Yes it's one of those.....A vs B threads

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Cathain, Aug 10, 2007.

1. BilliardPete

BilliardPete Valued Member

Well first 8 months isn't very long to build your fundation in Kung Fu. Sorry guy, your just a beginner no matter how much you train. 8 months is nothing.

But that isn't what you are asking about. If you like Kung Fu, I say stick with it and try some seminars in Judo, Jujitsu, and Jui-Jitsu (Gracie). If any of them stroke you the right way great.

as for the drive, unless it would mean you wouldn't go because of it, it's a BS reason to pick a school.

If you want to be a martial artist, you need and will sacrifice far more than a couple of miles of drive time.

I wish you the very best in your journey. Remember, it's not about the destination, it's the road you travel...

Be the best you can be.

Pete

2. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

Go for the Judo. I started Judo (fairly recently) and really liked it. Coming from a place with little to no alive training, it was really fresh to jump into grappling sessions at the end of every class and randori during the class.

Also, Judo does teach those Ju Jutsu techniques that are labeled "too-dangerous". They just don't teach them to a low level practitioner. However, once you are testing for Shodan, you will probably know ankle and leg locks.

Try to find a traditional Kodokan-style Judo dojo that doesn't focus totally on throws (Olympic Judo).

3. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I too would recommend Judo, as you generally have a better idea of what you're getting into with a judo class than a traditional Jujutsu class. Japanese Jujutsu, in my opinion, falls alongside kenpo as one of those martial arts which can range from an effective teaching of all ranges of combat to utter BS. Judo, on the other hand, you know you will get effective training in high impact takedowns, and will likely get some decent ground skills as well.
    I would recommend investigating both schools, in case the JJJ place is high quality. Focus on how they do Randori - is it fully resistant Randori, with both people trying to strike/throw/lock/whatever each other, or is it one person throwing a slow punch and falling when his partner nudges him? If it's the former, great. If it's the latter, stay away. If there's NO Randori, definitely stay away.

4. Bubba Buck

Bubba Buck New Member

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Unless the question is "Who is the Prime Minister of England" :D

Good luck though Cathain!

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Never having done JJ, I can't comment on it. But having done both Kung Fu and Judo, I think you should find that those two will compliment each other very well.

7. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

...which is part of the problem with england ;)

8. Cool As

Cool As Valued Member

If you have a good striking background, definately pick Judo because you'd already be good at controlling ranges and Judo would allow you to throw your opponent at will if it ever came into clinch/grappling distance.

Jujitsu is great as a self defense art, because it teaches so many techniques. It's also great because it teaches defense against multiple attackers but if you want to train to be good against strikers and other skilled/resisting opponents you'll have to train outside of class with partners to perfect your entry so you can set up throws

9. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Although I had decided to stay solely with Kung fu for a whilst longer before branching out, a couple of boxers joined my kwoon recently and it's got me thinking about cross-training again (damn them!).

One question though - my local Judo club only seems to meet once a week.
    That's ok for me as it would mean I could still go to one Kung fu class per week and swap the other for Judo. But is once a week enough to get anything from Judo?

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Based purely on my own experiences, I'd say that you should be able to get away with just one class a week more easily in Judo than in Kung Fu.

11. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

one class of judo a week beats no classes of judo a week.

12. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Once a week isn't exactly ideal but if the teachers are only teaching the one class a week then hopefully they are to some extent compensating for that. I only do Judo twice a week (I could do up to 4 times a week) Because I have thai boxing and that does help but if I have a run of missed lessons and only train once a week I don't feel like I'm advancing much because the lessons are often structured around a weekly theme.

13. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

Thanks for the input guys.
    I think I'll sacrifice my Thursday night Kung Fu class next week to go and have a look at the Judo class, & see exactly what the score is.