear of dying?

11. Moi

Oh well I'll get straight onto the family and see if they've checked for that shall I?

12. BuddhaPalm

BuddhaPalm Valued Member

Just tell them honestly because it's true. I think it's selfish to mourne like that, he died so will you one day so just let it be.

13. Moi

No. You're young enough not to have to think about it just yet. You haven't conjored anything. You either come from a society with believes this claptrap so you've been indoctrinated with it since birth or your a bandwagon jumper picking and choosing different faiths because you think it makes you look spiritual and clever.

Please say you're not from White European desent

14. koyo

I believe that you must find belief in yourself through experience and have the spirit to stand ready to accept the consequences of your actions and words without having some received philosophy to fall back on.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

There's a much more profound Hindu saying, 'only a fool posts flippant and dismissive posts about dead people under the misaprehension that what he thinks is true actually is.'

16. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

RIP Michael Kirkham.

I like that saying.

BuddhaPalm, please do not saturate this thread with 'wise' sayings and things that you will most likely claim to be "beyond our ability to understand." No offense meant, but I do not want this to turn into another weight regime for beginners thread war. Let's stay on topic, and if there are any posts that violate the terms of service just report them.

Respectfully,
    Patrick

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Wow... pathetic.

Pathetic that someone would come on a thread like this and start trying to drop pseudo spiritualistic nonsense... in a not so subtle 'look-at-me-I'm-clever-and-wordly' attempt to make the thread about him... and his...err... cleverness. Get yourself to India Buddha Palm and deal and live amongst Hindu's before you start rattling on your idiocy and your **** poor understanding of Hinduism. If you do you might find that Hindu's like everyone else mourn death just like everyone else.

Stop being such an absolute attention seeking asshat.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  18. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

RIP Michael Kirkham.

So do people think this was a tragic freak accident or something avoidable? I honestly don't know enough about MMA to tell one from the other.

19. koyo

I would think the refferee should have moved in quicker also being medically fit is no insurance against ground and pound.

Whenever I watch it I am waiting for an "accident" to occur.Certainly needs sharp reffereeing.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So do people think this was a tragic freak accident or something avoidable? I honestly don't know enough about MMA to tell one from the other.

Tragic yes. Freak no. You have enough people chucking each other about, hitting each other and all that then this will happen at some point. I don't think it's avoidable either. Obviously have safety as a primary concern but other than that this can happen at any time.
    The only thing that really strikes me is how tall he was for his weight. Maybe he was too slim for something as hard as MMA? Maybe there's a lack of resilience there?
    Bit too early to speculate though.
    There will be an autopsy so maybe that will shed light?